• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup 2011 clouded by spot fixing?

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Truer words have rarely been spoken. Let's not make excuses for Kamran, he's just an awful wicket-keeper. Forget being the best in his country, he's arguably not even the best in his family. :laugh:
Probably not even the second best in the family. :p

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh::laugh: Still on this ridiculous ****? Australia scoring slowly and Warne predicting a tie? Give me a break.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's not really about earning a **** load as it is.There's always the greed to earn more,which is human nature.I'm not defending match fixing,but the 'already earning a lot' argument is pretty naive TBH.
Nice work. You've called the argument naive rather than the poster, thus avoiding any potential infraction. Excellent! :thumbsup:

Anyway, I'd suspect that the amounts earned by Indian, English and Australian players is many-fold higher than the amounts that Prabhakar, Malik or anyone in the early 90s would have earned. Would you jeopardise an IPL contract worth millions for a few extra squid in your backpocket through match fixing? Bull****. Unless you'd had a full frontal lobotomy. It doesn't take much more work out that an IPL contract is worth considerably more than the money you'd rake in from match fixing. The difference for Butt, Asif and Aamir is that the inherent anti-Pakistan sentiment in the IPL hierarchy means that they don't get picked and miss out on that massive earning potential. Naive? Well, I'd rather be naive than paranoid.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah during the spot fixing scandal IIRC they did bring up how much less Pakistani cricketers earn than other teams.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah during the spot fixing scandal IIRC they did bring up how much less Pakistani cricketers earn than other teams.
Exactly. To suggest that a post may be naive when you're implying that you'd risk a $1m+ IPL contract (in some cases) for a few g's of illegal spot fixing money? Well, I'll let you make up your own mind.

angad

U19 12th Man
Yea differance is HUGE.

eg.

Grade A Pakistani player earns - Pakistani Rupees 30 lakh ($35,108) + $4,000 per test + $2,000 per ODI + $1,000 per T20
Grade A Indian player earns - Indian Rupees 1 Crore ($225,990) + $16,000 per test + $10,000 per ODI + $5,000 per T20

ie. 35,000 + 32,000 (8 average tests/yr) + 50,000 (25 ODIs average) + 5,000 (5 T20s) = ~ US $ 120,000 for Pakistani player
226,000 + 128,000 (8 average tests/yr) + 250,000 (25 ODIs average) + 25,000 (5 T20s) = ~ US $ 630,000 for India player

^ thats 6x right there.

Plus Millions from IPL, TV ads etc etc.

Inflation is also higher in Pakistan, Upper class Pakistani's prefer to live in Defence Colony etc posh areas due to safety provided.

I don't know how much PCB alloted to domestic players.

PCB management sucks!!!

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nice work. You've called the argument naive rather than the poster, thus avoiding any potential infraction. Excellent! :thumbsup:
:laugh:

Anyway, I'd suspect that the amounts earned by Indian, English and Australian players is many-fold higher than the amounts that Prabhakar, Malik or anyone in the early 90s would have earned. Would you jeopardise an IPL contract worth millions for a few extra squid in your backpocket through match fixing? Bull****. Unless you'd had a full frontal lobotomy. It doesn't take much more work out that an IPL contract is worth considerably more than the money you'd rake in from match fixing. The difference for Butt, Asif and Aamir is that the inherent anti-Pakistan sentiment in the IPL hierarchy means that they don't get picked and miss out on that massive earning potential. Naive? Well, I'd rather be naive than paranoid.
Excellent post. 100 per cent AWTA

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was stupid enough that Pakistani players got invovled in spot fixing, given their pronounced legacy of suspicion. This would be a new level of stupid, if anyone got involved with bookies at this time.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Would you jeopardise an IPL contract worth millions for a few extra squid in your backpocket through match fixing?
Depends how much you enjoy calamari, I suppose.

Since spot-fixing depends on the outcome of events and passages of play rather than the match as a whole, it seems more likely that fixers would target cricketers from associate nations who wouldn't stand to lose nearly as much if caught out in terms of their career and lost earnings. Also much harder to detect anomalous performances since most of the associate cricketers play so little cricket against test nations.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone involved should be made to bat without protective equipment against Akhtar, Lee, Roach and Tait.