• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England 17-man squad

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Apparently the 17-man squad is actually a 16-man squad. Hopefully that means no backup keeper, because that seems a waste of time.

Penguinissimo

U19 12th Man
England Test squad for pre-Ashes camp:

Andrew Strauss (captain, Middlesex)
James Anderson (Lancashire)
Ian Bell (Warwickshire)
Ravi Bopara (Essex)
Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire)
Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)
Paul Collingwood (Durham)
Alastair Cook (Essex)
Andrew Flintoff (Lancashire)
Graham Onions (Durham)
Monty Panesar (Northamptonshire)
Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire)
Matt Prior (Sussex)
Adil Rashid (Yorkshire)
Ryan Sidebottom (Nottinghamshire)
Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire)

England team v Warwickshire at Edgbaston (July 1-3):

Andrew Strauss (captain)
James Anderson
Stuart Broad
Ravi Bopara
Paul Collingwood
Alastair Cook
Andrew Flintoff
Monty Panesar
Kevin Pietersen
Matt Prior
Graeme Swann

England Lions v Australia at Worcester (July 1-4):

Ian Bell (captain, Warwickshire)
Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire)
Joe Denly (Kent)
Steven Davies (Worcestershire)
Steve Harmison (Durham)
Saj Mahmood (Lancashire)
Stephen Moore (Worcestershire)
Eoin Morgan (Middlesex)
Graham Onions (Durham)
Adil Rashid (Yorkshire)
Vikram Solanki (Worcestershire)

Penguinissimo

U19 12th Man
First interesting point - clearly, with Flintoff fit again, the Test XI is nailed down apart from the second spinner slot.

At first glance (ie the warm-up game line-up), Monty looks like he's been picked for that spot. But in fact, the preferable gig for a spinner wanting to make his case for inclusion is to be playing against the Aussies themselves for the Lions, rather than in some friendly game against an average county.

You can guarantee that Rashid will get a lot of overs in that game, and if he even does averagely well with the ball (runs a bonus), I reckon he'll be in the first Test.

Penguinissimo

U19 12th Man
Why is Sidebottom not in either warm-up team?
Well, all he needs is overs, and he may as well get those at Notts as anywhere else. He's not going to make one of the 3 seamer spots, but the selectors hardly need to know more about him - hence would be a wasted space in both teams.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Donkey Panesar gets the nod ahead of Rashid I'm going to hunt the selectors down. He's been complete **** for the past 6-18 months.

The team v Warwickshire is basically saying what the team in the first Test will be in my opinion.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
First interesting point - clearly, with Flintoff fit again, the Test XI is nailed down apart from the second spinner slot.

At first glance (ie the warm-up game line-up), Monty looks like he's been picked for that spot. But in fact, the preferable gig for a spinner wanting to make his case for inclusion is to be playing against the Aussies themselves for the Lions, rather than in some friendly game against an average county.

You can guarantee that Rashid will get a lot of overs in that game, and if he even does averagely well with the ball (runs a bonus), I reckon he'll be in the first Test.

Not sure he'll get that many overs with 4 front line seamers in the side and New Road hasn't been great for spin this year, Chawla's the only one to have success there and even then his wickets weren't cheap.

Penguinissimo

U19 12th Man
Not sure he'll get that many overs with 4 front line seamers in the side and New Road hasn't been great for spin this year, Chawla's the only one to have success there and even then his wickets weren't cheap.
True, under normal circumstances - but what sort of orders do with think Captain Bell will be sent along with? Certainly we need to know more about Rashid vs Aussie batsmen than about Saj bloody Mahmood.

Scaly piscine

Have a look at the game Durham just played there. Blackwell took 3 wickets and they couldn't get him off the square.

social

Cant imagine that Onions will play the first test as it would make little sense for the selectors to give the Aussies a chance to play against him beforehand

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Surely we're not seriously thinking of playing Rashid in the first test? I would way rather Onions.

As for Panesar, I think they just want to look at him first-hand. That would be fair enough.

Penguinissimo

U19 12th Man
Have a look at the game Durham just played there. Blackwell took 3 wickets and they couldn't get him off the square.
I agree with your point - just being facetious, after all Monty hasn't had the best of times even on bunsen burners in the last 12 months (outbowled by Benn, etc)