• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flintoff is Hercules.. a God

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Hey, Ive pissed further than the distance between NSW and Queensland...its called sharing a border

Only difference is, our border would have barbed wire, trenches and minefields if I had my way. (and possibly we could make Burnley no mans land)

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, he's given up FC cricket. Would be an interesting Queensland T20 team with Symonds and Flintoff though.
Hmm - didn't make Lanky that interesting - but IIRC it did bring home how much better a T20 batsman Symonds is than Fred though

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know this might be a bit jarring for some. But I dont really care.

12 overs on the trot, a man who's retiring from test cricket because his body is refusing to take the punches anymore. But somehow, surprising everyone, perhaps including himself, this guy has claimed a fifer on a flatbed when other bowlers are struggling to even contain the Aussie batsmen.

Moreover who writes his script? His last appearance at the Lords and he's done a fifer. A matchwinning (potentially) at that!

Let's celebrate this hero, whose deeds transcend the silly world of statsgurus.
Not a bad comparison. Flintoff's miracles, like those of God, only seem to happen very sporadically.

Certainly bowled well this innings though, got to hand that to him. Our blokes need to play him like they did in Cardiff really. Not get caught up in the machismo of it all and just play him on his merits.

Sounds simple, dunnit?

Last edited:

Redbacks

International Captain
Wow, partied hard. Wonderful victory tp chreish indeed. :wub: Fred. He is god. Really I mean. Ya Aussies stand no chance against this maaan. Go get your voodoo dolls ye crims.
The first man to take 5 wickets defending a total of 522 :unsure:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Our blokes need to play him like they did in Cardiff really. Not get caught up in the machismo of it all and just play him on his merits.
Think they did TBH - he just got them out (with help from one possibly-bad catch and one missed no-ball).

The getting-caught-up-in-the-machismo didn't cause the wickets - good balls that no batsman could realistically play, and the fact that Simon Katich isn't Bradman and will drive a ball he shouldn't drive sometimes, did that.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Still think he has to be the most overrated player in the history of the sport, agreed he only took 3 wickets, and 2 of those were tailenders. The level of hero worship that surrounds flintoff is truly baffling to me.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Still think he has to be the most overrated player in the history of the sport, agreed he only took 3 wickets, and 2 of those were tailenders. The level of hero worship that surrounds flintoff is truly baffling to me.
I think it's about when he's performed as much as how well he's done, tbh.

Yesterday's win was only our fourth in a live Ashes series (with the urn still at stake) since 86/7 and our first at Lords in any Ashes series since 1934. Rightly or wrongly Fred stepped up when we needed him. & the fact he's bowling on one knee and one ankle in his final test series ever helps too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Still think he has to be the most overrated player in the history of the sport
No one player can ever be such a thing. Hundreds and hundreds of different players with fair cases.

Anyway the opening post of this thread is clearly to some extent spur-of-the-moment, spontaneous exaggeration.

Pigeon

Banned
I think it's about when he's performed as much as how well he's done, tbh.

Yesterday's win was only our fourth in a live Ashes series (with the urn still at stake) since 86/7 and our first at Lords in any Ashes series since 1934. Rightly or wrongly Fred stepped up when we needed him. & the fact he's bowling on one knee and one ankle in his final test series ever helps too.
That my friend is the answer.

However not that I share the feeling that "Ashes is the only test series that matter".