• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

37th Match - New Zealand v Bangladesh (13th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James

Cricket Web Owner
Discussion surrounding the 37th Match of the World Cup between New Zealand and Bangladesh (Seddon Park, Hamilton).

Days of Grace

International Captain
Batting second against Bangladesh on a Hamilton pitch will be difficult but an excellent workout. I'm almost kinda hoping Bangladesh put up a reasonable total when they bat first.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
It doesn't matter whether we win or lose this we'll still top pool A. I hope some of our out of form players get a good hit out and we also play Mills.

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
A high chance of rain there that day I have heard! Sri Lanka SHOULD win at Bellerive comfotably but if they do not, well, perhaps a point for Bangladesh and a very slim chance of pinching third spot!

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, forecast from Friday right through the weekend was diabolical a couple of days ago but it has cleared up almost completely.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I know it's not in McCullum's blood to do so, but how much would we have to throw this game by to set up an Aussie-Saffer quarterfinal? We could open the bowling with Tom Latham and get him to bowl 100 consecutive front foot no-balls Robert Vance style. Let Bangladesh score 600 runs, and then every BC player knocks his own stumps over to get the team bowled out for 0.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I know it's not in McCullum's blood to do so, but how much would we have to throw this game by to set up an Aussie-Saffer quarterfinal? We could open the bowling with Tom Latham and get him to bowl 100 consecutive front foot no-balls Robert Vance style. Let Bangladesh score 600 runs, and then every BC player knocks his own stumps over to get the team bowled out for 0.
Stephen Fleming might have been up for it

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Yeah, forecast from Friday right through the weekend was diabolical a couple of days ago but it has cleared up almost completely.
depends which service you use. Wunderground for me has always been pretty accurate.

Here's Friday's forecast in HamiltON.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A team did something kind of similar in the 1979 Benson and Hedges Cup. I forget which team, but they declared on 1 for 0 after one ball in an OD game. I think the differentiator at the time between positions wasn't the modern Net Run Rate, but some kind of net runs - not 100% sure - but by losing without conceding more than 1 run, I understand they guaranteed that their differentiator couldn't deteriorate and thus the team in 2nd couldn't overtake them

It all ended in tears though when the TCCB chucked them out of the tournament because it was against the spirit of the game. I'd hope the ICC would have guts to do the same to any team doing what you're proposing.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Get Nasir in for this and give Taijul a chance who is more attacking than Sunny-

1. Tamim
2. Soumya
3. Mullah
4. Mushy
5. Shakib
6. Shabbir
7. Nasir
8. Mashrafe
9. Taijul
10. Taskin
11. Rubel

Will be horrible if Kayes plays again and then plays qf after this

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A team did something kind of similar in the 1979 Benson and Hedges Cup. I forget which team, but they declared on 1 for 0 after one ball in an OD game. I think the differentiator at the time between positions wasn't the modern Net Run Rate, but some kind of net runs - not 100% sure - but by losing without conceding more than 1 run, I understand they guaranteed that their differentiator couldn't deteriorate and thus the team in 2nd couldn't overtake them

It all ended in tears though when the TCCB chucked them out of the tournament because it was against the spirit of the game. I'd hope the ICC would have guts to do the same to any team doing what you're proposing.
It was Somerset the guilty party playing away at Worcestershire on May 23rd 1989.

"Worcestershire beat Somerset by ten wickets when the Somerset captain B.C. Rose sacrificed all known cricketing principles by deliberately losing the game. His declaration after one over from Holder, who bowled a no-ball to concede the only run enabled Somerset to maintain their superior striking rate in the group. In the end, Worcestershire and Somerset went forward [to the knockout stages] when Glamorgan's final match was rained off, thus preventing the Welsh county from joining the over two teams with nine points. Rose won the battle of the mathematics, but lost all the goodwill which Somerset had gained by playing attractive cricket in the preceding years. Worcestershire, embarrassed if not totally angered, refunded admission money to 100 paying spectators after Turner had scored two singles to complete their victory in a match which lasted for 16 deliveries and only 20 minutes, including the 10 minutes between the innings. The TCCB met at Lord's on June 1 and Somerset, for bringing the game into disrepute, were disqualified from the Benson and Hedges Cup by seventeen votes to one." (Derbyshire voted against the motion, implying that Somerset voted to support the motion!)

This kind of implies that in the end, it didn't make any difference to the qualifying. However, if Somerset had won then Worcestershire would have finished lower in the table than third placed Glamorgan, so the no contest definitely would have made a difference if allowed to stand. As it was, Glamorgan progressed anyway at the expense of Somerset.

I reckon England could have found a way to lose to Somerset in that match though with their current form.

Flem274*

123/5
this would be the funniest thing ever

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
If that happened I think a certain hero and his legal team would be very happy