• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If India wins this WC...

If India wins the WC can they be ranked with the WI and Aus WC sides?

• Yes

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Maybe, but perhaps still need to prove themselves more

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • They've got to get past Bangladesh in the quarters 1st

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Tell him he's dreaming

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
If India wins this WC would they have to rank up there with the all-conquering West Indian and Australian WC winning sides?

It would be two undefeated WCs (with one in Australasia) plus an undefeated Champions Trophy in England.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes imo, winning both at home and in Aus/NZ would be an incredible achievement, especially when you take into consideration the bowling attacks that India have had in the process. Still a long way to go but if Dhoni and his men manage to win this, oh boy will it be something seriously special.

cnerd123

likes this
Not quite there with Australia in 1999/2003/2007 IMO.
I think that would make this even more special.

The WI and Aus ODI outfits were incredibly dominant and were outright favourites to win the WCs, and did so without so much as breaking a sweat. They dominated before, during, and after the WCs. Their sides were stacked with legitimate ATGs.

This India side and the one in 2011 aren't/weren't that good, and didn't have that invincible aura coming into the competition. But they somehow found a new level when it started.

Guys like Muaf Patel and Shami aren't bowlers you expect to be bowling their sides to WC victories. Yuvraj turned into a demi-god for the 2011 edition. Dhawan and Gambhir found unexpected form, and Dhoni is such an incredible player in these situations.

This team and the 2011 one aren't ATG outfits, yet somehow find a way to win big games and make it look easy.

If anything that should rank them higher than the WI and Aus sides. Not in terms of quality, but in terms of performances with respect to skills. They truly have been remarkable.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
If India wins this WC would they have to rank up there with the all-conquering West Indian and Australian WC winning sides?
No way. Can't even compare. This team just recently did not qualify for a tri-series final with England as the third side.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This Indian ODI side's chances of being regarded as the greatest ever are about as good as the chances of Jono buying me that steak he still owes me, even after catching up with he and Smudge for lunch today. WAC

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You'd have cracked the ****s if I bought you a 17 dollar salt and pepper squid pub meal and claimed we were even.

Burgey

We wouldn't have been even, but you'd have had some credit in the bank ffs.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
The way I look at it is from a captain's POV, if Dhoni's team gets up this WC than I'll put Dhoni >Ponting/LLoyd from captains who've won 2 consecutive WC's.

If you are looking at it from overall history's perspective than it's definitely Aus > WI > India as far as WC's are concerned. Its very tough to overlook 96 (final), 99 (winner), 03 (winner), 07 (winner) from Australia. They also won in 87, but like India's 83 win they weren't able to build on it afterwards so that was more of a one off.

Burgey

The way I look at it is from a captain's POV, if Dhoni's team gets up this WC than I'll put Dhoni >Ponting/LLoyd from captains who've won 2 consecutive WC's.

If you are looking at it from overall history's perspective than it's definitely Aus > WI > India as far as WC's are concerned. Its very tough to overlook 96 (final), 99 (winner), 03 (winner), 07 (winner) from Australia. They also won in 87, but like India's 83 win they weren't able to build on it afterwards so that was more of a one off.
I think they did build on it. They missed out in 02, but by then were on their way to becoming the best side in the world across tests and ODIs. Certainly the 92 WC was a big disappointment for Australia though.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I think they did build on it. They missed out in 02, but by then were on their way to becoming the best side in the world across tests and ODIs. Certainly the 92 WC was a big disappointment for Australia though.
Missed out in 02?

Burgey

Sorry, meant 92.

92 being less than the number of weeks Jono has owed me a steak.

Niall

International Coach
It would be awesome for India, but for Fletcher they need to because without winning a world title, its safe to say his reign has been a complete failure. A World Cup redeems the slide of the test side which he has overseen.

Daemon

You'd have cracked the ****s if I bought you a 17 dollar salt and pepper squid pub meal and claimed we were even.
Look at these snobby lawyer types looking down on a $17 meal /poorunistudent

Bunch of suit wearing ****s (sitting around in an airconditioned room)

Last edited: