• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They did, but they made Ricky Ponting captain instead.

The reason Chimpy W Ponting shouldn't be captain of that Dream XI is that he's maybe the 6th best captain in the team. (He might be the 7th but Greg Chappell is debarred due to underhand behaviour.)
TBF, I'm pretty sure that he is the most successful captain in history. He's not the best obviously, but in terms of win ratio he's right up there. Out of curiosity, who would you have as captain out of that team? Would probably go Benaud with Waugh as VC myself.

And have said it time and time again, but it's a bit unfair to criticise Chappell for underarm when you praise Jardine for Bodyline.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
A lifetime is a long time...but let's whack out some T's & C's

Burgey, loved your post. It'll be my signature come January 2011

Agree on the "I knew this would happen" brigade, gets your balls on the line or STFU IMO
How long do you want to bet it for?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Out of curiosity, who would you have as captain out of that team? Would probably go Benaud with Waugh as VC myself.

And have said it time and time again, but it's a bit unfair to criticise Chappell for underarm when you praise Jardine for Bodyline.
I'd be happy with your suggestion of Benaud plus Waugh, or Benaud plus Border. Or maybe Bradman.

As for Chappell v Jardine, one was sneaky, the other wasn't. The real double standards are of those that criticise Jardine for fast leg theory whilst lauding Lillee and Jeff "I like to see blood on the pitch" Thomson for their equally brutal modus operandi.

pasag

RTDAS
sif you'd make an ad for the current Ashes tour and not have the current captain captaining it :laugh:

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
sif you'd make an ad for the current Ashes tour and not have the current captain captaining it :laugh:
You're falling into the trap of applying some logic to an advert that has Ian Botham and KP opening the batting in a Test...

Anyway, yes it's fairly obvious that the ad men were going to pick Chimpy as skipper for this, but it's just quite amusing that they've picked a side with so many who would do a better job of it.

pasag

RTDAS
You're falling into the trap of applying some logic to an advert that has Ian Botham and KP opening the batting in a Test...

Anyway, yes it's fairly obvious that the ad men were going to pick Chimpy as skipper for this, but it's just quite amusing that they've picked a side with so many who would do a better job of it.
Strangest set of posts :laugh:

TumTum

Banned

I don't think the ad is suggesting that KP and Bothan are opening the batting, They are just random snippets.

Why is it amusing that they picked players that were great captains? Those are the best players we have ever had.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure it's worth prolonging this particular discussion any further tbh. But the point is, having Ponting skippering that team ahead of (say) Benaud is a bit like the inclusion of Mitch Johnson ahead of (say) Glenn McGrath - a necessary evil (ie a nod to the current team who'll be competing in the Ashes) but slightly cringeworthy all the same.

pasag

RTDAS
Not sure it's worth prolonging this particular discussion any further tbh. But the point is, having Ponting skippering that team ahead of (say) Benaud is a bit like the inclusion of Mitch Johnson ahead of (say) Glenn McGrath - a necessary evil (ie a nod to the current team who'll be competing in the Ashes) but slightly cringeworthy all the same.
Don't think so at all.

L Trumper

State Regular
lol at people who are defending showing ponting as captain ahead of benaud, bradman. To be fair that is not the point of the ad though.

pasag

RTDAS
lol at people who are defending showing ponting as captain ahead of benaud, bradman. To be fair that is not the point of the ad though.
The people are defending showing Ponting as captain because of the point of the ad. Your two statements are interconnected. I would be baffled if they did a promo for the 2011 Ashes series and didn't have the current captain captaining it. It would be the weirdest ad of all-time.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The people are defending showing Ponting as captain because of the point of the ad. Your two statements are interconnected. I would be baffled if they did a promo for the 2011 Ashes series and didn't have the current captain captaining it. It would be the weirdest ad of all-time.
Yeah, bit of an advertising no-brainer I'd have thought?

L Trumper

State Regular
Actually that is my point too.. Kinda structured my sentence in a weird way.

So much hurt.