• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 18 - New Zealand v Zimbabwe

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flem274*

123/5
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your theory, but I plain don't understand the criticism Guptill receives. He averages 36 in ODIs, which is perfectly acceptable (especially for a New Zealand batsman), he just fails to go on with starts a bit. I'm sure as he progresses in his International Career, he will go on to rectify that problem (somewhat).
I think he deserves to be in the team, it just gets very frustrating when it is so predictable how his innings will go. Apart from his debut ton, he has been very sporadic. Fires with a fifty once a series and nothing else.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Although this is absolutely awesome to watch, and I love seeing NZ silence the doubters (including myself), I'm concerned about the lack of time in the middle our other batsmen have had. Would have liked to see Taylor and Ryder get a decent go today.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
It's because he looks like he could do so much more, unlike the rest of our batsmen.
Unfortunately for him, his key problems stick out worse than a (insert hilarious similie here).

-Playing spin
-Repeatedly getting out after starts
-Rotating the strike

Seriously. I love every part of his game except those three areas.
So he's a slightly-less-rich man's Shane Watson? You'll be fine.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Aside from perhaps Ryder and Williamson most batsmen in the current New Zealand team just commit too early and end up getting themselves into all sorts of problems against the spinners.
Something isn't working for them - for sure. But just when I get down on NZ batsman against spin - I think about batsmen from around the world I think of lots of people look ordinary against spin. I think Vettori has had Tendulkar out like 6 or 7 times in tests. I think Williamson is above average even if you benchmark him against all international batsman (against spin). I used to think Michael Clarke was awesome against spin but he seems to come undone against it from time to time.

My prediction which I have made 2 times now on CW is that in about 30 years from now batting against spin bowling will be revolutionised and people will start to dominate bowlers like Nathan McCullum. And I think the key is to use your feet.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jeez, how often does Guptill crack a sizzling straight drive into the stumps at the other end?

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Now the thought's going through both their minds-"can I really be ****ed running 16 more times?"

EDIT: Right on cue Brendon.

Spark

Global Moderator
Something isn't working for them - for sure. But just when I get down on NZ batsman against spin - I think about batsmen from around the world I think of lots of people look ordinary against spin. I think Vettori has had Tendulkar out like 6 or 7 times in tests. I think Williamson is above average even if you benchmark him against all international batsman (against spin). I used to think Michael Clarke was awesome against spin but he seems to come undone against it from time to time.

My prediction which I have made 2 times now on CW is that in about 30 years from now batting against spin bowling will be revolutionised and people will start to dominate bowlers like Nathan McCullum. And I think the key is to use your feet.
That's how it works though. The better players of spin are the ones who are more aggressive, and seek to dominate the spinners as you say. But obviously that brings with it more risk, so you're going to get out a bit.

And then there's form. If you're having a mare, doesn't matter how good you are against pace, spin, whatever, you're going to have a bad time of it.

Flem274*

123/5
Anyone noticed that when we have gotten it right in the past 20 odd matches, we've wiped the floor with the opposition? Starting with demolishing India in that tri-series, all our victories have been huge.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Anyone noticed that when we have gotten it right in the past 20 odd matches, we've wiped the floor with the opposition? Starting with demolishing India in that tri-series, all our victories have been huge.
So what you're saying is, you've won three games convincingly? :p

Xuhaib

International Coach
Nothing wrong with Guptill tbh, we just expect a lot from young batsman.
yup this.

this is why i find the criticism of players like Umer,Hughes and few others a bit unfair not everyone falls in Sachin/Lara class that they will become world class from day one guys like Ponting,Kallis, Inzi all were past their 25th birthday by the time they found their consistency you just have to back the talented guys.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Good, comprehensive annhialation to proove that we're definitely a notch above the likes of the Zimbos. Pity that we're still a long way below the "serious" teams. Kind of in limbo between the two, somehow...