Page 11 of 198 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Strauss, Cook, Key, Ramprakash, Trott, Collingwood, Prior, Flintoff, Harmison, Onions, Sidebottom

I reckon Ramps will get the call.

Why should age make a difference? If he's good enough give him a shot!

Not as though he's got worse is it?

Prefer him to Bell!

Don't rate Anderson either, he was and always will be at best a change 3rd or 4th seamer unfortunately.

I'd counsel everyone against thinking that the 5th Test will be merely be a continuum of the 4th. I don't think either side necessarily has the calibre of player to get on top of the other for a really sustained period such as two Tests in a row. Not saying that Australia won't win, just that there's not a chasm of any sort between the respective abilities of the teams. If England get Flintoff back and drop Bopara, I think there in with at least a 40% chance.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    I'd counsel everyone against thinking that the 5th Test will be merely be a continuum of the 4th. I don't think either side necessarily has the calibre of player to get on top of the other for a really sustained period such as two Tests in a row. Not saying that Australia won't win, just that there's not a chasm of any sort between the respective abilities of the teams. If England get Flintoff back and drop Bopara, I think there in with at least a 40% chance.
    Interesting and I would tend, hesitantly, to agree.

The 10-day gap between the games should allow the dust to settle, which will assist England. And the pussies came back well at Lord's and then Birmingham after getting a whipping at Cardiff. And finally the return of Flintoff for a last hurrah cannot help but lift them.

So there is a chance. Yes it's less than evens, but it's a chance.

If recent form and confidence are major factors, England has little chance of success in the final test. They have certainly improved since the last Ashes series loss of 5-0. However, if you look at the series to date, it realistically should have been Australia 2-1 at this stage (the First Test was a moral victory to the Aussies). At the end of the day, it will end up 2-1 in Australia's favour, but it should have been 3-1, and as I stated, that is a real improvement on the previous 5-0 drubbing.

The concern for England and the selectors should not just be the final test, but ensuring that their nation remains as competitive in the next 12- 24 months. Otherwise, it will be back to another 5-0 loss in Australia. Only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by frey View Post
    If recent form and confidence are major factors, England has little chance of success in the final test. They have certainly improved since the last Ashes series loss of 5-0. However, if you look at the series to date, it realistically should have been Australia 2-1 at this stage (the First Test was a moral victory to the Aussies). At the end of the day, it will end up 2-1 in Australia's favour, but it should have been 3-1, and as I stated, that is a real improvement on the previous 5-0 drubbing.
    Yep, once that last egg has hatched there'll be 2 chickens for Australia

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I think plenty would have more faith in Joyce or Trott to do the business, though. Not only are they yet to fail, they're not English, and a trend I've picked up on in cricket is that non-English players are generally much better than English ones.
    Genuine lol at that.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar

The concern for England and the selectors should not just be the final test, but ensuring that their nation remains as competitive in the next 12- 24 months. Otherwise, it will be back to another 5-0 loss in Australia. Only time will tell.
    What a bunch of patronising crap
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Freddie's fit mother****ers, have a bit of that, the Ashes are coming home

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar

Couldn't disagree more with this tbh.

These teams are far more closely matched than you're giving credit for. England have bowled us out cheaply twice and our blokes have needed help from the wicket to get the job done (as you expect from an inexperienced attack).

England's problem is and has all series been the batting. Strauss and Prior aside none of thwm are in consistently decent nick. At Lord's they got a good opening stand and put on 400 plus, but aside from thayt the top order hasn't done much. When it did they won. At Edgbaston their bowlers covered for them, as did their lower order, which incidently has been very good.

At Headingly the bowling and conditions were too good for their lower order, and they bowled poorly, which only magnified the issues of the top order.

At least, that's how I see it anyway.

Fair post that Burgey, hard to disagree. I mean, the batsmen topped 400 at Cardiff but the Aussie bats showed that for the mediocre total it really was.

True that, Burgey.

In other news, I expect quite a lot of fluff and 'my side for the Oval etc' on this thread before the test actually starts next week.

Too long between drinks, imo, but I think England need it. Reckon they will be up for it. Just hope its a decent deck.

Haha, it seems like ages between Tests, really it's just a standard break for Tests in England except for the fact that it ended so early!

Page 11 of 198 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread Information