• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Super 8 Group 1 Discussion - Eng, WI, SL and NZ

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Without wanting to offend anyone, do the English posters here see the Lyrics of God Save the Queen fitting as their national anthem? It speaks nothing of their progress and achievements in areas besides war and pretty much promotes it and fawns over royalty. Says nothing of the British people themselves and their contribution to the success of the country and doesn't mention any ideas like equality or freedom like so many other anthems do. Took a look at the lyrics for the first time after hearing it today and found it.. different from most other anthems I've heard and not very representative of the nation as a whole.

I'm probably posting this in the wrong thread.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Without wanting to offend anyone, do the English posters here see the Lyrics of God Save the Queen fitting as their national anthem? It speaks nothing of their progress and achievements in areas besides war and pretty much promotes it and fawns over royalty. Says nothing of the British people themselves and their contribution to the success of the country and doesn't mention any ideas like equality or freedom like so many other anthems do. Took a look at the lyrics for the first time after hearing it today and found it.. different from most other anthems I've heard and not very representative of the nation as a whole.

Yeah, I think you might be :happy:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

It's a horrible dirge, but we seem to be stuck with it.

Bring back CK8-)

grecian

So England just need to win then?
Yep, makes it simple, Lankans are through unless we beat them in about the 13th over, which, lets face it, isn't going to happen.

Could we please stop fielding like *****, thanks.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
meh if england wanted to win this they needed to take at least 2 wickets in the first 6. Gona be a struggle from here.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain

It is pretty rubbish, but yeah wrong thread.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
meh if england wanted to win this they needed to take at least 2 wickets in the first 6. Gona be a struggle from here.
You'd have thought. Surely our quicks + the new ball are our biggest threat against SL,

EDIT
And sure enough Swann gets milked for plenty as soon as he comes on.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Ravi on, umm is this a good idea?
I'd have thought Broad was worth a 2nd over after his first one was more than reasonable.

But that was good from Bopara. Which he's done quite often lately tbf.

Last edited:

grecian

I'd have thought Broad was worth a 2nd over after his first one was more than reasonable.
Hey the Ravster did okay, guess they want to keep Broad for the end.

Okay how's Buttler with the gloves, experiment failed I'm afraid, but we won't get another match in this tournament. Davies or Prior for t20 from now on.

grecian

Oh dear Patel is turning it, guess we're in for death by spin again. I'm guessing the Lankan spinners won't be bowling rank long hops.

Last edited:

stumpski

International Captain

'Land of Hope and Glory' and 'Jerusalem' are much better tunes, but both have jingoistic/imperialistic associations which would cause offence to many if they were ever to be adopted. In the event, we'll probably end up with something written by Gary Barlow and sung by Susan Boyle.

Mahela gone! to a nice catch.