• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group G: France, Switzerland, South Korea, Togo

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't like South Korea much, but my interest in Australia's welfare outweighed that today, as I'm pretty keen to see South Korea win the group and get in our part of the draw, so I was happy to see the late goal. France played a pretty poor sort of game really, didn't push hard enough for a second goal, didn't bring Trezuguet on early enough, and so on. Barthez is a chump, too.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
poor second half performance from France, but hopefully they do beat togo & make the second round so Zizou can have a better end to his career, he deserves it..

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
if zidane wanted a nice end to his career he should have gone a long time ago, terminal decline is something he should have foreseen, france very poor, poor manager, poor tactics, selection of poor players. How long it will take for the french to realise Henry cannot be used properly as a genuine centre forward is simeply beyond me.....the selection of knackered has beens such as barthez and wiltord, and jokes like abbidal who has looked completely unimpressive at the expense of players like the excellent Ludovic Giuly is just ridiculous, obsurd and bizzare.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
sledger said:
if zidane wanted a nice end to his career he should have gone a long time ago, terminal decline is something he should have foreseen, france very poor, poor manager, poor tactics, selection of poor players. How long it will take for the french to realise Henry cannot be used properly as a genuine centre forward is simeply beyond me.....the selection of knackered has beens such as barthez and wiltord, and jokes like abbidal who has looked completely unimpressive at the expense of players like the excellent Ludovic Giuly is just ridiculous, obsurd and bizzare.
a bit harsh on Zidane don't you think after his superb winner in the CL league final in 2002 just b 4 the last world cup no one would have thought he would have declined so much.

But i agree with everything else you say especially on the fact that Henry is being played as the only foward, that works at Arsenal yea because they have been good but with the national side surely Treseguet should partner him. Plus Guily's not been their is probably the worst decision of the World Cup..

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
zidane was a great player, he is no longer, that is all to be said on the matter really. But yes, certainly right about giuly. As for Henry's partner up front, trezeguet has continually been a dissapointment, were cisse fit i doubt he wouldo do much better, sames goes for anelka another player playing just behind him like Zidane is supposed to, like Bergkamp does for arsenal would be ideal, but frances closest thing to that is probably Pires, and hes not available, its a tough problem for them, but the managers questionable selection of squad means that they have a distinct lack of other alternatives, which is why essentially they will not progress much further in the competition.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Rather a change of subject, but anyone know the deal with Ribery's scar? Very impressive, I have to say. His profile on Wiki doesn't mention it.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Rather a change of subject, but anyone know the deal with Ribery's scar? Very impressive, I have to say. His profile on Wiki doesn't mention it.
Car crash as a kid, disfigured his face.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
condolences to him for that, cant be nice living with that sort of contstand reminder, but he is another one who has looked distinctly unimpressive.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
sledger said:
zidane was a great player, he is no longer, that is all to be said on the matter really. But yes, certainly right about giuly. As for Henry's partner up front, trezeguet has continually been a dissapointment, were cisse fit i doubt he wouldo do much better, sames goes for anelka another player playing just behind him like Zidane is supposed to, like Bergkamp does for arsenal would be ideal, but frances closest thing to that is probably Pires, and hes not available, its a tough problem for them, but the managers questionable selection of squad means that they have a distinct lack of other alternatives, which is why essentially they will not progress much further in the competition.
fair enough, but i'd give them at least a second round appearance..

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
France seem to be making a massive struggle in getting through and i can see South Korea and Switzerland beating them in the group because of tonight's result...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
a bit harsh on Zidane don't you think after his superb winner in the CL league final in 2002 just b 4 the last world cup no one would have thought he would have declined so much.
4 years ago Trevor Sinclair was our best midfielder.

Craig

World Traveller
France - living off past glory.

If Paul Le Guen had just waited a few more months, he could have got the French job at the end of this World Cup instead of managing yer Gers (to quote BB).

Craig

World Traveller
FaaipDeOiad said:
I don't like South Korea much, but my interest in Australia's welfare outweighed that today, as I'm pretty keen to see South Korea win the group and get in our part of the draw, so I was happy to see the late goal. France played a pretty poor sort of game really, didn't push hard enough for a second goal, didn't bring Trezuguet on early enough, and so on. Barthez is a chump, too.
Like what I have been saying about Fobo the Clown.

I mean is there any need to go running up to half way to make a clearance when he doesn't need during his Man Utd days, or his moronic statments after being sent off in the 03-04 UEFA Cup Final?

I can understand why Coupet was ****ed off that was going to be second choice.

Craig

World Traveller
GeraintIsMyHero said:
I'll probably get a right hammering for what I'm about to say - but does anyone think that Scaly might be right? While I disagree that he has never performed against the best clubs, he hasn't seemed capable of producing the goods at international level in a long-time. At France 98, he looked very good as a young whippersnapper but since then his international performances have been more out of the Djibiril Cisse tetxtbook.

I might be wrong, but I think some of you might be more inclined to agree with Scaly's argument if it wasn't Scaly's argument
It will be a long cold day in hell before Marc would take that line of thinking.

Actually I believe I said something similar after the last European Championships...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
There's nothing wrong with parts of Scaly's argument... Henry has underachieved at international level when compared to his club performances. However, his record in major tournaments is pretty good, especially when you consider that his side have only scored one World Cup goal since 1998, and he scored it. His club performances are obviously top notch and have been for some time, and his record in internationals isn't really that bad, it's just average rather than sensational.

The thing that makes Scaly's argument absurd is how ridiculously over the top he goes with it. Giving him a derogatory nickname and carrying on every time he misses a chance as if he's the worst striker on earth is idiotic, and funnily enough it's the same thing he does with Sven. I wonder why that could be...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well done South Korea. I've been a fan since USA 94 and was made up in the last WC when they finally won a game. Looks like they may make it through the group stages for the first time away from home. :)

As for France, oh dear...i did say they'd do nothing in this tournament

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Well at least France’s qualification is still seemingly in their own hands. The sole objective against Togo will be goals, if the French can score a hatful which considering the strife Togo are in (and even with the discord in French camp). It is not too hard to foresee them progressing.