• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official Third Test at Edgbaston

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I can't remember whether Joyce has done well this season - if he hasn't, then clearly he shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

However it's a dead-set disgrace that Joyce never got a chance in Tests and it's also fairly ridiculous how Bell seemingly cannot fall out of the picture despite others whose claims are equally as strong as his (in Shah and Joyce) getting essentially no chance whatsoever.
Joyce's stats are pretty average this season - averaging a tick under 40, but the promising thing is that he's played really high-quality knocks against good bowling. The reports of his good knocks on cricinfo etc have been amazing. He scored 90 odd against Lancashire and rated it as the best innings he's ever played. It's possible that he could be the anti-Bell.

He's been quite dominant in OD cricket this season too although I realise you'll pay virtually no attention to that at all.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yes but if you're constantly going to get run out then that is surely just as bad as any technical flaw? If not worse as it may cost your partner their wicket...

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can't remember whether Joyce has done well this season - if he hasn't, then clearly he shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

However it's a dead-set disgrace that Joyce never got a chance in Tests and it's also fairly ridiculous how Bell seemingly cannot fall out of the picture despite others whose claims are equally as strong as his (in Shah and Joyce) getting essentially no chance whatsoever.
Distinctly average really....
Included season stats of those others who have been mentioned in this thread.

Joyce - 445 runs @ 37.08 with a HS of 100 (1 ton and 2 50s)
Trott - 671 runs @ 95.85 with a HS of 166 (3 tons and 1 50)
Bell - 647 runs @ 71.88 with a HS of 172 (2 tons and 4 50s)
Hildreth - 728 runs @ 60.66 with a HS of 303* (2 tons and 3 50s)

Shah - 345 runs @ 57.50 with a HS of 159 (1 ton and 2 50s)
Key - 499 runs @ 62.37 with a HS of 270* (2 tons and 0 50s)
Ramprakash - 721 runs @ 72.10 with a HS of 138 (3 tons and 2 50s)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm no great Bell fan, pretty to watch, mentally weak, you know the words, join in on the chorus, but at times he has at least looked like a test batsman. Shah looked out of his depth versus an extremely modest Windies team that Bopara took 3 tons off & who in turn is looking like something of an FTB (Flat Team Bully) after 4 innings of the current series.

If Trott is again overlooked (& WAC he must be if he's considered too difficult to manage in a team that contains Pietersen & Bopara, who both clearly rate themselves highly), I've no issues with Bell getting another go.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Pretty much agree with the above. Was in favour of Bell's dropping but he has performed okay at times. If he starts like he did against the Saffies last summer, then meh, he can disappear into the background after that for all I care...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member

Only Bell & Key can pass a test quality ATS. Shows how crap the standard in the domestic competition is, geez

Jarquis

I'm no great Bell fan, pretty to watch, mentally weak, you know the words, join in on the chorus, but at times he has at least looked like a test batsman. Shah looked out of his depth versus an extremely modest Windies team that Bopara took 3 tons off & who in turn is looking like something of an FTB (Flat Team Bully) after 4 innings of the current series.

If Trott is again overlooked (& WAC he must be if he's considered too difficult to manage in a team that contains Pietersen & Bopara, who both clearly rate themselves highly), I've no issues with Bell getting another go.
Trott wouldn't be in a team with Pietersen ATM on the basis that we're discussing who should come in for Pietersen :p

On a different note; what does WAC stand for? :)

Jarquis

Only Bell & Key can pass a test quality ATS. Shows how crap the standard in the domestic competition is, geez
If you take out Key's 270* it shows how dreadfully he's been performing this year.
Really shouldn't be selected IMHO

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But running is part of batting.
It's also a fault that makes no suggestion of recurrance. If Shah was such a poor runner that he regularly got run-out in 2\5th of his innings' he'd not have a First-Class average in the mid-40s.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

If Trott can't get into the ODI team I think we can safely rule-out the prospect of him getting into the Test one. Clearly, he, like Hoggard, has upset someone and no conceivable circumstance is going to get him into the side again.

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
I think it would be pretty safe to say that with both Bell and Broad in the team it really is more of 13 vs 9 match up in favour of Australia.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Look on the bright side - they haven't sent for Sajid Mahmood yet, or suggested at adding to the caps of Darren Pattinson or Amjad Khan.

Woodster

International Captain
Because he only played 3 in West Indies - there were only four, not five. It's absolutely silly to count what was officially the Second and Third as anything but one game - without the abandonment of one (in which he played no part whatsoever, not taking the field at all), the other would not have been played.

And his debut and sophomore games came not as a first-choice but as an injury replacement. Ergo, he wasn't actually being given selectorial faith.
Yes you're right that the abandonment should not officially count as an appearance. However, to disregard his two other performances because he was not first choice is both lame and incorrect to do so, it doesn't matter how he was selected, he was picked to play for England and should be judged on his performances there, you cannot simply write them off!