Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: England 17-man squad

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King Pietersen View Post
    I considered Hoggard
    There's no point doing so though - it was made patently obvious with the selection of Pattinson last summer (and I thought it was pretty obvious before that TBH) that Hoggard's Test days were over after he was dropped in New Zealand.

He is not going to play another Test again come hell or high water. The rights and wrongs are mostly wrongs, but that's the way it is.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Will be pretty annoyed if Panesar is in the 17.

All the same though, there's almost certain to be another spinner in there, and the choice is pretty thin. I hope and pray Adil almost-good-enough-for-county-cricket Rashid won't be in there, and aside from him there's barely another spinner who anyone's even heard of. So if someone other than MSP gets into the 17 it'll be a quite major shock.

And I suppose it'll also be Gary Keedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Pothas should've been picked in 2007, but wasn't. He should've been picked a fair few times recently, but hasn't been.

For whatever reasons - be it "he's too old", "he's South African", "he's Greek" or whatever, they seem to have decided they're not keen on him and I'd honestly be more surprised to see him picked this summer than Geraint Jones.
    1. Big mouth.
    2. Big nose.

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Harmison cannot be recalled unless the ECB monitor his bowling speed with speed guns. The time to find out that his pace is down is not the first morning of the First Test, it's before the squad is chosen.

If he's bowling at 90+mph then I'd have no problem with him being in the squad. If he's taking cheap county wickets at 78mph then we may as well bring Ian Bell in to open the bowling. At least he can bat and field.
    That's news to me

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Harmison cannot be recalled unless the ECB monitor his bowling speed with speed guns. The time to find out that his pace is down is not the first morning of the First Test, it's before the squad is chosen.

If he's bowling at 90+mph then I'd have no problem with him being in the squad. If he's taking cheap county wickets at 78mph then we may as well bring Ian Bell in to open the bowling. At least he can bat and field.
    It is an extremely good point, when you have such a clear correlation (even admitted by Harmison) that he is average at 80mph and top drawer at 90mph, it would be silly not to use the speedo to moniter his progress.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Harmison's speed and penetration is key. As said previously, we don't want to select him for him to chuck down deliveries on average around 83-85 mph. There are better bowlers at this pace that do more with the ball, and are much more accurate. Harmy must be charging in, knees and arms pumping, hitting the deck hard and the splice of the bat similarly so. Five wickets today will certainly help towards his case in selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    It is an extremely good point, when you have such a clear correlation (even admitted by Harmison) that he is average at 80mph and top drawer at 90mph, it would be silly not to use the speedo to moniter his progress.
    It seems Harmison bowls at 90mph so rarely these days that people forget he's mostly useless even when he does so.

Banned
    Has a rationale been given for this squad being named at 17 players? I mean, are there obvious injury worries, or is there just a large measure of uncertainty concerning who will play? I'd have thought England's twelve (or at worst 13) would be fairly well settled by now.

In principal, I don't see the point naming a 17-man squad. But realistically, not many more will have a realistic chance of being picked for the 1st Ashes test.

There is only 1 place up for grabs for the 1st test (providing Flintoff is fit) and that is for the 4th seamer/2nd spinner role. Strauss, Cook, Bopara, Pietersen, Collingwood, Flintoff, Prior, Broad, Swann and Anderson will be in the XI barring injury.

The other 1 has basically shoot-outs between Rashid and Panesar for the 2nd spinner spot if they go down that route (and I hope it isn't Panesar after the start he's had) and Onions or Sidebottom for the 4th seamer if they go down that route.

That's a 14-man squad sorted already so including a 2nd keeper, which given his quality in the T20 WC with the gloves, may very well be Foster you only need to find 2 sub batsmen (who will more than likely be 2 who have played against Australia already, so Vaughan and Bell).

Harmison shouldn't be let within a mile of the England squad, even if he has a ticket for 1 of the tests. His 'can't be bovvered' attitude shouldn't be rewarded.

He wasn't even that great when on form IMO. He was comfortably the 4th best bowler in 2005 for me and that was 4 years ago and he continually fails to impress after 2nd chances.

Hoggard has upset someone high up in the ECB I think. There's no other reason for ending a bowler's test career after 1 bad test in NZ (for which his reasons are completely justifiable) after 7 @ 29.29 in Sri Lanka.

Mahmood will continually be too inconsistent to be international class til he retires. The same guy who can bowl bullet straight 94mph deliveries also serves up 83mph half-volley's. That's not good enough.

Doesn't really leave many options, so the squad (not mine, but what I think it'll be):

BAT:
    Strauss*
    Cook*
    Bopara*
    Pietersen*
    Collingwood*
    Vaughan
    Bell

AR:
    Flintoff*
    Broad* (in the eyes of the ECB, not me. Lol)

WK:
    Prior*
    Foster (or Ambrose, but I doubt it after being dropped for Prior)

SEAM:
    Anderson*
    Sidebottom
    Onions

SPIN:
    Swann*
    Rashid
    Panesar

Fin!
    Last edited by rivera213; 18-06-2009 at 06:06 PM.
    All-Time Test XI:
    Gavaskar, Boycott, Tendulkar, G.Pollock, V.Richards, Sobers, Gilchrist (wk), Warne (c), Waqar/Wasim, Lillee, Ambrose.

It seems Harmison bowls at 90mph so rarely these days that people forget he's mostly useless even when he does so.
    We disagree on this.

So go on, tell me - when recently has Harmison been effective (not looked decent-ish and ended-up with 4-133 - actually taken the hauls by bowling wicket-taking balls)? And how many times has he been ineffective bowling at 90mph?

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    So go on, tell me - when recently has Harmison been effective (not looked decent-ish and ended-up with 4-133 - actually taken the hauls by bowling wicket-taking balls)? And how many times has he been ineffective bowling at 90mph?
    In two hostile spells after tea, Harmison claimed 5 for 18 in nine overs, leaving Warwickshire's last pair requiring 20 more on the final morning if they are to avoid the follow-on.

It was the manner of Harmison's wickets that was most impressive. He tore through Warwickshire's much-vaunted middle-order in an outstanding demonstration of sustained aggression, making international batsmen appear timid and uncertain.

Nor was the damage just on the scorecard. Harmison also landed three crashing blows on the head, hand and arm of Tony Frost, Ian Bell and Chris Woakes respectively. It was, one lot of five wides apart, a top-quality spell of fast bowling that will not so much nudge the England selectors as grab them by the shoulders and shake them.
    Yesterday, according to cricinfo.

I'm fairly keen not to get sucked to deeply into a debate about this Richard because I genuinely don't think there's the slightest chance it will change your mind on the subject.

An illustration of our different perspectives on this point is how well Harmison bowled against the convicts at Lord's in 2005. I've seen what you've written about that in the past, and I take a very different view. I know that you don't set much store by opposing players' views of bowlers, but I do: and you will have read how highly Justin Langer, for instance, rates (a) Harmison's bowling that day and (b) the combined effect of Harmison and Flintoff as essential components of the best pack of fast bowlers he'd ever faced. (Don't ask me to dig up the quote because I probably can't find it, but he did say this).

Likewise, you take a different view from mine about the merits of Harmison's main weapons, namely pace, bounce and awkwardness of angle. I think that these are in themselves potent weapons, and you don't.

So let's agree to disagree.

Having said all of which, we can agree to agree that if he's bowling at 80mph there is a troupe of other medium-pacers who should walk into the team ahead of him.

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Pietersen View Post
    I'd go for:

Andrew Strauss *
    Alastair Cook
    Ravi Bopara
    Kevin Pietersen
    Paul Collingwood
    Matthew Prior +
    Andrew Flintoff
    Stuart Broad
    Graeme Swann
    Ryan Sidebottom
    James Anderson

Graham Onions
    Tim Ambrose/Steven Davies
    Samit Patel
    Ian Bell
    Adil Rashid
    Stephen Harmison (has decent enough figures in FC games this year)
    If Sidebottom makes the starting XI ahead of Onions it will be one hell of a travesty. Why? Because Onions currently has 42 wickets at 15.14 this season vs Sidebottom's 7 @ 31.42, not to mention is man in possession having played the last test match and did nothing wrong to be dropped.
    Last edited by tooextracool; 19-06-2009 at 08:49 AM.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information