• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Better host: Australia or New Zealand?

Who has been the better host?

• Total voters

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Power mechanisms in cricket as it is means Australia have all the advantages and New Zealand is like a lesser host right now.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Power mechanisms in cricket as it is means Australia have all the advantages and New Zealand is like a lesser host right now.
Not sure what's wrong with just saying both have done a nice job so far. I mean logistically speaking, everything seems to have gone swimmingly on both sides of the Tasman thus far.

_Ed_

Not sure what's wrong with just saying both have done a nice job so far. I mean logistically speaking, everything seems to have gone swimmingly on both sides of the Tasman thus far.
For sure. Obviously Australia are the major hosts, with five of the seven knockout matches. But we're playing an important part too and doing it pretty well. I think it's safe to say Afghanistan are going to remember us fondly as hosts.

Zinzan

For sure. Obviously Australia are the major hosts, with five of the seven knockout matches. But we're playing an important part too and doing it pretty well. I think it's safe to say Afghanistan are going to remember us fondly as hosts.
I also think from a players perspective it would be quite cool playing at the grand MCG one day & then a tranquil boutique little ground like Saxton Oval in Nelson a few days later. A nice & unique contrast.

smash84

The Tiger King
Especially as the Rugby World Cup is the third largest sporting event in the World only behind the FIFA World Cup and the Olympics.
Isn't the cricket world cup the third largest sporting event in the world? At least in terms of viewership?

TNT

Banned
I think the players prefer to play in Australia in the bigger stadiums with bigger crowds and better atmospheres. NZ is nice but you cant beat the whole package from Australia.

Zinzan

Isn't the cricket world cup the third largest sporting event in the world? At least in terms of viewership?
In terms of viewership, I was going to say cricket may be the 2nd biggest after the Soccer WC, but thinking about it, I suppose the Olympics would be 2nd still with the interest from China these days.

I think when they label the Rugby WC as being 3rd & bigger than cricket, they're talking in terms of number of nations following as opposed to merely viewership.

Zinzan

I think the players prefer to play in Australia in the bigger stadiums with bigger crowds and better atmospheres. NZ is nice but you cant beat the whole package from Australia.
Or alternatively they could actually appreciate the contrast of both, but I suppose that wouldn't be a competition then would it. :p

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Afghanistan are always going to find it a bit different. The culture shock is quite immense. The more they tour the better it will get but Dunedin during O week probably isn't the best place for them to visit.

TNT

Banned
Or alternatively they could actually appreciate the contrast of both, but I suppose that wouldn't be a competition then would it. :p
Oh I think they would enjoy both, but all sportsmen like to achieve the pinnacle of their sport and playing in a final in the MCG is going to rank higher.

_Ed_

Afghanistan are always going to find it a bit different. The culture shock is quite immense. The more they tour the better it will get but Dunedin during O week probably isn't the best place for them to visit.
Yeah, that's a good point.

But they seem to have enjoyed their time here - they were pretty enthusiastic during the new experience of their boat trip, and then of course there was that wonderful day at the oval yesterday.

smash84

The Tiger King
In terms of viewership, I was going to say cricket may be the 2nd biggest after the Soccer WC, but thinking about it, I suppose the Olympics would be 2nd still with the interest from China these days.

I think when they label the Rugby WC as being 3rd & bigger than cricket, they're talking in terms of number of nations following as opposed to merely viewership.
how many countries compete in the Rugby world cup?

And is rugby quite similar to American football?