Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How would you rate this series?

Quote Originally Posted by oitoitoi View Post
    Thought his spell in Durban was better, that late inswinger at 96 mph, the first unplayable bowling performance since Wasim retired.
    Dont think he actually ever reached 96 mph. But yea his Durban performance>>>>Perth performance in terms of lethalness.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    Two evenly matched mediocre sides battling it out. The test rankings will reflect the "quality" of these teams.

The least bad team won.
    I agree with this. This series was not a patch on the 2005 series. Had 2005 England played 2009 Australia, I can probably say 5-0 would have been result, and vice versa, definitely 5-0.

Certainly not the best series this year, but who cares.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
    I agree with this. This series was not a patch on the 2005 series. Had 2005 England played 2009 Australia, I can probably say 5-0 would have been result, and vice versa, definitely 5-0.

Certainly not the best series this year, but who cares.
    No way 5-0. No way. Reckon If that England side had played this Aussie side it would have been 3-1 England, if that Aussie side had played this English side, probably 4-0, unusual to get results in all tests in England.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    11/10
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oitoitoi View Post
    No way 5-0. No way. Reckon If that England side had played this Aussie side it would have been 3-1 England, if that Aussie side had played this English side, probably 4-0, unusual to get results in all tests in England.
    Oh rain indeed is a factor I did not figure in. But I do think England would have rolled over Aus and would not have suffered a single defeat. Remember, that team had Flintoff at his prime godly best, Harmy and heck Simon Jones! And to top it, a young and devil may care Pietersen. Yes, the more I think about it, the more am convinced.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
    Oh rain indeed is a factor I did not figure in. But I do think England would have rolled over Aus and would not have suffered a single defeat. Remember, that team had Flintoff at his prime godly best, Harmy and heck Simon Jones! And to top it, a young and devil may care Pietersen. Yes, the more I think about it, the more am convinced.
    It's a tough one to call, remember that conditions were very different that series too, it was a lot more bowler friendly, much more sunshine this time round.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Poor series which was dogged throughout by many of the poor aspects of the game.
    Weather/ umpiring which constantly present potential for the inferior side, or better appealers to fluke it.

Pinball Champion!
    Poor series from the standard of the cricket and umpiring, but a very compelling one when it comes to ebbing and flowwing, shift of the initiative, and the usual Ashes theatre.. Top stuff and a good advert for test cricket
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

From a neutral perspective, a pretty even series played by 2 quite mediocre sides as indicated by their Test rankings of 4 & 5 respectively

The fact that only one side could really win by day 3 of each Test took something away from it all.

I think Cardiff was a beauty of a test, eventhough from an Aussie perspective the result didn't go our way, but it did set the series up quite beautifully, but from there the series really didn't live upto its billing, as all the remaining tests were pretty one-sided, of course each test had its moments, but all in all the series was pretty average AFAIC.

As Jono said, it was the history and rivalry of the series that kept everyone interested, otherwise in terms cricketing quality there wasn't much to write home about, also agree that the low standard of umpiring also took the gloss off, of the such a high profile series.

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    One problem with the series was that the headline players like Flintoff, KP and Ponting didn't really do much.If for example Flintoff had taken 5 wickets in that first innings instead of Broad and for good measure hit a hundred in the second innings this series would be remembered as a completely memorable finale for Freddie. But it was really the lesser players who managed to steal the show particularly at the Oval.

4th v 5th.

But basically now it's won I don't much care about the quality of the cricket. Winning's the thing.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Fairly disappointing despite our loss. Seemed to be a battle between one broken side and one mediocre side that was further ruined by terrible umpiring.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    The fact that only one side could really win by day 3 of each Test took something away from it all.
    Exactly.

Day 4 and 5 SA vs. Aust in Perth, and day 3 and 4 SA vs. Aust in Melbourne was some terrific cricket.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information