Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Commentary

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Esp. if he happens to be talking about Shane Watson's shoulders and Andrew Symonds' arms...
    Summing up, anything remotedly masculine.

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evermind View Post
    Arg Kumble is BORING. Awful commentator.
    was wondering what happened to you..nice to see you back
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

yep.. commentating has been really poor...

i dont know why guys like Tony Graig, Robin Jackman, Ravi shastri, Ramiz Raja and Waqar younis aren't commentating they are soo good..

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    I pretty much disagree with the above. I've enjoyed the commentary a lot more in this tournament than in the IPL. The commentary there was just cringeworthy. The commentary here has been sensible, focused and generally talking about the cricket and not just waffling on about sponsors, bollywood and money.

I'd rather listen to Nasser Hussain, David Lloyd, Ian Bishop, Ian Chappell and Harsha Bhogle anyday as compared with the people mentioned above. Anil Kumble has been a very pleasant addition to the commentary box as well.

I've found his commentary fascinating to listen to so far and with the amount of experience he has and his cool, calm and common sense approach to cricket, I'm looking forward to hearing him commentate throughout this tournament.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Is it just me, or is Mark Nicholas working as the Ground Announcer at some of the matches?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    I pretty much disagree with the above. I've enjoyed the commentary a lot more in this tournament than in the IPL. The commentary there was just cringeworthy. The commentary here has been sensible, focused and generally talking about the cricket and not just waffling on about sponsors, bollywood and money.

I'd rather listen to Nasser Hussain, David Lloyd, Ian Bishop, Ian Chappell and Harsha Bhogle anyday as compared with the people mentioned above. Anil Kumble has been a very pleasant addition to the commentary box as well.

I've found his commentary fascinating to listen to so far and with the amount of experience he has and his cool, calm and common sense approach to cricket, I'm looking forward to hearing him commentate throughout this tournament.
    Being better than the abomination that was served up in the IPL is not the measure of good commentary.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by KiWiNiNjA View Post
    Is it just me, or is Mark Nicholas working as the Ground Announcer at some of the matches?
    Heh, I've thought that too. More to his level tbh.

School Boy/Girl Captain TheEpic's Avatar
    Bhogle is far too prone to hyperbole. The Indian Mark Nicholas, if you will.
    Ponting is made out of hay. Lolz!

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    I don't have anything against people that don't speak English well as a language that isn't their natural tongue, as I am pretty useless at speaking foreign languages, but why do SS continually pick people that don't speak English particularly well to commentate. Not only that, but they rarely have something inciteful or interesting to add. Sky Sports just assume that if someone has played international cricket, then they must be a good commentator. I could name about 15 people who are contributors to CW that I would rather listen to that have never played international cricket than some people who don't speak English as their first language and have played test cricket for 10 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    I don't have anything against people that don't speak English well as a language that isn't their natural tongue, as I am pretty useless at speaking foreign languages, but why do SS continually pick people that don't speak English particularly well to commentate. Not only that, but they rarely have something inciteful or interesting to add. Sky Sports just assume that if someone has played international cricket, then they must be a good commentator. I could name about 15 people who are contributors to CW that I would rather listen to that have never played international cricket than some people who don't speak English as their first language and have played test cricket for 10 years.
    I'm with you here and would have posted something similar if I could articulate the point as well as you. I sympathise with a lot of the Asian commentators who clearly struggle with their English - they can add very little and making mistakes with syntax/vocab doesn't look too good. They end up just stating the obvious.

Don't think Sky are to blame here though - it's ESPN and they seem to have gone with almost a 'one country, one commentator' strategy.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    I'm sure that people like Anil Kumble could add some very interesting points if they could speak good enough English to articulate them. Sanjay Manjreakar is an exception TBF, he has excellent English and can pretty much speak it perfectly.

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    I'm sure that people like Anil Kumble could add some very interesting points if they could speak good enough English to articulate them. Sanjay Manjreakar is an exception TBF, he has excellent English and can pretty much speak it perfectly.
    Overall I agree that commentators should be proficient enough in English. That just enhances the quality of your presentation. I disagree though on the Anil Kumble comment, his English is pretty good and he speaks it rather fluently. Wasim Akram's English on the other hand is quite poor and he can definitely improve.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Overall I agree that commentators should be proficient enough in English. That just enhances the quality of your presentation. I disagree though on the Anil Kumble comment, his English is pretty good and he speaks it rather fluently. Wasim Akram's English on the other hand is quite poor and he can definitely improve.
    Funny, i've never had a problem with not being able to understand someone's commentary. I probably would have before I came to Manchester because none of my friends back in Ireland were Indian or Pakistani, but i wouldn't think it would be a problem for Indian people.

Wasim's generally crap commentary is a bit of an issue though.

I understand Wasim just fine, but him and Waqar really struggle to be coherent in English at times. Though they have improved a bit they shouldn't be near an English commentary box for a long time.

Really don't see the issue with Kumble though. He is fluent in the language and articulates himself just fine. Better than a lot of people I know who seem to get on just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEpic View Post
    Bhogle is far too prone to hyperbole. The Indian Mark Nicholas, if you will.
    AWTA, at times - distracts from his commentary skills a bit. Loving Bish at the moment - maybe it's the accent but his voice is very smooth on the ear and he articulates his point very well.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information