• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah probably not. Might get some of the less mouth-breathing fans off his back but won't do him any favours on the field.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Maybe he's trying to do a Mitchell Johnson and make himself look really soft before becoming a world class player?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He hit 2 sixes against pretty much the same balls right before Aaron got him iirc. Maybe the repetitiveness of the 3 deliveries in succession had something to do with it.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Doubt Broad coming out and saying it makes any difference to other teams perception of him. It's not like any team in the world didn't know he had a massive problem with it anyway.

I doubt any opposition are gonna give him a load of abuse over it given the Hughes death - Most players will have thought after the death of Hughes that that could of been themselves.

If anything it's positive as Broad seems to be accepting the issue and looking to address it although it's gonna be tough to get over.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah this is what gets me. England aren't very good yet people basically talk like they decide to not be as good as McCullum and de Villiers on purpose.
There is a degree of mentality though - can you see an English de Villiers or McCullum existing?

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ABDV is a freak and there might not be another quite the same but Hales and McCullum have pretty damn near identical T20I records and with the progress Hales made last season I don't see why in another 7 years he couldn't be creaming them at the top for England.

Billings and Buttler both score at silly rates down the order.

cpr

International Coach
I've often wondered what Buttler could do further up the order, especially on pitches that are making 300 look like a low score as they are in the WC. Could give a bit more pace and urgency to Englands scoring, rather than having him down the order, facing death bowling and trying to keep his head whilst tailenders fall away. Just seems a waste of naturally attacking instinct to me.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I'm growing to the idea of bringing Bopara in for Ballance and playing Buttler-Morgan-Bopara as a 5-7.

England will never do that though.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Yes agree with those last few posts. Buttler should have been promoted up the order when Ravi was last year. If we make the quarters I'd definitely gamble at Buttler at 5 and just tell him to play naturally. He's the one guy that could win England the game. Morgan and Bopara are better off coming in later. I'll cry if Buttler is still at 7 this summer.

Aside from this and not really related to the world cup but more long term I've two questions of which I'm not sure

1) Could Root open or go 3 in ODI cricket? and would it be worth it?

2) Could Moeen become a decent middle order odi bat? Would it be worth it?

Not necessarily talking about reversing their positions. I was just looking at combinations of teams they could put out after the world cup.

Regarding the Root question. He's done really well at 4 (plays the middle overs well and can accelerate/ has variety in closing overs) but I feel he is better suited higher in the order than Taylor. Taylor really struggles against seam with the field up early but like Root is decent in the middle overs and in the closing overs. Root isn't great in the early powerplays and enjoys the field being back but he's a better bet than Taylor in the first 25 overs imo (and obviously last 25). Could Root be the guy to open (with a Hales or Roy) and play through the innings gradually accelerating or should we just let him be at 4 where he is doing well?

Say something like Root, Hales, Roy, Taylor, Buttler, Ali, Billings, Woakes, Wood, Dunn, Topley

or Roy, Vince, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Morgan, Billings, Willey, Jordan, tredwell,Finn.

Last edited: