• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B: Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia

James

Cricket Web Owner
Discussion around Group B: Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia

13 June 2014
Spain v Netherlands
Arena Fonte Nova, Salvador

13 June 2014
Chile v Australia
Arena Pantanal, Cuiabá

18 June 2014
Spain v Chile
Estádio do Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro

18 June 2014
Australia v Netherlands
Estádio Beira-Rio, Porto Alegre

23 June 2014
Australia v Spain
Arena da Baixada, Curitiba

23 June 2014
Netherlands v Chile
Arena de São Paulo, São Paulo

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Will be disappointing to see one of the Netherlands or Spain out early.

A-League > La Liga, el bitches. Bring it on.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Very comfortable group for Australia. The good thing about the matches is that we will be able to tinker will our XI a bit in preparation for the later stages of the tournament. Minnows Spain and Chile should be cannon fodder, but it is a World Cup and anything can happen. Netherlands, have a strong Australian influence, will be our trickiest opponent, but I would be surprised if we don't win all 3 games.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Very comfortable group for Australia. The good thing about the matches is that we will be able to tinker will our XI a bit in preparation for the later stages of the tournament. Minnows Spain and Chile should be cannon fodder, but it is a World Cup and anything can happen. Netherlands, have a strong Australian influence, will be our trickiest opponent, but I would be surprised if we don't win all 3 games.
Never mind, thought this was the Cricket T20 World Cup groups.

salman85

International Debutant
Spain to go out in the 1st round.

They've reigned supreme off late and they are bound to **** up.This is where it starts.Netherlands and Chile to qualify.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Yeah I think Spain are a real chance to go out. They're the best side in the group but they're not miles superior to Holland so it's very possible that Holland finish above Spain. Chile are a very underrated side and could easily upset Spain also.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, Chile are quite underrated (not amongst people who actually watch football mind you, just by the cretins who work as television pundits). I'm not sure who they have a greater chance of upsetting, but it wouldn't come as a surprise to me if one of Spain or Holland don't make it through.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, with Chile being the dark horse, it wouldn't surprise me if they qualify with us, meaning each of the previous finalists will bow out.

I know it's unfortunate for Spain and The Netherlands, but that's football.

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
Never mind, thought this was the Cricket T20 World Cup groups.
Can you educate me on who made the T20 World Cup groups please? I can see Netherlands there but never heard of Spain and Chile with regards to cricket. :huh:
Anyways umm...anyone think Australia can get through to the second round? :dry:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Can you educate me on who made the T20 World Cup groups please? I can see Netherlands there but never heard of Spain and Chile with regards to cricket. :huh:
Anyways umm...anyone think Australia can get through to the second round? :dry:
:laugh:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah I think Spain are a real chance to go out. They're the best side in the group but they're not miles superior to Holland so it's very possible that Holland finish above Spain. Chile are a very underrated side and could easily upset Spain also.
Yeah they are.

In Spain for the Chile game, so should be fun.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
On the fact that it is Spain and they have won the last 3 major tournaments I would guess.....

One can certainly have a few doubts about if Spain are likely winners or not but I would be amazed if they did not get out the group.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
On the fact that it is Spain and they have won the last 3 major tournaments I would guess.....

One can certainly have a few doubts about if Spain are likely winners or not but I would be amazed if they did not get out the group.
That makes them better, it doesn't make them 'miles' better. This before the fact that Spain have clearly regressed in the past couple of years.

I would be surprised if Spain didn't get out of the group as well; I said as much. They are the best side in the group. That's quite a lot different to saying they are certainties to get out though, because they are clearly not certainties.

Hooksey

Banned
The composition of Australia's World Cup team will be interesting. Ange Postecoglou has signalled his intentions not to take old, dead-wood. Everyone is now on a level playing field and if you don't put your hand up repeatedly for a place you will only have yourself to blame. There are no guarantees the old guard - headed by Lucas Neil - will be on the plane.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The composition of Australia's World Cup team will be interesting. Ange Postecoglou has signalled his intentions not to take old, dead-wood. Everyone is now on a level playing field and if you don't put your hand up repeatedly for a place you will only have yourself to blame. There are no guarantees the old guard - headed by Lucas Neil - will be on the plane.
This is like almost every sporting cliche on the planet grouped into one short paragraph. Love it.

ripper868

International Coach
Safe to say we'll top our group - our performance against a red hot South Africa was scintillating and we couldn't have asked for tougher opposition leading into what is really, a weak group. South Korea managed to concede 16 goals at the group stage, i can really see Spain conceding 17 here, 8 of which attributed to Tim Cahill. I'm pumped and I'm getting my money on Australia early before they drop too far into unbackable favoritism

We're boned..

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It might be that they have lots of good young players that I am just not aware of but it looks like the worst Dutch squad I can remember.