Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Who will win this match?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • England

12 48.00%
  • Ireland

13 52.00%
Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* Match 15 - England v Ireland

*Official* Match 15 - England v Ireland

England v Ireland
    Wed Mar 2

M Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bangalore
    09:00 GMT | 14:30 local | 20:00 EST | 19:30 CST | 17:00 WST

England Squad

Andrew Strauss (captain), James Anderson, Ian Bell, Ravi Bopara, Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Paul Collingwood, Kevin Pietersen, Matt Prior (wicketkeeper), Ajmal Shahzad, Graeme Swann, James Tredwell, Jonathan Trott, Luke Wright, Michael Yardy, Chris Tremlett

Ireland Squad

William Porterfield (captain), Andre Botha, Alex Cusack, George Dockrell, Trent Johnston, Nigel Jones, Ed Joyce, John Mooney, Kevin O'Brien, Niall O'Brien (wicketkeeper), Boyd Rankin, Paul Stirling, Albert van der Merwe, Andrew White, Gary Wilson (wicketkeeper)

I would go with the same side as last time.
    Greatest Test XI::: S Gavaskar, M Hayden, D Bradman*, S Tendulkar, A Border, G Sobers, A Gilchrist, I Khan, S Warne, M Marshall, G McGrath
    Reserves: B Richards, V Richards, A Knott, M Muralitharan

Greatest ODI XI::: A Gilchrist, S Tendulkar, R Ponting*, V Richards, M Dhoni, M Bevan, S Pollock, W Akram, S Warne, J Garner, M Muralitharan, A Donald
    Reserves: A deVilliars, B Lara, R Hadlee, S Warne

Anderson has lost it at the death too many times for comfort. He needs to take a game out, spend some hefty time in the nets and get his rhythm right. Broad will be back so that's a straight swap.

Elsewhere, I'd consider bringing back Bopara but it'd be pretty unfair to drop Yardy after he bowled with a lot of nous against India. So I'd stick with the rest of the side.

There's an argument to play Wright or Tredwell for rotation purposes, but seeing as I'd rather cut off a finger than have either play in a knockout I wouldn't bother.

Ireland aren't likely to change much but could perhaps do with dropping White, who looked rather out of his depth against Bangladesh. Alex Cusack may be the man to come in.

Ireland's strength so far has been their middle-overs bowling with Dockrell and Botha bowling very well. The opening pair of Rankin's pace and Johnston's accuracy are certainly worth respecting too. It's the strongest attack of any minnow side by some distance. If Ireland win the toss and bat first on a flat deck, England may not have a third hefty run chase in a row in them.

Nonetheless, if England bat with half the purpose they did against India, they should get this fairly comfortably. But Ireland have a chance.
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 28-02-2011 at 03:09 PM.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Should be a total walkover. We're gonna win the World Cup.
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    I can't think whether we should swap Broad in for Anderson or Shazhad. At the moment I'm leaning on playing Shazhad, but his dodgy fielding worried me. I wonder how he'll bowl under real pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    I can't think whether we should swap Broad in for Anderson or Shazhad. At the moment I'm leaning on playing Shazhad, but his dodgy fielding worried me. I wonder how he'll bowl under real pressure.
    Cant justify playing Anderson at the moment I reckon. Big fan of his but he obviously needs a bit of time away from games right now. Bowling beamers and all sorts of rubbish at the moment.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Himannv View Post
    Cant justify playing Anderson at the moment I reckon. Big fan of his but he obviously needs a bit of time away from games right now. Bowling beamers and all sorts of rubbish at the moment.
    Yeah, I kind-of agree. The thing is, is it best to try to get him back into form against Ireland? Or let Shazhad get some confidence up against them?

Quite enjoying Anderson getting destroyed tbh. Would be devo if he doesn't play.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

England need to be careful here not to get too caught up in the moment after the India match, Rnakin was very expensive against Ireland but up front he could be a handful Joyce will be hungry, England to win but Ireland will run them close, lets not forget I know it was T20 but Ireland would most likely have beaten and knocked England out of the world T20 had it not rained when were cruising to a win and will be hungry for revenge!

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Nah they weren't cruising to a win, that's revisionist

Banned
    How have Ireland got more votes than England ?

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze 18 View Post
    How have Ireland got more votes than England ?
    Thanks to a mixture of not taking the poll seriously and/or making it look like you knew what you were talking about if there's an upset.

See: Sri Lanka v Kenya poll, which was at one stage 4-0 to Kenya.

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Should be the inverse of our last match, our batting will do much better but I expect most of our bowlers to get tonked.
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Yes they were, the bowled England out for 110 ffs! and were 20-1 in no time at all! Collingwood admitted but for rain England would probably have gone out ro Ireland that day!

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhoni_fan View Post
    Yes they were, the bowled England out for 110 ffs! and were 20-1 in no time at all! Collingwood admitted but for rain England would probably have gone out ro Ireland that day!
    England were 120/8 after their 20 overs, not 110 all out. It was also a very slow scoring pitch, and Ireland reached 14-1 in the fourth over, so hardly "no time at all".

Scorecard

Ireland had a decent chance, certainly, but "cruising to a win" is a massive overstatement.

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information