• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team is going to win the 20-20 world cup ?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good old Scaly and his hatred for New Zealand, it is VERY far from Durham to be fair.

Anyway this is wide open as always but I fancy Australia to crack it this year.

Scaly piscine

Well in the past England have generally picked players at the top of the order in particular who are just blatant liabilities (Denly, Bopara, Key etc.) This time they look pretty strong batting-wise albeit their opening partnership is completely unproven. They have done okay in recent T20Is. They'd have made the semis last time but for being D/L-****ed.

Sri Lanka are leagues ahead of NZ.

Their team would have these names in it, potentially:

Dilshan
Jayawardene
Sangakkara
Jayasuriya
Mathews
Kulasekara
Malinga
Murali
Mendis

I doubt the fill-ins will be worse than what NZ have, whilst there are far more quality names and better quality names.

GGG

State Captain
Every other top 8 side clearly has greater talent. That's somewhat inevitable anyway given the infrastructures, player pool etc.

If you throw in some IPL-style professionalism then that helps these sides overtake you because they then realise more of the talent.

Obviously that professionalism has yet to seep through to some of the selectors. Some pretty horrific selections for India, Australia and England alone.
Except England, the only talent they have is a couple of ringers.

Scaly piscine

On a pitch where despite Clarke batting through most of an innings they still tied 214.

And as discussed already Australia's T20 bowling is a joke, that game no different.

You need more than the occasional bit of meaningless flat track bullying to be a good international batsman.

His T20 World Cup record is 11 innings at an average of 24.60 and a strike rate of 119. He does the same sort of thing in ODIs.

GGG

State Captain
On a pitch where despite Clarke batting through most of an innings they still tied 214.

And as discussed already Australia's T20 bowling is a joke, that game no different.

You need more than the occasional bit of meaningless flat track bullying to be a good international batsman.

His T20 World Cup record is 11 innings at an average of 24.60 and a strike rate of 119. He does the same sort of thing in ODIs.
Is it because we have a 1/4 of the population as London but are a far far superior side in 2 out of 3 disciplines that irks you?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
India and Sri Lanka obvious favourites but England should do well. Got the spinners which are crucial and an explosive top order. Will be a big disappointment if they can't reach the S/F.

Scaly piscine

Is it because we have a 1/4 of the population as London but are a far far superior side in 2 out of 3 disciplines that irks you?
Hahaha. You're as crap at best in any of the 3 disciplines you care to name. I couldn't really give a toss who's better at being an also-ran anyway, it's about winning stuff. See rugby union for further details.

But if you like I can rub it in when New Zealand get thoroughly outclassed yet again by a Pakistan, Sri Lanka or whoever you care to name really.

PS love this quote from Vettori:

http://www.cricinfo.com/world-twenty20-2010/content/current/story/457429.html

"You throw in Kyle Mills, who's come back and has been a very successful bowler for us, Tim Southee has done a good job, Ian Butler has come back from injury as well and at times has done a good job for us, so between the five of them from the seam bowling department I think they'll be very adequate"

That sums it up nicely (nice bit of damning by faint praise with Butler too). You don't win trophies with that.

Last edited:

GGG

State Captain
Hahaha. You're as crap at best in any of the 3 disciplines you care to name. I couldn't really give a toss who's better at being an also-ran anyway, it's about winning stuff. See rugby union for further details.

But if you like I can rub it in when New Zealand get thoroughly outclassed yet again by a Pakistan, Sri Lanka or whoever you care to name really.
Or whoever (minus england), when was the last time you beat us in a cricket world cup game? 70's? LMAO . Sure SA, Aussie, Sri Lanka, India and Pakistan beat us more than we beat them but for a country with what 60 million vs 4 million and we beat you 7 times out of 10 in OD's, yes England the joke of world sport for over 100 years.

Scaly piscine

Is that it? Whinges about population?

Heh. I'll remember that when the Football World Cup comes along and Brazil win, maybe. I'm sure China and India will be gutted to have missed out, but others will be delighted with beating each other to the semi final places.

GGG

State Captain
Is that it? Whinges about population?

Heh. I'll remember that when the Football World Cup comes along and Brazil win, maybe. I'm sure China and India will be gutted to have missed out, but others will be delighted with beating each other to the semi final places.
Whinging? Yeah I am winging because we have been a better team at ODI's than England for a long time, and it pains you.

Scaly piscine

Heh nope, England have been just wildly erratic. On a good day England could beat anyone when it meant something. New Zealand on the other hand have been a consistently mediocre outfit, which will get you consistently to the quarter/semi finals and consistently not win anything worthwhile.

Unlike certain other sides, like for instance Australia, there's no real rivalry with New Zealand. They're too insignificant. You seem keen to try and build one up because you know Australia will crush you whenever they feel like it.

DingDong

State Captain
boy when was the last time nz played their full team. so excited for this series.we should atleast get to the finals.

ryder :wub:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Well in the past England have generally picked players at the top of the order in particular who are just blatant liabilities (Denly, Bopara, Key etc.) This time they look pretty strong batting-wise albeit their opening partnership is completely unproven. They have done okay in recent T20Is. They'd have made the semis last time but for being D/L-****ed.

Sri Lanka are leagues ahead of NZ.

Their team would have these names in it, potentially:

Dilshan
Jayawardene
Sangakkara
Jayasuriya
Mathews
Kulasekara
Malinga
Murali
Mendis

I doubt the fill-ins will be worse than what NZ have, whilst there are far more quality names and better quality names.
Dinesh Chandimal is not a fill in by any means. Best batsman of local 50-50 format and very good in T20s. Chanaka Welagedara is the best pacemen SL has at the moment except Malinga. Real fill ins are Kulasekara, Jayasuriya amd Kapugedara,and these are in because of politics. Maharoof, Vaas / Thushara, Kulatunga (best batsman of local T20 tournament) should have replaced them.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India to play Sri Lanka in the final. Anything can happen but I'd imagine India has too many in-form guns.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol.. is it juz me or India being HUGELY over rated here? Come on guys.. On those slow and low tracks, we suck!!!

SL, Aus, Windies, Eng and NZ all have a chance for mine..

If I have to pick one, think SL can pull this one off.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Dinesh Chandimal is not a fill in by any means. Best batsman of local 50-50 format and very good in T20s. Chanaka Welagedara is the best pacemen SL has at the moment except Malinga. Real fill ins are Kulasekara, Jayasuriya amd Kapugedara,and these are in because of politics. Maharoof, Vaas / Thushara, Kulatunga (best batsman of local T20 tournament) should have replaced them.
Yeah agree with most of this, actually didn't know Roofers and Vaas weren't in the set up. Real shocker of a choice that. Kula is good but not in T20, Jayasuriya is struggling these days and Kapu isn't suited to this format.

How does Piranha (vitana) go in this format, have only seen him in Tests?

andyc

Heh nope, England have been just wildly erratic. On a good day England could beat anyone when it meant something. New Zealand on the other hand have been a consistently mediocre outfit, which will get you consistently to the quarter/semi finals and consistently not win anything worthwhile.

Unlike certain other sides, like for instance Australia, there's no real rivalry with New Zealand. They're too insignificant. You seem keen to try and build one up because you know Australia will crush you whenever they feel like it.
Would take NZ over England in ODIs pretty much every time personally. And the argument that 'on a good day England could beat anyone' is a bit misleading, because any team will win if they have a good day (see Bangladesh at Cardiff 2005), it's just that England's good days in ODIs, especially in large tournaments, seem few and far between.

But this is T20s not ODIs, and England do certainly have a decent line-up, so who knows. I think it's really a bit too hard to pick a favourite at this stage, maybe it's just because I'm not that clued up on T20, but they're just far too unpredictable for mine. NZ do definitely have some good names in their line-ups though, with Bond, Vettori, Taylor, Ryder and McCullum. Whether it'll be enough remains to be seen. Would back them over Aus though, that's for sure.

Howsie

International Captain
Difference is Murali did really well when he played.

McCullum in reality is poor as an international batsman, if you look past the hype.
And I stopped reading. He has one of the best Int20/20 records going around, and he just scored 100 against a very good attack only a month or so ago.