• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Would be interesting to see how hard the Aussies went for Trescothick - presumably us picking him means he's fair game for sleging?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The real bonus is the mint-shining he can do so well IMO. Said it a few days ago, we should pick him for Burgey's reaction alone.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
No, me neither, tbf. What we can say tho is that the status quo isn't working.
Not sure on Ramps, but most of them will have already played with Tres before I reckon. Let's work it out

Strauss - yes
Cook - yes
Bell - yes
Collingwood - yes
Prior - in ODIs I think he might have done, Tests no
Flintoff - yes
Broad - Tres was playing when he made his international debut, T20 V Pakistan in 06, doubt they have played much together though
Anderson - yes
Swann & Onions - no

So I don't think he'd be too unsettling. Whereas I think only Flintoff will have played in a Test team with Ramprakash.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure on Ramps, but most of them will have already played with Tres before I reckon. Let's work it out

Strauss - yes
Cook - yes
Bell - yes
Collingwood - yes
Prior - in ODIs I think he might have done, Tests no
Flintoff - yes
Broad - Tres was playing when he made his international debut, T20 V Pakistan in 06, doubt they have played much together though
Anderson - yes
Swann & Onions - no

So I don't think he'd be too unsettling. Whereas I think only Flintoff will have played in a Test team with Ramprakash.
But what if Trescothick needs nurturing a little - is there someone there who can look after him?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Also, I realise a happy dressing room is important to the success of a team, alas if any of the players in there would be happy about someone like Trescothick coming in then they need their head banging against a wall. What they should be thinking is something like this:

"Well, Trescothick could come in and he has a good record internationally, I mean in his last three full years of Test cricket he passed a thousand runs, and he's been caning everyone domestically for years. If he comes in it really helps the chances of me being part of something that only 12 Englishmen have done in the last 20 years, get him in here FFS!"

Alternatively they could be thinking:

"Hmm, not sure about this Trescothick bloke, let's stick with Ravi, it means when we're one wicket down we're two wickets down, but hey, keeps the dressing room settled, **** that urn anyway."

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, probably.

I don't know... I'm just worried he might have another panic attack. That would be so awful.
It would, but I think any sledging he got from the Aussies would purely be based on cricket-stuff, as far as I know they have been told to curb the personal stuff over recent years. The impression I've got through this series is that it's been heated in the middle (been wanting to put my first through the TV whenever Johnson has been on screen, for example) but it's just been cricketing aggression.

But obviously it wasn't sledging that made him ill in the first place, so I dunno. Surely his family and doctors etc would not dream of letting him play if he was likely to regress. I mean I know he's a grown man and makes his own decisions, but well, you know what I mean...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty naive if you reckon Aus won't target any wounds if Trecothick plays. What the Aussies might have curbed a bit was swearing and, obviously, any racially-based sledges or anything else really offensive. But if Tresco plays, he's fair game especially with an Ashes series on the line.

Burgey

Also, I realise a happy dressing room is important to the success of a team, alas if any of the players in there would be happy about someone like Trescothick coming in then they need their head banging against a wall. What they should be thinking is something like this:

"Well, Trescothick could come in and he has a good record internationally, I mean in his last three full years of Test cricket he passed a thousand runs, and he's been caning everyone domestically for years. If he comes in it really helps the chances of me being part of something that only 12 Englishmen have done in the last 20 years, get him in here FFS!"

Alternatively they could be thinking:

"Hmm, not sure about this Trescothick bloke, let's stick with Ravi, it means when we're one wicket down we're two wickets down, but hey, keeps the dressing room settled, **** that urn anyway."
Not really like Cook's set it alight though is it, aside from one knock? Presumably he'd bat three if Trescothick came in. Then you've got three lefties in your top three. Would there be an aversion to that?

Burgey

Without sounding horrible here, it's a massive risk to take a guy with Trescothick's issues out of the place where he's feeling comfortable (county cricket which most people don't see) into the glaring spotlight of a deciding Ashes Test as a potential saviour. And whether or not you'd want him to be made out that way, that's exactly what would happen.

What's more, how will he cope with the longish (by modern standards) build up to it all?

Anyway, if he's picked I'd hope he does well because I empathise with him. But it's still a huge risk imo.

pup11

International Coach
Without sounding horrible here, it's a massive risk to take a guy with Trescothick's issues out of the place where he's feeling comfortable (county cricket which most people don't see) into the glaring spotlight of a deciding Ashes Test as a potential saviour. And whether or not you'd want him to be made out that way, that's exactly what would happen.

What's more, how will he cope with the longish (by modern standards) build up to it all?

Anyway, if he's picked I'd hope he does well because I empathise with him. But it's still a huge risk imo.
Geoff Miller has already said that Tresco isn't even being considered for the 5th test, so I don't know why we're even having this debate regarding him, obviously he has problems. and neither him or the ECB would have wanted, to all over again see him going through the same issues he had during the tours of India and Australia.

Though its the possibility of Ramps playing in the 5th test, is what I find extremely risky a proposition from an English perspective.

Last edited:

Stapel

International Regular
Whereas as Tresco is not considered, the momentum for Ramps seems to grow!

The way things look now is that Bell & Bopara will be axed (rightfully so) and that Ramprakash will fill one spot, leaving the other open for either Key or Trott?

Nobody seems to argue about Harmison these days. Fair enough then. But should Sidebottom be considered? Over Onions perhaps?

An what about the Aussie line up? Bring back Hauritz? But for whom? And is there a chance Lee will be fit?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The way things look now is that Bell & Bopara will be axed (rightfully so) and that Ramprakash will fill one spot, leaving the other open for either Key or Trott?
Surely the next in line is Trott though - how has Ramprakash leapfrogged him (if indeed he has)?