• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Simon Katich scored a ton and then get dropped for Symonds the next game. Obviously not the best call in the situation, but the selectors were ruthless enough to make calls like that in the past, and they should be able to do it now if the circumstances call for it.

tooextracool

International Coach
Simon Katich scored a ton and then get dropped for Symonds the next game. Obviously not the best call in the situation, but the selectors were ruthless enough to make calls like that in the past, and they should be able to do it now if the circumstances call for it.
and that turned out to be such an inspired selection?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
They picked him for that match though. He certainly didn't fail in it, so they had no case to drop him. You don't pick someone, watch them perform and then drop them for the next game unless you're desperate to change the balance or you have a player returning from injury. If they thought his performances before that much were unsatisfactory to a point of dropping then he wouldn't have played the match to begin with.
Nah, disagree. Not when it's the last Test of a tour. The time for change is after an unsuccessful series, not halfway through it. And UIMM there weren't many options for replacement batsmen at that point.

andyc

and that turned out to be such an inspired selection?

Was just pointing out that the idea that North scored a hundred in his last Test and thus has to play the next one isn't necessarily set in stone.

tooextracool

International Coach
Well it just seems to lack thought if you ask me. Clearly the selectors believed before his last test that he should be in the side so its hard to understand why they would not want him in the side after he scored a century. If they drop him now, it would be an admission to the fact that they made the wrong choice last game.

social

It's pretty simple when you look at North's series stats in India - approx 120 @ 30

In other words, NOT GOOD ENOUGH when taken into the context of his overall career and the fact that he was drinking at the last chance saloon

Same with Hussey - his test stats over the last couple of years are deplorable and the fact that he made 71* in his last ODI match is totally irrelevant

I'm totally ambivalent as to whether the next series is the Ashes, SL, Bangladesh or the UAE

These guys deserved to be dropped

Oscillatingmind

U19 Cricketer
It's pretty simple when you look at North's series stats in India - approx 120 @ 30

In other words, NOT GOOD ENOUGH when taken into the context of his overall career and the fact that he was drinking at the last chance saloon

Same with Hussey - his test stats over the last couple of years are deplorable and the fact that he made 71* in his last ODI match is totally irrelevant

I'm totally ambivalent as to whether the next series is the Ashes, SL, Bangladesh or the UAE

These guys deserved to be dropped
Who do you pick ahead of them both

Watty
Katty
Potty
clakky
------????
------????
ect

Oscillatingmind

U19 Cricketer

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I encourage all England fans to vote in it, to cause as much media hysteria as possible.

I have voted for such delights as:

7. Who is your preferred option to take over from Ponting? - Shane Watson
10. Who should be Australian coach? - Merv Hughes
12. Who should be chairman of selectors? - John Howard
16. Who should be the Australian spinner for the Ashes series? - Bryce McGain
18. If you could add one player to our team, who would it be? - Brett Lee

As well as the obvious 'Ponting shouldn't be captain' and 'Michael Clarke is not the correct choice to take over from Ponting'.

Jarquis

I encourage all England fans to vote in it, to cause as much media hysteria as possible.

I have voted for such delights as:

7. Who is your preferred option to take over from Ponting? - Shane Watson
10. Who should be Australian coach? - Merv Hughes
12. Who should be chairman of selectors? - John Howard
16. Who should be the Australian spinner for the Ashes series? - Bryce McGain
18. If you could add one player to our team, who would it be? - Brett Lee

As well as the obvious 'Ponting shouldn't be captain' and 'Michael Clarke is not the correct choice to take over from Ponting'.
They don't even spell Swann's name right ffs.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep. I'm serious about getting a good DAB radio though. You can't realistically just wait till the next evening for some plasticated ITV highlights, and you need to share the pain of 4am half-sleep with the rest of us, live TV or no live TV

Jarquis

Yep. I'm serious about getting a good DAB radio though. You can't realistically just wait till the next evening for some plasticated ITV highlights, and you need to share the pain of 4am half-sleep with the rest of us, live TV or no live TV
Yeah, I was going to buy a DAB if I passed my driving test today... but turns out I need to throw another £107 in that direction.
Can get it through my TV in my room though, but that makes it a little more difficult to fall asleep whilst listening due to the ridiculous light :p
I'm looking forward to the Boxing Day test most, usually go to my dad's then which means no timeout on the internet!!
January test will be highlights only due to exams :(