Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worst World Cup "on paper"

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    It'll be funny seeing you actually support someone for more than just a couple of games for a change.
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Meh, lets get this thing over with so we can focus on some real cricket happening afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    I forgot there was a World Cup going on once India got knocked out.
    Sri Lanka, on the other hand, went on the finals and I was drunk for that whole weekend. We lost spectacularly to a squash ball and I ended up with a splitting headache bailing my friend out of jail for drunk driving. What a party..
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Meh, lets get this thing over with so we can focus on some real cricket happening afterwards.
    This is what counts in the end!!! The world cup!!!!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    It'll be funny seeing you actually support someone for more than just a couple of games for a change.
    Yeah, but we suck hard in typical subcontinental conditions so it'll probably result in ongoing mockery or, if people really want to annoy me, patronising comments about how hard we were trying while losing by 370 runs.

Looking forward to it soo much regardless... so this is what it was like to be an England fan in the build up to every Ashes between '89 and '05.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    The main reason the Super 8s were so boring was because India and Pakistan had exited though.
    Nah, the reason the Super 8s were so boring was because of a complete lack of close, exciting games.

The only game that was really close and exciting was West Indies v England, and that came after both sides have been eliminated. Even Bangladesh v South Africa wasn't particularly close, Bangladesh were well on top from about the 30th over of their innings.
    ​63*

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar

?

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Didnt knew that you had such huge intrest in IPL..
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

The what?

Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    This is what counts in the end!!! The world cup!!!!
    We just differ in what we find important . I don't care much about ODIs. If India were to lose every ODI from now until the end of time, it wouldn't really bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    I forgot there was a World Cup going on once India got knocked out.
    Wtf are you on about? The 2007 WC was abandoned midway through the India-Bangladesh game.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Ok, so everyone knows that Australia aren't as good "on paper" as they have been for quite some time.

However, having watched a number of the other major countries over the past few months, the standard of the other teams in this WC really appears to be relatively poor as well

SA are representative of most teams in that they have an excellent core group of players but have precious little to back it up

SL have some high quality batsmen but will only field a couple of decent bowlers

Ditto India

Ditto NZ but with only one bowler

Pakistan are anyone's guess

WI are no hope

Only England look balanced but they lack players of the highest quality

I'd go as far to say that every major nation, bar possibly England, could point to virtually any team that they have fielded in the past 15-20 years and declare them better "on paper"

Dont get me wrong, I'm expecting an exciting contest as there is no longer a dominant team, but the overall standard simply doesnt appear to be there IMO
    Don't know what you are taking about mate, Sri Lanka probably has the best LO bowling attack in the world atm, an attack consisting of Murali, Mendis, Malinga, Kulasekara, Matthews, Perara gives them great variety and penetration.
    Indian batting line-up probably looks the strongest one world cricket has seen in a while, whereas the English side looks a good all-round unit that isn't really particularly dependent on one or two blokes to win them games and in Strauss, KP, Swann and Morgan they have got quality players as well.
    Its really Australia and South Africa that have come back to the pack in the last 12 months or so, also Pakistan would have been one of the firm favourites had Butt, Aamir and Asif been in the mix.
    Which finally leaves us with New Zealand, they are the one team that have never really looked that threatening on paper but they still pretty consistently make it into the last stages of an ICC tournament, in McCullum, Vettori, Styris Mills, Ryder, Taylor they have enough firepower to give the other fancied sides a good run for their money, and lets not forget that the format of the tournament is such that after the group stages you just need to win three games to lift the trophy and this might throw up a few surprises.
    So put it in a nut shell what teams look like on paper ain't going to mean much once the tournament starts, its how you gel together and gather momentum as a unit during the course of the tournament that is what's really gonna matter.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post

?

In fine form lately.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    Don't know what you are taking about mate, Sri Lanka probably has the best LO bowling attack in the world atm, an attack consisting of Murali, Mendis, Malinga, Kulasekara, Matthews, Perara gives them great variety and penetration.
    Indian batting line-up probably looks the strongest one world cricket has seen in a while, whereas the English side looks a good all-round unit that isn't really particularly dependent on one or two blokes to win them games and in Strauss, KP, Swann and Morgan they have got quality players as well.
    Its really Australia and South Africa that have come back to the pack in the last 12 months or so, also Pakistan would have been one of the firm favourites had Butt, Aamir and Asif been in the mix.
    Which finally leaves us with New Zealand, they are the one team that have never really looked that threatening on paper but they still pretty consistently make it into the last stages of an ICC tournament, in McCullum, Vettori, Styris Mills, Ryder, Taylor they have enough firepower to give the other fancied sides a good run for their money, and lets not forget that the format of the tournament is such that after the group stages you just need to win three games to lift the trophy and this might throw up a few surprises.
    So put it in a nut shell what teams look like on paper ain't going to mean much once the tournament starts, its how you gel together and gather momentum as a unit during the course of the tournament that is what's really gonna matter.
    Interesting observation but I think what you point out is that teams are probably evenly matched rather than being inherently strong.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Interesting observation but I think what you point out is that teams are probably evenly matched rather than being inherently strong.
    Yeah... my point is that I don't agree with social that teams like India, England, Sri Lanka are weaker when compared to their squads from the last worldcup.
    Australia and South Africa were the two most dominant sides for the last two decades and they seem to have lost that advantage coming into this worldcup, and maybe that's making social believe that the overall standard of all the other teams have eroded as well which isn't true.
    For me on paper India and Sri Lanka go into this worldcup as very firm favourites on the back of their respective batting and bowling line-ups, having said that certain teams that are looking weak on 'paper' might surprise a few people because of the format of tournament.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information