• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flawed 6 distance calculator

jonbrooks

International Debutant
How on earth was Guptill's six that hit the roof only 110m? Was this calculation based on the distance the ball travelled i.e. 110m before the roof curtailed its progress? That might make sense but I still feel it travelled further given the boundaries are around 80m. Surely if the full arc the ball travelled is considered then it would have travelled much further than 110m

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Also, in reply to the initial question:

The six distance includes the predicted distance as if the ball travelled it's full arc from bat to ground. Westpac stadium is about 90m from either pitch end to the roof for the square to cow corner boundaries, so 110m seems about right. I think he hit a 125m one against SA at the same ground, which would obviously be impossible if the distance wasn't predicted to some degree.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The projected arc is calculated and distance is then measured from where it would have landed on the ground. But who knows how reliable the measurements are, it's never really been something taken incredibly seriously in cricket. We aren't baseball.