Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ireland Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Yeah, I'm not saying I don't understand the reasoning. The flip-side to your point is, of course, that Bangladesh have failed to put out a competitive team even with cricket being a dominant sport in the country and that with more proper international exposure, Ireland's already decent production line could be greatly enhanced - but that's actually not the point I was trying to make and would probably be best saved for another thread.

My point was that there are a few people on this forum who insist Bangladesh are far and away a better team than Ireland (so much so that one member actually claimed that Bangladesh were more compable to the West Indies than Ireland), and I simply don't believe it to be the case. I think it's pretty close at the moment, even though Bangladesh have been given every advantage available by the ICC (whether they should have or not) and Ireland keep losing their best batsmen to England. If Bangladesh hadn't been given full member status and Ireland were able to actually put out a full-strength team then I personally have little doubt that Ireland would have overtaken Bangladesh as the #1 associate by now.

Of course, one Twenty20 game doesn't go anywhere close to proving my point, but it certainly doesn't hurt it.
    Some of us could even go as far as to argue that Bangladesh were not even the no. 1 associate at the time they were granted test status, being as at that point they had lost 6? stright ODI's to kenya and would not taste victory against Kenya until 2006(partly due to the test status and partially due to Kenya going through a pstch of 3 years with only about 4 ODIs and 6? FC mkatches in total).
    LEARN SOMETHING NEW ABOUT AFRICA TODAY

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Anyway Trump is starting World War III to stop Liverpool winning the league.

Hats off to Ireland, they should definitely be playing more T20 and 50 over Cricket now.

Reckon a Tri Series between Australia, England and Ireland would be very competitive.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Yeah, I'm not saying I don't understand the reasoning. The flip-side to your point is, of course, that Bangladesh have failed to put out a competitive team even with cricket being a dominant sport in the country and that with more proper international exposure, Ireland's already decent production line could be greatly enhanced - but that's actually not the point I was trying to make and would probably be best saved for another thread.

My point was that there are a few people on this forum who insist Bangladesh are far and away a better team than Ireland (so much so that one member actually claimed that Bangladesh were more compable to the West Indies than Ireland), and I simply don't believe it to be the case. I think it's pretty close at the moment, even though Bangladesh have been given every advantage available by the ICC (whether they should have or not) and Ireland keep losing their best batsmen to England. If Bangladesh hadn't been given full member status and Ireland were able to actually put out a full-strength team then I personally have little doubt that Ireland would have overtaken Bangladesh as the #1 associate by now.

Of course, one Twenty20 game doesn't go anywhere close to proving my point, but it certainly doesn't hurt it.
    Spot on. The point isn't that Ireland should have test status though, it's arguing the "why shouldn't we?" point to demonstrate how unjust it is that Bangladesh have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Spot on. The point isn't that Ireland should have test status though, it's arguing the "why shouldn't we?" point to demonstrate how unjust it is that Bangladesh have it.
    Yeah, exactly. Both Ireland and Bangladesh are a lot more comparable to each other, Kenya, Holland, Scotland etc than West Indies and New Zealand and that's the key issue here.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

Code:
    Pixie Caramels won by an Innings and 258 runs.

I'm surpirsed at the repeated statements that write off the West Indians as a near-minnow team. They have won several ODI tournaments, including a Champions Trophy, and even some Test series, although mostly at home. Moreover, the teams that they have defeated are very strong or playing well. Besides, every West Indian player, irrespective of his style of play, has the ability to mount an all-out attack while batting, and sustain it for a long time.

Bangladesh, supposed to be compared to them, have practically never won a match, especially against good teams or teams in very good form. They're branded as giant-killers after occasionally sinking a few creaky, stumbling, ailing giants in decline, but when they have to compete against the teams to beat, they've failed all the time. They're not even a strong team at home, which could be said of the Zimboks in their best days. Even in the 2007 World Cup, they were defeated by Ireland, and then the eliminated England team, apart from several other big defeats at the hands of top teams. For a team to compare with the West Indians, they don't even have the explosive pace and firepower that their Caribbean counterparts possess.

In contrast, Ireland players have often been poached by England, as we have seen, and they've often lost a lot of their best players because of this. Yet, we find that while they're not excessively talented, they are quite a smart team and they have a strong work ethic, which we find in most minnow teams, particularly from Europe. That's very different from Bangladesh, who tend to get carried away when they're momentarily on top, and don't come back in the game once out. We can't tell much about Ireland, given how little they play, and how they often lose their players to England, but Bangladesh has been given ample chances since the Dalmiya era in the ICC, and in an age of technology, research and analysis, and they've done very little of note, and have stagnated for long.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Ireland probs aren't far off the Deshis, but I wouldn't demote Bangladesh just as they're finally stringing a decent side together tbh. They are becoming a real threat at home.

Wonder if we could amalgamate (sic) some associates together to strengthen them up until they're ready to stand on their own feet? It's not ideal, but it could get the good players experience quicker, and maybe help protect them from the poachers.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

In other news, Ed Joyce tonned for Sussed against Yorks in their county game at headingley,

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Ireland probs aren't far off the Deshis, but I wouldn't demote Bangladesh just as they're finally stringing a decent side together tbh. They are becoming a real threat at home.
    People have been saying that for as long as i can remember, and i think the attitude has caused a problem with their cricketing culture. Someone has to stand up and say that it's not good enough to "be a real threat at home" and "compete" when you've never won a game in 60 attempts. It shows in their lax fielding, poor running between the wickets, lack of spirit when things aren't going their way, and- what stood out for me yesterday- visibly poor preparation. Mortaza bounces Niall O'Brien and he pulls the ball for six over square leg, Ashraful thinks "oh right, this boy can pull" and sticks a man out. If he'd done the slightest bit of research into Ireland's best batsman he would know O'Brien loves that shot.

As the Bangla fans were saying, they never looked like they had a plan- although according to Simmons, they did, but chose to ignore it when out on the pitch. It's why i can barely ever get behind them, even when they play against test sides. You've got to love an underdog, but not when they show no fight and aren't there on merit.

Niall O'Brien for ENG wicket keeper
    Supporting players: Dinesh Chandimal, Roshen Silva, Kusal Janith, Nuwan Pradeep, Kasun Rajitha, Lahiru Kumara, Akila Dhananjaya, Dhananjaya de Silva

I think Niall O'Brien would save the english wicket keeping problem and he is much better the matt prior IMO
    Demon fast bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Demon43 View Post
    I think Niall O'Brien would save the english wicket keeping problem and he is much better the matt prior IMO
    Only averages high 20s with the bat in FC cricket and his glovework isn't in the same league as Fosters, so can't quite see it.

But we'll probably poach him out of spite anyway.

EDIT: I should say I mean in county championship cricket, actually. His ICC Intercontinetal record bumps his figure up a lot.
    Last edited by BoyBrumby; 12-06-2009 at 03:10 AM.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Only averages high 20s with the bat in FC cricket and his glovework isn't in the same league as Fosters, so can't quite see it.

But we'll probably poach him out of spite anyway.

EDIT: I should say I mean in county championship cricket, actually. His ICC Intercontinetal record bumps his figure up a lot.
    Well if anything he's at least shown that his game (unlike, say, Chris Read's) isn't likely to diminish under the spotlight, pressure and indeed increased quality of international cricket - that's always a big selling point. I don't think there's anything technical about his batting that would suggest he'd do worse in international cricket than he does in the County Championship, although the obvious issue is the fact that even if he replicated it exactly, it wouldn't be good enough for the current role of England's wicket-keeper.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 12-06-2009 at 03:31 AM.

Well if anything he's at least shown that his game (unlike, say, Chris Read's) isn't likely to diminish under the spotlight, pressure and indeed increased quality of international cricket - that's always a big selling point. I don't think there's anything technical about his batting that would suggest he'd do worse in international cricket than he does in the County Championship, although this obvious issue is the fact that even if he replicated it exactly, it wouldn't be good enough for the current role of England's wicket-keeper.
    Yeah, all probably fair enough. He's a well organised player, but batting not remotely close to Prior's so unless Matty really goes out of his way to be dire with the gloves (and he gave it a good go in the third and fourth tests in the caribbean, so I wouldn't rule it out) the test job is his for the foreseeable.

What I can see happening it, given our revolving door limited overs keeper selection policy, is Niall getting a brief go in our ODI team and then being disguarded a la Joyce & (shortly) Morgan.

I said we do it out of spite partly in jest, but not wholly, tbh. Really don't think it reflects well on us if we steal players and then don't use them in tests.

Talking about T20, he's better than Eoin Morgan as a batsman anyway. You took the wrong middle-order man. Don't know how necessary Foster's keeping is either considering runs are so much more important than wickets. Wouldn't swap O'Brien for any English keeper tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Talking about T20, he's better than Eoin Morgan as a batsman anyway. You took the wrong middle-order man. Don't know how necessary Foster's keeping is either considering runs are so much more important than wickets. Wouldn't swap O'Brien for any English keeper tbh.
    Do you want us to steal him or something? Don't think we won't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information