• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest European Footballer ?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Karl Heinz Rumenigge of Germany (not sure if its spelt correctly ):)

David Beckham (if England fulfil their promise and win this World Cup)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I certainly would not put him along side some of the others but it should be pointed out that King Kev won 2 back-to-back European Player of the Year awards.

No other English players has and Im not sure how many other Euros have.

EDIT: Cruyff- 73 & 74, Platini- 83 & 84 & 85 and Van Basten 88 & 89.

Keegan did it in 78 & 79

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I found it interesting that the other day I asked 2 Dutch guys (who are in their mid-late 30's and very good football players themselves), who is now generally considered the greatest, Cruyff or Gullit? They both laughed and said Van Basten.

That surprised me. Van Basten was no doubt fantastic but they insisted he was the best of the great generation and that put him to the top of the list.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Im guessing by this they we are not including Eusabio? He did play for portugal so should considerd

Zidane is the best of this generation there can be no doubt of that.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Not going to mention players I have never seen play so Hristo Stoitchkov, gets my vote. Can not think of a better or more majestic left foot in European football. Never did it for club but he carried Bulgaria and single handily took them to the semi finals of the World Cup, one in a million.

Other notable players of my generation

Roberto Baggio
Gheorghe Hagi
Zinedine Zidane

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Pothas said:
Im guessing by this they we are not including Eusabio? He did play for portugal so should considerd
I didn't mention him because he's from Mozambique.

Being from a colony of a European country != being European, in my eyes.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
A guy who was a great player when I was growing up who seems very much forgotten and seldom mentioned nowadays is JP Papin.

He was a wonderful player. Was European Player of the Year in 1991, led the French League in scoring 5 years in a row. Very good international record.

Also part of teams winning Champions League (European Cup), UEFA Cup, Serie A, French League, Olympics + many others.

Im not saying he was close to the best ever but Id like him to be talked about more and not forgotten.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
A guy who was a great player when I was growing up who seems very much forgotten and seldom mentioned nowadays is JP Papin.

He was a wonderful player. Was European Player of the Year in 1991, led the French League in scoring 5 years in a row. Very good international record.

Also part of teams winning Champions League (European Cup), UEFA Cup, Serie A, French League, Olympics + many others.

Im not saying he was close to the best ever but Id like him to be talked about more and not forgotten.
Was going to mention him but he was just a tad before my time, saw him coming to the end of his Milan career and with France's failure to qualify for Italy and USA his best was never seen on the worldwide stage.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Goughy said:
I certainly would not put him along side some of the others but it should be pointed out that King Kev won 2 back-to-back European Player of the Year awards.

No other English players has and Im not sure how many other Euros have.

EDIT: Cruyff- 73 & 74, Platini- 83 & 84 & 85 and Van Basten 88 & 89.

Keegan did it in 78 & 79
Wasn't he playing for Hamburg at that time? I know around that time they lost to the Florists IIRC in a European Cup final.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Barney Rubble said:
Don't forget his half-sister who played for the women's team, Tess Tickle......:ph34r:
I remember her.

Married Juan Kerr, but later divorced and shacked up with that Bulgarian, Suktimov.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
I remember her.

Married Juan Kerr, but later divorced and shacked up with that Bulgarian, Suktimov.
I'm assuming it was on becoming Tess Kerr that she decided to build her first supermarket.

That was shocking. They don't even sound the same. :laugh: