• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haddin is all about blasting a quick 50 or going bust. Paine seems like a proper lower order keeper bat who can shut one end up and stop a collapse.
Look at their records - no comparison

If the truth be known, Paine was very lucky to be chosen as backup as the guy from Queensland was far and away the best keeper/batsman in Oz last year

Shri

Mr. Glass

If the truth be known, Paine was very lucky to be chosen as backup as the guy from Queensland was far and away the best keeper/batsman in Oz last year
No comparison? Just a 3 run difference in avg. Paine frustrated bowlers in these two tests in India more than Haddin ever has at any time.

Do you mean Matthew Wade when you talk about the guy from Qld?

social

No comparison? Just a 3 run difference in avg. Paine frustrated bowlers in these two tests in India more than Haddin ever has at any time.

Do you mean Matthew Wade when you talk about the guy from Qld?
Haddin averages 40 in fc, 39 in tests and is a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better keeper

Guy from Queensland is Chris Hartley who was the Sheffield Player of the Year last season

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Haddin is all about blasting a quick 50 or going bust. Paine seems like a proper lower order keeper bat who can shut one end up and stop a collapse.
All true. But Haddin is still the better batsman. Once he brings consistently & camn to his batting, he has the ability to be the counter-attacking lower-middle order batsman like Gilly & Symonds was. Which is would work well again, once AUS have a solid top 6 again.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member

Hmm well i have not even seen Hartley bat so i cant comment. But if he is indeed a better bat than Paine, then with also Wade as back-up (who i have seen & rate Paine batting above his). The keeping depth is probably stronger than i thought.

social

All true. But Haddin is still the better batsman. Once he brings consistently & camn to his batting, he has the ability to be the counter-attacking lower-middle order batsman like Gilly & Symonds was. Which is would work well again, once AUS have a solid top 6 again.
Except for the fact that Haddin is also capable of scoring test hundreds

Aside from his skills with the gloves (or relative lack thereof as he is definitely behind Haddin and a looooong way behind Manou), the biggest criticism of Paine is that he scores nice 30s which is reflected in his fc career

Shri

Mr. Glass
Haddin was better suited to the Aus side when they were not prone to batting collapses for short while after Gilly's retirement. I believe a batter like Paine is better suited to the current Aus side. If Hussey gets back to form and when North is replaced, Haddin would walk in to the side.

social

Hmm well i have not even seen Hartley bat so i cant comment. But if he is indeed a better bat than Paine, then with also Wade as back-up (who i have seen & rate Paine batting above his). The keeping depth is probably stronger than i thought.
Hartley is only the second keeper in history (behind Haddin btw) to score 800 shield runs in a season

He's ugly but effective

social

Haddin was better suited to the Aus side when they were not prone to batting collapses for short while after Gilly's retirement. I believe a batter like Paine is better suited to the current Aus side. If Hussey gets back to form and when North is replaced, Haddin would walk in to the side.
I simply do not understand the logic of picking a player who is inferior in every respect except age

Shri

Mr. Glass
I simply do not understand the logic of picking a player who is inferior in every respect except age
Well, let me put it this way. If Haddin is going to buckle down and save Aus from a collapse a couple of times like Paine has done, let him play by all means. We happy?:p

social

Well, let me put it this way. If Haddin is going to buckle down and save Aus from a collapse a couple of times like Paine has done, let him play by all means. We happy?:p
And if Paine shows the ability to score more runs and keep better than Haddin, I will be

Woodster

International Captain
Have to say I'm a fan of Brad Haddin, and from an England perspective, think it'll benefit us should Paine remain behind the stumps. That said, he's looked competent behind the stumps in India in very testing keeping conditions with the ball reaching him on the half volley on a number of occasions. Difficult to judge his standing up to the stumps on this tour due to Hauritz's inability to get if past what has seemed a very wide Indian bat.

Haddin's strokeplay can be most exhilarating and his positivity certainly makes him a more threatening opponent than Paine at this stage, who showed what he can do with the stick. He applied himself very well, remained patient till he got acquainted with the tracks, then extended his array of strokes. He looks a decent back-up keeper, but for me Haddin edges it on all fronts also.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Have to say I'm a fan of Brad Haddin, and from an England perspective, think it'll benefit us should Paine remain behind the stumps. That said, he's looked competent behind the stumps in India in very testing keeping conditions with the ball reaching him on the half volley on a number of occasions. Difficult to judge his standing up to the stumps on this tour due to Hauritz's inability to get if past what has seemed a very wide Indian bat.

Haddin's strokeplay can be most exhilarating and his positivity certainly makes him a more threatening opponent than Paine at this stage, who showed what he can do with the stick. He applied himself very well, remained patient till he got acquainted with the tracks, then extended his array of strokes. He looks a decent back-up keeper, but for me Haddin edges it on all fronts also.
Indeed. If AUS are in a position during the Ashes where the score is 300 for 5. Haddin is the man i'd want to see stepping out.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But many posters are making the point that Paine would be the better man if it was 150-5, and Australia have often found themselves in that position in recent times. I haven't watched Haddin's glovework closely enough to compare him with Paine, but Paine certainly lends more "solidity" from what I've seen of their batting.

Woodster

International Captain
Thought Johnson was poor today, he needed to lead the attack on the last day especially with the problems Hauritz was having in finding any penetration, but he was pretty woeful. There was only Hilfenhaus that gained any appreciable movement, and was without the doubt the most impressive throughout this series.

It would be harsh to be too critical on George, on debut, but he has a long way to go before he is picked consistently at this level. Of course the pitches were not conducive to his bowling, but with the supposed McGrath-esque accuracy sadly absent, he looked really ordinary to me. Is he much more effective in Aussie conditions or am I being overly critical ?

The options of Bollinger, Harris, Siddle, Hazlewood, Clark for a short-term measure, when they're all fit give the depth of bowling a better look, because I don't think George should be so close to the Test side at this stage, however I am only judging him on this Test, which can be construde as being a tad unfair.

Woodster

International Captain
Indeed. If AUS are in a position during the Ashes where the score is 300 for 5. Haddin is the man i'd want to see stepping out.
Personally would take one of Haddin's counter-attacking innings at 100-5 rather than rely on Paine to grind it out, on the basis I just hold Haddin in a higher regard, although I understand why people may favour Paine's style in a more backs-to-the-wall position.