Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 81

Thread: Why Nehra

  1. #31
    R_D
    R_D is offline
    International Debutant R_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Everyone I spoke to before that last over was bowled (people watching the game with me, mates that SMSed me right before the over, and a friend emailing me from friggin' London) immediately criticised the Nehra decision before he even bowled a ball. Check out the match thread, CW said the same thing.

    Not sure why everyone is pretending like this criticism is hindsight.
    haha... same here was watching with few mates and called it soon as Nehra came on... We've lost this one.

    Its ridiculous how Nehra and Munaf insist on bowling line and length at the death overs.
    FFS try to bowl a little fuller if you can't bowl Yorker.... With Nehra i've come to the terms that he's just **** so not much is expected of him.

  2. #32
    R_D
    R_D is offline
    International Debutant R_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze 18 View Post
    Didn't Kohli say the MC word ?
    Yeah more like MC word.

  3. #33
    International Coach GotSpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Posts
    12,805
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Opener View Post
    Not sure what people are talking about. Bowling Nehra was the right move. Its standard to use a seamer in that situation.

    Fact is, if you weren't planning on using the guy there then he shouldn't have played. Dhoni was just using the resources given to him, and placing trust in a young bowler.

    In any case, its such a lottery at that stage its hard to place too much blame on anyone.
    Nah Bhaji was getting some uneven bounce and lower order batsmen are always going to prefer a gentle medium pacer who bowls it on a nice length
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

  4. #34
    International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    3,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    LOL

    z
    Yeah, ok I assume that every useless Indian seamer is an impressionable, delicate youngster.

    In any case, the fact that he's basically a vet means its even more correct to pick him to bowl.

    If you think he's that bad, you should blame the Indian selectors.

    If Harby even gets it slightly wrong he can be carted. Seamers can just bowl straight up yorkers. Its tried and tested.
    Last edited by NasserFan207; 12-03-2011 at 08:34 PM.
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN


  5. #35
    International 12th Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Jose CA
    Posts
    1,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Opener View Post
    Yeah, ok I assume that every useless Indian seamer is an impressionable, delicate youngster.

    In any case, the fact that he's basically a vet means its even more correct to pick him to bowl.

    If you think he's that bad, you should blame the Indian selectors.

    If Harby even gets it slightly wrong he can be carted. Seamers can just bowl straight up yorkers. Its tried and tested.
    Says a lot about the sad state of bowling affairs in India, but the second best yorker bowler in the India WC squad may be Harbhajan. A yard or two slower () but more accurate...

    Bowls something like a handy off cutter as well...
    Last edited by jeevan; 12-03-2011 at 09:58 PM.

  6. #36
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Think my question really is why the heck is Ashish Nehra in the side given that he has been been pathetic for the entire last decade? I though Dhoni did a pretty good job captaining yesterday, with the exception of the decision to bowl Nehra in the last over because giving anyone who isnt ODI standard the last over of a crunch game is most certainly the wrong decision, especially when there is a perfectly decent option available.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

  7. #37
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Think my question really is why the heck is Ashish Nehra in the side given that he has been been pathetic for the entire last decade? I though Dhoni did a pretty good job captaining yesterday, with the exception of the decision to bowl Nehra in the last over because giving anyone who isnt ODI standard the last over of a crunch game is most certainly the wrong decision, especially when there is a perfectly decent option available.
    It's hard to figure out what Dhoni is thinking sometimes.

  8. #38
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    12,536
    You simply can't defend bowling Nehra in the last over. It was a decision Dhoni made purely out of gut feeling which clouded the most obvious decision he should have made. Nehra has hardly bowled an over without a 'hit me' ball in the last month or so. To expect him to do it all of a sudden means Dhoni just had a hunch. Poor decision, although I'm pretty sure SA would have won even if Bhajji was bowling. Just that we would at least have had a chance, with a miscued shot going into the air or something. With Nehra it was all too easy. Even that 'unlucky' inside edge was a **** ball, could have easily been flicked away down to fine leg or slogged over midwicket for six. The follow up length ball was even worse.

  9. #39
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Dont think it was based on just a 'hunch'. I think he wanted to have a pace bowler bowling the final over instead of a spinner because generally a pace bowler is considered to be a safer bet, see Ajmal in the t20 semi final against Hussey. I dont exactly agree with that logic, and even if you agreed with that logic it seems absolutely ridiculous to put it in the incapable hands of Ashish Nehra.

  10. #40
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    21,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Opener View Post
    Not sure what people are talking about. Bowling Nehra was the right move. Its standard to use a seamer in that situation.
    This

    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Dont think it was based on just a 'hunch'. I think he wanted to have a pace bowler bowling the final over instead of a spinner because generally a pace bowler is considered to be a safer bet, see Ajmal in the t20 semi final against Hussey. I dont exactly agree with that logic, and even if you agreed with that logic it seems absolutely ridiculous to put it in the incapable hands of Ashish Nehra.
    Agree with you here that it was a calculated move but there was no other good seam option available in the team and I think that Dhoni was correct in having Zaheer in the 49th over. Had some other bowler gone for 10+ runs in that over then the final over would have been meaningless.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

  11. #41
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    69
    Ishant Sharma should have been in the squad not Nehra.

  12. #42
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    21,432
    Quote Originally Posted by slippy888 View Post
    Ishant Sharma should have been in the squad not Nehra.
    Ishant is no McGrath either.

  13. #43
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by slippy888 View Post
    Ishant Sharma should have been in the squad not Nehra.
    Why?

  14. #44
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,305
    Haha yeah. He'd have finished the match a couple of overs earlier. At least Nehra has a decent record in the last year, bowled well in the ODIs in SL and in the Asia Cup. It's gone pear-shaped for him since the series in SA this year.

  15. #45
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    12,536
    Yeah he was doing great until SA

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Group F (Super 8) - Sri Lanka, Australia, India, West Indies
    By James in forum 2010 ICC World Twenty20 - West Indies
    Replies: 725
    Last Post: 16-05-2010, 07:31 AM
  2. O'Brien vs Greig vs Patterson vs Clint McKay vs Nehra
    By DingDong in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 19-03-2010, 03:55 PM
  3. Nehra vs Pathan vs Zaheer
    By nehrafan in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 08-09-2005, 09:15 PM
  4. Nehra opens fire- extract from Mumbai Mirror
    By Arjun in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-08-2005, 02:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •