• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The last Ashes without referrals – a running tally of umpiring errors

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well, Pasag's opening post says 'impact on the series'.

Obviously won't be able to tell until after the test match though.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Pietersen's LBW call was obviously out, but watching it at full speed, you can see absolutely why he wasn't given out. It was nearly impossible to tell whether he jammed it into his foot or not.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well that's 2 bad decisions in favour of England batsmen, the former which made no difference whatsoever, the latter which made virtually no difference whatsoever.

So certainly not a good start to the series for the Umpires but so far it's not mattered.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pietersen's LBW call was obviously out, but watching it at full speed, you can see absolutely why he wasn't given out. It was nearly impossible to tell whether he jammed it into his foot or not.
In which case, as has been said, it should have been given out c Haddin. He could even have asked for the third-Umpire's adjudication on that!

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmm. I distinctly remember being absolutely astonished not to see the finger go up. Agree to disagree.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
My immediate reaction upon seeing it for the first time was "bloody hell, that's dead" but I've seen these sorts of things divide opinion before now.

Either way, it quite clearly should have been given out, whether it was an unforgiveable error or a forgiveable one.

And I so wish it had been given, as then KP wouldn't have been out to Hauritz. 8-)

PhoenixFire

International Coach
My immediate thought was that he had jammed the ball into his foot, but if it hadn't hit his bat, it would have been dead.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
KP's looked out but not for a minute would I consider Strauss's as an umpiring error.

For mine an umpiring error is when the batsman hits the ball and is given lbw, not when the ball is clipping leg stump (see Johnson to Strauss).

Uppercut

It was cannoning full-ball into leg-stump tbf. And with balls that length it's generally pretty obvious where they're going.

Definite mistake for me, but not the horrendous howler the KP one was.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It was cannoning full-ball into leg-stump tbf. And with balls that length it's generally pretty obvious where they're going.

Definite mistake for me, but not the horrendous howler the KP one was.
Hang on a sec, are we saying umpiring errors because hawkeye would have given it out or umpiring errors that a trained umpire shouldn't have made in real time?

If it's the latter that was not a mistake, I don't know how many of you have umpired before.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Hang on a sec, are we saying umpiring errors because hawkeye would have given it out or umpiring errors that a trained umpire shouldn't have made in real time?

If it's the latter that was not a mistake, I don't know how many of you have umpired before.
Well i guess its meant to be things that could be corrected if the referral system was in place...in which case its both of them.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Missed the pIetersen one but I thought Billy esp. had a very good day. The Strauss one was wrong but not a howler and he made some very food not out calls after that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

It wasn't just HawkEye that thought the Strauss one was out - all the commentators said it looked out immediately, before they even saw the HawkEye of it.

Uppercut

Yeah, if you're trying to say that we shouldn't be too critical, I completely agree. It was a difficult decision. But it was a black-and-white one, and the correct decision was to give it out. Therefore, it was a mistake.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Some mistakes are excuseable. Some are inexcuseable.

To give Strauss n\o was an excuseable mistake, but still a mistake.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
KP's looked out but not for a minute would I consider Strauss's as an umpiring error.

For mine an umpiring error is when the batsman hits the ball and is given lbw, not when the ball is clipping leg stump (see Johnson to Strauss).
Strauss was hit on the full, plumb on leg stump.

The ball would have had to have been doing an awful lot to miss the stumps from there, which it wasn't.

As for the KP one, after replays I rewound Sky+ and re-watched it "live" 2 or 3 times, and IMO there was enough doubt as to what hit what in what order for the umpire's not out call to be justified. In addition, there's a clunking noise which sounded very much like bat on ball - if the umpires are wired to the stump-mic, which I believe is the case, it would have been very hard to give that out with 100% certainty.