• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting accuses England of gamesmanship

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I've already expressed my thoughts in the Cardiff match thread on Ricky Ponting's role as the Lord High Priest of the Spirit of Cricket.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Andrew Strauss is a joke. They actually showed him telling that bearded guy to run out and bide time in the middle. His claiming that he sent him out to tell Monty Panesar and James Anderson how much time was left... why would he need to do that? It's pretty obvious that they just had to survive and then they call out the 12th man and the physio in the next over because Anderson got drink spilt on his glove? How convienant. Fair enough England did well to save the match, but they pretty much tarnished the occasion by deliberately trying to waste time.

shivfan

Banned
I thought Ponting was absolutely right to raise the issue....

It was gamesmanship - end of story.

I remember the loud hue and cry that arose when Dillon and Ramnarine did a similar thing in a Test match against South Africa. The criticism was so loud that the WICB felt they had to publicly censure Dillon and Ramnarine for their role in 'time-wasting' tactics.

There's very little difference between that incident and this one....

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Of course it was gamesmanship, but it wasted about like 60 seconds so it was hardly a big deal. As if they were going to get out to Marcus North in the next over anyway?!

And it's always strange to hear Ponting going on about 'the spirit of cricket'. Just heard him on the radio saying that 'England can play however they want, but we will play within the laws and the spirit of cricket'. Hilarious given his charging at the umpire appealling yesterday and Siddle's effing and blinding.

Not that I mind either the time-wasting or Ponting's hilarious appealling. Or Siddle either, he's actually quite good fun. Just Ponting's preaching at us that gets a bit annoying.

shivfan

Banned
When Dillon and Ramnarine did it against South Africa in 2001, they were hauled before the match referee. Thankfully, they were acquitted, but the English press had a field day, accusing the WI of time-wasting tactics....

West Indies waste time to save game - Cricket, Sport - The Independent

I see very little difference between what happened in the Caribbean in 2001 and what happened in Cardiff yesterday evening.

But there is a big difference in today's Indy headlines!
:laugh:

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Poll on ninemsn.com.au...

Were the English poor sports in the first Ashes Test?
Yes - 40660 votes
No - 13342 votes

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Of course it was gamesmanship, but it wasted about like 60 seconds so it was hardly a big deal. As if they were going to get out to Marcus North in the next over anyway?!

And it's always strange to hear Ponting going on about 'the spirit of cricket'. Just heard him on the radio saying that 'England can play however they want, but we will play within the laws and the spirit of cricket'. Hilarious given his charging at the umpire appealling yesterday and Siddle's effing and blinding.

Not that I mind either the time-wasting or Ponting's hilarious appealling. Or Siddle either, he's actually quite good fun. Just Ponting's preaching at us that gets a bit annoying.
Awta 100%.

Agree also with pasag that it's time to move on already.

inbox24

International Debutant
Poll on ninemsn.com.au...

Were the English poor sports in the first Ashes Test?
Yes - 40660 votes
No - 13342 votes
The thing is, if you had taken the results of the same poll from an English website, the results would be reversed.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
When Dillon and Ramnarine did it against South Africa in 2001, they were hauled before the match referee. Thankfully, they were acquitted, but the English press had a field day, accusing the WI of time-wasting tactics....

West Indies waste time to save game - Cricket, Sport - The Independent

I see very little difference between what happened in the Caribbean in 2001 and what happened in Cardiff yesterday evening.

But there is a big difference in today's Indy headlines!
:laugh:
If you can't see the difference then you clearly didn't see it at all. The two West Indians wasted at least 10 minutes. One feigned an injury and limped around and had the physio on for several minutes. The other had a complete change of footwear and thigh pads in the middle which also took a few minutes. What England did was pathetic but it was in no way comparable to that incident.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Whilst morally it's hard to defend, I'm have frankly been outraged if we hadn't tried something like it once it became apparent that time as well as overs bowled was a factor. Would've been unprofessional. No different to those association football substitutions made a couple of minutes from the end solely to waste time.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Whilst morally it's hard to defend, I'm have frankly been outraged if we hadn't tried something like it once it became apparent that time as well as overs bowled was a factor. Would've been unprofessional. No different to those association football substitutions made a couple of minutes from the end solely to waste time.
Agreed - and who doesn't honestly think Australia wouldn't have done exactly the same thing if the positions were reversed?

The fact is that we had eleven-and-a-half overs at no.10 and 11, one of whom is a noted all-time bunny, and we couldn't get the wicket.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Poms should be given every credit for their efforts in wasting a little bit of time towards the end of the game. It's the only thing they did well for nigh on five days :happy:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The Poms should be given every credit for their efforts in wasting a little bit of time towards the end of the game. It's the only thing they did well for nigh on five days :happy:
Don't agree that it was the only thing we did well. We also made the Australian attack look half decent.