• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Many Centuries Will Phil Hughes Score?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Steyn is a better bowler but not purely on swing.
Steyn's 93mph outswingers > Anderson's 88mph outswingers.

However, there's a fair bit to say about that. Anderson seems capable of swinging more cricket-balls than Steyn does; however, when the ball swings for them both, Steyn is capable of bowling the fast outswinger much more regularly, and pitching it in a dangerous spot more, than Anderson. If the ball is swinging properly for any bowler with any old seam-position I'll have Steyn over Anderson in a heartbeat.

Anderson, however, is a much better containing bowler currently than Steyn and also has the ability to bowl the inswinger, which Steyn doesn't. Anderson is also a far, far, far better bowler to left-handed batsmen than Steyn is - Steyn against LHBs can of times look very average. Anderson however has all the tricks - inswinger, outswinger, over-wicket, round-wicket, the 'ole kaboodle.

So under some circumstances I'll have Anderson over Steyn without too much thought - but both are bowlers reliant entirely on swing for their potency.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steyn's 93mph outswingers > Anderson's 88mph outswingers.

However, there's a fair bit to say about that. Anderson seems capable of swinging more cricket-balls than Steyn does; however, when the ball swings for them both, Steyn is capable of bowling the fast outswinger much more regularly, and pitching it in a dangerous spot more, than Anderson. If the ball is swinging properly for any bowler with any old seam-position I'll have Steyn over Anderson in a heartbeat.

Anderson, however, is a much better containing bowler currently than Steyn and also has the ability to bowl the inswinger, which Steyn doesn't. Anderson is also a far, far, far better bowler to left-handed batsmen than Steyn is - Steyn against LHBs can of times look very average. Anderson however has all the tricks - inswinger, outswinger, over-wicket, round-wicket, the 'ole kaboodle.

So under some circumstances I'll have Anderson over Steyn without too much thought - but both are bowlers reliant entirely on swing for their potency.
It's Steyn every time for me. Fuller lengths, more dangerous lines, greater speeds- the results are there for all to see. James Anderson has never had a single year in which he averaged less with the ball than Steyn does over his whole career (not even especially close, in fact).

Take your point about the lefties though. Definitely not half the bowler he is to right-handers.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yes, he did very well but again, it was only 3 tests.

Once bowlers and coaches work out his weakness and bowl to them, we'll see how good/bad a batsman he is.
If he plays even 80% of those 3 Tests in the first 3 of the Ashes he'll have a stellar series.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ha ha.

Yep.

It'll be good for his development since he seems like a ****y bastard.

He hasn't face swing bowlers the quality of Jimmy Anderson yet.
:huh:

Not from what I've seen of him. But maybe he's appeared more on your TV's since he started his county stint. I think some people confuse ****y with confident though. If he wasn't confident he wouldn't be there.

andyc

Ha ha.

Yep.

It'll be good for his development since he seems like a ****y bastard.

How is he ****y? He was saying yesterday that he was hoping to be in the Ashes squad, ffs.

Edit: As above.

Son Of Coco

Yes, he did very well but again, it was only 3 tests.

Once bowlers and coaches work out his weakness and bowl to them, we'll see how good/bad a batsman he is.

Not after 6 innings.

After 25-30 averaging 69 with 10 centuries then maybe, but not 1 series.

South Africa isn't the terror it was during the Donald era.
Given South Africa talked up his perceived weaknesses and then got punished it'll be interesting to see what England comes up with.

6 innings in test cricket is too early to make predictions about how good he'll be, but he's started very well and that's all he can do. There have been quite a few good domestic players come up and get sorted out immediately in test cricket, in comparison Hughes had adapted remarkably well.

To be fair, England isn't a patch on the SA attack now, let alone in the Donald era.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Ha ha.

Plus, I forgot to mention, Hughes hasn't faced a spinner the quality of Swann either and isn't great against spin from what I've seen.
He may not have faced the "quality" of these (english:laugh:)bowlers, but he has performed in almost every match he has ever played; and most of these matches were played against Australian bowlers. Is my memory a little hazy or has it not been proven again and again and again and again over at least 20 years (and for most of the last 100 years) that Australian bowlers are of a higher "quality"?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He may not have faced the "quality" of these (english:laugh:)bowlers, but he has performed in almost every match he has ever played; and most of these matches were played against Australian bowlers. Is my memory a little hazy or has it not been proven again and again and again and again over at least 20 years (and for most of the last 100 years) that Australian bowlers are of a higher "quality"?
By and large, not the ones Hughes played against. But more importantly, it's generally much easier to bat in Australia, even allowing for their better bowlers.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's Steyn every time for me. Fuller lengths, more dangerous lines, greater speeds- the results are there for all to see. James Anderson has never had a single year in which he averaged less with the ball than Steyn does over his whole career (not even especially close, in fact).

Take your point about the lefties though. Definitely not half the bowler he is to right-handers.
That's because Anderson was 100% hopeless until last summer and hasn't exactly been the most fortunate bowler you'll see since then. Steyn of 2005/06 onwards is clearly better so far by miles but there are circumstances under which I think the Anderson of summer-2008-onwards could possibly now outdo him. Those circumstances, however, are going to be relatively rare ones, thus meaning overall Steyn is likely to continue to be overall more effective.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
100% hopeless? Bit harsh. He was inconsistent but still bowled brilliantly on occasion (Mumbai 06 for example).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Is my memory a little hazy or has it not been proven again and again and again and again over at least 20 years (and for most of the last 100 years) that Australian bowlers are of a higher "quality"?
No, it hasn't. There have been more Australian bowlers of higher quality but there is nothing inherant about that - it's just the way the cookie has crumbled. Being brought-up in Australia doesn't make you a better bowler than being brought-up in England.

Australian bowlers aren't simply of higher quality than English ones purely because they're Australian.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
By "100% hopeless" I don't mean "hopeless in every single over of every single spell of every single game" TBH. That'd be near-impossible.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just dreadful far, far more often than good\decent TBH.

And I probably should've said "who takes the art of bowling seriously".

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well I still think that's a bit harsh. It's not like he always went at 7 and over and wicketless. He's always been capable of taking wickets, it's just that used to spray it round a lot more

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In most of his Tests he was completely harmless and only produced a wicket-taking delivery like once per game.