Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 875

Thread: The England Thread

  1. #16
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    22,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey
    Agreed that to appoint a new manager now would be bonkers, but I had previously had a feeling that he might stay (I hoped he wouldn't).

    However, due to his latest screw up, I now don't see it at all.
    He's been wanting to manage a club again for the last year...
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

  2. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    He'll go immediately after the World Cup - and for the last year, that's always going to have been the case.

    To try to appoint a new manager now would be absolutely bonkers.
    Not really, England need Rooney to play like a god to have any sort of chance under the vegetable. The chances frankly go up if you randomly replace him with any manager from in the English league. The vegetable has already shown he's not up to it, at least we don't know yet which other managers in the English league aren't up to it.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:


    MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

  3. #18
    International Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh
    He's been wanting to manage a club again for the last year...
    There's been reports of it for way, way over a year. Has he left yet? No.

    As I said, I doubt the FA'll poke up with him after thw World CUp though.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

    Manchester United FC: 20 Times

    R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

  4. #19
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,676
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    Not really, England need Rooney to play like a god to have any sort of chance under the vegetable. The chances frankly go up if you randomly replace him with any manager from in the English league. The vegetable has already shown he's not up to it, at least we don't know yet which other managers in the English league aren't up to it.
    Pure and utter rubbish.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.


  5. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Pure and utter rubbish.
    What happened in the last 2 tournaments? Brazil are better than they were 4 years ago and England won't get teams even as bad as Portugal to knock themselves out against. If England do anything it will be in spite of the vegetable.

  6. #21
    Hall of Fame Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Derby, England
    Posts
    17,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    What happened in the last 2 tournaments? Brazil are better than they were 4 years ago and England won't get teams even as bad as Portugal to knock themselves out against. If England do anything it will be in spite of the vegetable.
    I honestly thought that you were intelligent (still do, really) - but continually calling the manager 'The Vegetable' just because he's a Swede is just like calling ........

    (looks in mirror)

    Carry on.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

  7. #22
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,676
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    What happened in the last 2 tournaments? Brazil are better than they were 4 years ago and England won't get teams even as bad as Portugal to knock themselves out against. If England do anything it will be in spite of the vegetable.
    In 2002 we had a half fit squad (or is that Eriksson's fault as well)

    In 2004 there were various things like the referee and another injury that you for seem reason blame Eriksson for as well.

    It's funny how at one point you say that he has the strongest squad for a long time, but at the same time you say that they need Rooney to play like a god to have any chance.

    Need to make up your mind which it is.

  8. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    In 2002 we had a half fit squad (or is that Eriksson's fault as well)

    In 2004 there were various things like the referee and another injury that you for seem reason blame Eriksson for as well.

    It's funny how at one point you say that he has the strongest squad for a long time, but at the same time you say that they need Rooney to play like a god to have any chance.

    Need to make up your mind which it is.
    They need Rooney to play like a god because the vegetable is such a bad manager. With a good manager they wouldn't mess up a 1-0 lead against a team that has a poor defense and wasn't stringing 3 passes together. With a bad manager you need individual brilliance because the qualities coming from a good well knit unit won't exist (you'll be a clueless/disorganised team playing well below squad potential because you have a bad manager).

  9. #24
    International Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,324
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    In 2002 we had a half fit squad (or is that Eriksson's fault as well)

    In 2004 there were various things like the referee and another injury that you for seem reason blame Eriksson for as well.
    What you say way well be true about 2002, but if you really want a manager who, when things are clearly going badly wrong, sits there emotionless, and doesn't make even 1 tactical change, then you're in the minority.

    In 2004, the tactics were clearly all wrong, whether the ref was crap or not, and if we had have won 2-1 it would have been fortunate.

  10. #25
    Banned Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,793
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Pure and utter rubbish.
    So just because you disagree with the view it becomes utter rubbish?

  11. #26
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    He'll go immediately after the World Cup - and for the last year, that's always going to have been the case.

    To try to appoint a new manager now would be absolutely bonkers.
    well he has said win or lose after the WC he will go, but i wonder who will take over from him since i reckon most of the players seem to like him a fair lot as coach.

  12. #27
    International Captain Agent TBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    North Point
    Posts
    6,615
    I have a feeling that has changed.
    orz

  13. #28
    Hall of Fame Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Derby, England
    Posts
    17,752
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    well he has said win or lose after the WC he will go, but i wonder who will take over from him since i reckon most of the players seem to like him a fair lot as coach.
    Well, the likely candidates (at least according to one paper I've read) are Curbishley, MacLaren, Allardyce and Pearce.

    Steve MacLaren WAS flavour of the month last season, but his halo has slipped of late.
    Stuart Pearce, as he himself admits, is a laughable idea.
    Alan Curbishley or Sam Allardyce are both logical choices, but I'd look to Martin O'Neill as my No 1 choice.

    It won't happen either if Sven doesn't want to go, because with his contract not actually due to end until 2008, it could conceivably cost the FA about 6 million quid in compensation.

  14. #29
    Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    DRS Box
    Posts
    18,967
    Allardyce for mine

    wouldn't be too fussed if Beckham retired from international football after the WC
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

  15. #30
    International Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,324
    Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave
    Allardyce for mine
    I hope not, very shrewd club manager, and one of the best arounbd atm, but I don't like the idea of him being England manager.

    Out of the 4 English guys LE mentioned, I'd have Curbishley any day of the week.

    Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave
    wouldn't be too fussed if Beckham retired from international football after the WC
    I'd be celebrating.

Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •