• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

37th Match - New Zealand v Bangladesh (13th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
As much as I would love for Bangladesh to win this, I'd much prefer if they lose today and India get to face them in the quarter finals.

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
Oh and I forgot that the last qualifying game - Aust vs SA, was similar...Even if they lost chasing Australia's 283, they needed to get to at least 226 (they got to 250) to ensure Aust didn't get a bonus point meaning they would play NZ in the final.

So it wasn't actually done and dusted after the NZ game...it was a combined effort from NZ & SA :p
Ya I remember the SA/AUS game, Tony Greg was saying how much he wanted AUS to be in the final while SA batsmen kept on blocking...I missed the NZ/SA game though didn't know about that one until today

BeeGee

International Captain
So, what chance is there McCullum will win the toss?

I'll say SFA. It'd be nice to get chance to bat first for a change, though.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
WTF? Where are the "workman like", "punch above their weight" and "better than the sum of its parts"?

I've never seen that kind of praise for NZ on cricinfo. Ever.
Phlegm likes this post.

It's cool to like NZ again since they've had a good 12 months, I for one welcome the knee jerk reactions.
They've been on an uphill trajectory ever since Hobart 2011. It's not knee-jerk to good form, NZ is a genuinely classy team these days.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
WTF? Where are the "workman like", "punch above their weight" and "better than the sum of its parts"?

I've never seen that kind of praise for NZ on cricinfo. Ever.
Lol so true. We really need to get to 123/5 today to feel ourselves again.

BeeGee

International Captain
So, what chance is there McCullum will win the toss?

I'll say SFA. It'd be nice to get chance to bat first for a change, though.
We win the toss and bowl? WTF??

The crowd... NZ has won the toss... YAY!!!.... we'll have a bowl first.....BOOOOOOO!!!! :laugh:

Last edited:

Blain

U19 Captain
GRRRRRRR BOWL FIRST!!!

Seriously, surely the best thing for this team would be to bat first, try rack up a good score and defend it. Now we will be seriously under prepared if we are asked to bat first in the knockouts.

I hope Bangas can post 250's.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Phlegm likes this post.

They've been on an uphill trajectory ever since Hobart 2011. It's not knee-jerk to good form, NZ is a genuinely classy team these days.
I would say a bit later, Hobart was more the realization that the pieces were there for the puzzle. NZ had some unbelievably dire times in 12/13 but after the England tour things have only improved. But I'd say the media and the people who allegedly have expert opinions have only been boarding the hype train since the Indians toured and even then only really recently has the talk been deservedly how formidable they are.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
What is the forecast for the Tron? The only reason I can think for bowling is that they don't want to be duckworth-lewised

Mike5181

International Captain
Not sure I understand that decision. Taylor, Elliot, Ronchi etc desperately needed time at the crease. Just because you have a higher chance of finishing things earlier by bowling first, doesn't mean it's the right decision.

There's a lot more to gain from putting up a big total, giving your batsmen confidence and time in the middle. Then the bowlers, who are already feeling good, can do what they do after that.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What is the forecast for the Tron? The only reason I can think for bowling is that they don't want to be duckworth-lewised
I forget how Duckworth-Lewis works. Will it have taken into account how the pace of an ODI innings has changed in the past couple of years? I.e. with much higher emphasis being placed on scoring 100+ in the last 10 overs, if you're on a middling score in the 2nd innings when the rain sets in at around the 30 over mark, do current Duckworth-Lewis tables take into account how the run rate is now expected to be even higher later in the innings than it has previously. As the algorithm adaptable like that? If not, then surely there's a massive disadvantage in batting 2nd now if you expect rain to roll in towards the latter stages of the game.