Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Congrats Australia

Congrats Australia

As many of you know here I am a very proud Indian fan, but I also know great Cricket when I see it.

Australia have been and IMHO still are a great side, winning 3 World Cup's on the bounce and reaching 4 finals in a row really is quite remarkable!

Ponting today showed what a champion batsman he is, and I hope that he is allowed to continue playing and can bow out on his terms, a legend like him deserves that chance!

I understand how you Australia fans must be feeling now! but even in defeat you have done yourselves proud today the way you made us work hard for every run!

No doubt you will be a tough side to beat in the next World Cup in your home patch!

In many ways it is a shame this was not the final! it was worthy of that billing! but I guess that is how the cookie crumbles!

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Full credit for the way Ponting handled himself in the post match conference. True champion and deserves full credit for his knock today.

However lets stop with the "It was worthy of a final" tripe that seems to be written all over the place. One team was far superior than the other, Australia didn't deserve to make it past the QF's and based on their performances this world cup (beating one test standard team with a majority of their players missing) their campaign has ended the way it should have . With the exception of some rather bizarre and brainless dismissals from some of the Indians, the game was almost always in the bag. AFAIC, any of the other teams remaining in the competition would have beaten Australia in the QFs.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

vcs
    One of the greatest streaks in sports comes to an end today.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    *except England and New Zealand
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    I'm not emotional or philosophical after reading the OP.Is that wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Full credit for the way Ponting handled himself in the post match conference. True champion and deserves full credit for his knock today.

However lets stop with the "It was worthy of a final" tripe that seems to be written all over the place. One team was far superior than the other, Australia didn't deserve to make it past the QF's and based on their performances this world cup (beating one test standard team with a majority of their players missing) their campaign has ended the way it should have . With the exception of some rather bizarre and brainless dismissals from some of the Indians, the game was almost always in the bag. AFAIC, any of the other teams remaining in the competition would have beaten Australia in the QFs.
    The England squad say 'hi'. 6-1 and all that.

So do NZ, based on the group game, and WI.

Agreed that this wasn't a classic, obviously.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post

WI are gone, but awta.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden View Post
    WI are gone, but awta.
    Ah, I misunderstood TEC. Thought he meant any of the teams who reached the QF stage.

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post

I think a NZ side with Mills and Oram would have a pretty good chance of beating this Australia side.

WI, i addressed earlier isnt left in the competition.

England would beat Australia 9/10 times in these conditions. Losing to Australia in Australia 6-1 is irrelevant for several reasons, most notably because their bowling attack is more suited to home conditions (and Id argue those are the only conditions they are suited for), the series was by and large a pointless one with a majority of players jaded after already accomplishing the big hurdle -the Ashes and our entire first choice attack was missing for the majority of those games.

Banned
    In retrospect I think it hurt Australia that their bowling attack was so uni-dimensional. It didn't help either that White's form was worse than piss poor

I was coming on here to create just this thread, D_F beat me to it. Love them or hate them, no one can deny their greatness. They have had amazing success and my team can even achieve half of what they did, Id be happy. What champs!

School Boy/Girl Captain Tendulkar_200*'s Avatar
    I have commented on another thread how an Aus-India final would have been fantastic. We are the favourites, they are the holders for so many years!

India and Australia were the 3 strongest teams in this world cup in my opinion.

I think Australia were a credit to their nation and it was nice to see Punter score a 100! I think they might have got a tad complacent coming into the world cup after stuffing england in the ODI's after the ashes. When they came up against serious opposition they appeared a bit under prepared to me.
    Last edited by Tendulkar_200*; 24-03-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Tremendous run from the champion team.

Ponting also, what a gun.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    I think a NZ side with Mills and Oram would have a pretty good chance of beating this Australia side.
    If we had Harris and Bollinger fit we would have walked this WC as well. Hauritz would have also made the side much better balanced.

Harris
    Bollinger
    Lee
    Johnson
    Hauritz

Easily the best attack IMO.
    Last edited by Ikki; 24-03-2011 at 12:43 PM.
    ★★★★★

You would have walked this World Cup?

Australia would still have been ****house against spin. Unless you're also including having Symonds and Hayden back in the Australian team too?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information