• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B: Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It might be that they have lots of good young players that I am just not aware of but it looks like the worst Dutch squad I can remember.
If Football Manager and sections of the press are to be believed a lot of their young players are pretty decent. Veltman, de Vrij, Martins Indi, Clasie, Blind, Vilhena, and Lens have all been given good write ups/ratings.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We will wait and see I suppose, hope they are because we will get an excellent group in that case.

Would still be very surprised if Spain fail to top the group, defence is just so much better than the other two. Think they are very decently priced for the whole tournament, can see no justification at all why Germany are shorter odds.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Apparently we were the first country to arrive in Brazil for the tourney. In keeping with union rules, first in, last out. Looks like we're heading for the final then.

Can only see us making it out of the group by jagging a win vs Chile, a draw against one of the others and hoping it's enough. Truly a horror group.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kennedy and Rojic left out of the final squad. Says a lot about how well we are going that two players of such quality can be omitted.

watson

Banned
Kennedy and Rojic left out of the final squad. Says a lot about how well we are going that two players of such quality can be omitted.
Can't leave Kennedy out of the squad as he was one who scored the goal to get us into the World Cup finals in the first place.

Who else is there now that can score a goal when Cahill gets injured or sub'd? No one.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
no goal scorer is favourite to score the most goals for Australia this World Cup.

watson

Banned
Apparently his back was ****ed.
Pretty much a metaphor for Australia's chances right there.

But perhaps the strategy is is to sneak into the next round by virtue of 3 points from 3 x Nil-all draws and a goal difference of 0.

Could work if Spain thrashes Holland and Chile by a huge margin, and Holland thrash Chile by not such a huge margin.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Pretty much a metaphor for Australia's chances right there.

But perhaps the strategy is is to sneak into the next round by virtue of 3 points from 3 x Nil-all draws and a goal difference of 0.

Could work if Spain thrashes Holland and Chile by a huge margin, and Holland thrash Chile by not such a huge margin.
Spain 7
Netherlands 4
Australia 3
Chile 1

Nice try.

watson

Banned
What about if Holland & Chile draw Nil-all?

Surely we're not expected to win something in order to advance to knockout phase?

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Chile could draw with the Dutch and all the other scenarios you mention happen, for us to progress. Spain wouldn't even need to thrash the other teams for it to finish 7-3-2-2.

If either Australia or Chile win their opening match, they are going to put pressure on the last world cup finalists. It's why I think Uruguay are a big chance of progressing in there group, as I'm confident they'll beat Costa Rica which will put pressure on the loser of England and Italy (or both if they draw). I still can't believe Netherlands didn't get a seeding.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Squad seems light on full-backs, but good aside. Happy that Taggart made it. :)

watson

Banned
Carn CHile. Please thump Australia.
I've lived in the Middle East for some years, and seen a large portion of it from Najran to Istanbul. The reason that much of it is a complete dump is that people put their ethnic, religious, and politcal ideologies before their fellow countrymen, and the country that they live in.