• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 19 - Bangladesh v West Indies

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shivfan

Banned
And interesting to see Bangladesh's bowling coach empathising with Gayle's tweets....

It's the best response I've seen so far from the Bangla authorities, from a WI POV. The quotes from Ahmed and Kamal almost seemed to be trying to play down the incidents, do a bit of damage control, and seemed to be less concerned with apologising to the West Indies, and seeking to allay their fears.

Imagine how the WI cricketers were feeling at the time. They hear a loud noise, the glass shatters, and the first thing that flies thru their mind is terrorist attack like what happened to the SL cricketers in Pakistan. SOme of the players may even have been traumatised by the incident, and if they were to play any more matches in Bangladesh, they might feel the need to request additional security. As things stand, the Windies don't have any more group games there, but it remains to be seen who plays at Mirpur again in the quarter-final. I'm sure the West Indies are going to feel very reluctant to go back there....

Woodster

International Captain
DWTA with Woodster. I always enjoy reading Woodster's posts but I get that your posting in hindsight again.

Tamim on 0 would have seen a wide one and wanted to get off the mark. Obviously edging a ball early on isn't good but he's a naturally aggressive batsman who have hit that for 4 on many an occasion.

Porterfield's dismissal against England was similar but you don't hear about that due to Ireland's brilliant middle order performance.

I think Shakib and Ashralol's shots were the most horrible. Ashralol had the perfect opportunity to play a mature knock, but it was never going to happen.
I enjoy your posts too mate, and banter that goes with it. I don't want to come across as a smart arse, but my post the day before the game had taken place was what I believed Tamim may have to do to influence the game -

Should be a very interesting contest. The Ireland victory will give hope to the underdog, which is still Bangladesh despite the home advantage,imo, and increases the importance in this result. In Kemar Roach, West Indies have the one bowler in this game that is capable of being the difference between the sides. Yes Bangladesh will look to strangle with their multitude of spin options, but played properly there is no individual that possesses the genuine quality to run through a side.

If Bangladesh can safely negotiate the threat of Roach, it will go a long way in securing a minor upset. There is not too much else to worry about in the WI bowling attack, and Tamim Iqbal will be wise to remember that his innings will become much easier for the safe passage past Roach. A circumspect approach early in his innings is not generally the M.O. for Tamim, but it may serve his side better should he go down this route tomorrow.

Woodster

International Captain
Just to add some more on your Porterfield point, I appreciate they are the fine lines in cricket, and had Porterfield (or Tamim ftm) got away with those shots or they'd flashed to the boundary and it had set their innings off feeling good about themselves, then we may be having an entirely different discussion. I just don't think Tamim played the percentages well enough early on with that shot and did not adapt his game to what the situation required in terms of the opposition's attack, the pitch, and the importance of his role within the Bangladesh side.

He is more likely to win Bangladesh a match, than Porterfield is with Ireland, also Ireland were chasing down what will have seemed a huge total at the time, so he'd have seen it as vital that they got off to a bit of a flier and exposed the fielding restrictions. Different circumstances for Porterfield so imo, slightly less culpable.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Finally had a chance to watch this match.

Haven't seen too much of him, but I do rate Devon Thomas behind the sticks. Looks fairly sharp.

Felt bad for the Bangladeshi fans even though I obviously wanted a Windies victory

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I enjoy your posts too mate, and banter that goes with it. I don't want to come across as a smart arse, but my post the day before the game had taken place was what I believed Tamim may have to do to influence the game -
Just to add some more on your Porterfield point, I appreciate they are the fine lines in cricket, and had Porterfield (or Tamim ftm) got away with those shots or they'd flashed to the boundary and it had set their innings off feeling good about themselves, then we may be having an entirely different discussion. I just don't think Tamim played the percentages well enough early on with that shot and did not adapt his game to what the situation required in terms of the opposition's attack, the pitch, and the importance of his role within the Bangladesh side.

He is more likely to win Bangladesh a match, than Porterfield is with Ireland, also Ireland were chasing down what will have seemed a huge total at the time, so he'd have seen it as vital that they got off to a bit of a flier and exposed the fielding restrictions. Different circumstances for Porterfield so imo, slightly less culpable.
Oops, I missed your message before the match had started. Fair enough then for you to say what you did say. Do you think that the Bangladesh team should have pushed Tamim down the order a bit or should Tamim have tried to play in a similar vain as he did in the match against India.

I personally love Tamim opening, but you have to take the good with the bad. I think Tamim was due a failure and some of the other batsman really needed to step up and at least post a competitive total.

I'm looking forward to Bangladesh vs England on Friday.

Woodster

International Captain
Oops, I missed your message before the match had started. Fair enough then for you to say what you did say. Do you think that the Bangladesh team should have pushed Tamim down the order a bit or should Tamim have tried to play in a similar vain as he did in the match against India.

I personally love Tamim opening, but you have to take the good with the bad. I think Tamim was due a failure and some of the other batsman really needed to step up and at least post a competitive total.

I'm looking forward to Bangladesh vs England on Friday.
Sorry for taking a while to get back to you on this.

I wouldn't have pushed Tamim down the order, but I would have wanted him to play more circumspect in tose opening overs against Kemar Roach especially. I'm aware that you wouldn't want him to lose his attacking and positive intent, but I don't think there is any harm in him just playing high percentage strokes early. If Roach had failed to remove Tamim, immediately that would have been a point scored for Bangladesh. He then could have looked to attack Benn, Sammy, Pollard, etc.

I appreciate it's a fine line, and players such as Dilshan, Sehwag etc, have a similar balancing act to judge. But they do have good strength in the batting to follow, a definite bonus that Tamim does not really have the luxury of.

But I agree with you that the other players should have recognised what had taken place and applied thereselves much better than they did.

I expect Tamim to come out all guns blazing on Friday, and depending on the pitch, I don't think Strauss should hesitate in getting Swann into the attack to remove him asap.