• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which is the team that you would least want your side to face in a knockout clash...

Blaze 18

Banned
If you're slightly better than BD 2007 that's all it takes sometimes. The WC 2011 India squad is comfortingly strong on paper, but so was the one four years ago.

Read Shri's post and went "you need to :shutup: "
I agree with you here, Jeevan. While there is every chance of this Indian side doing well, one would do well to remember that India had quite a strong side in some of the previous editions as well. India's recent form in ICC tournaments has been nothing to write home about since the 2007 T20 win, and the pressure on this side to win is massive.

smash84

The Tiger King
If you're slightly better than BD 2007 that's all it takes sometimes. The WC 2011 India squad is comfortingly strong on paper, but so was the one four years ago.

Read Shri's post and went "you need to :shutup: "
darn.........you might have anti-jinxed Shri's claim :)

lol........Turbi........your optimism is quite amusing.....although I must hand it to you that your predictions regarding India SA series were better than mine.......but then again.....you have only one prediction

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'd be so overjoyed with a knockout appearance that I wouldn't mind in the slightest.

But since you asked, India. They're quite simply head and shoulders above everyone else at home.
For a second I thought you gave away which team you support out of the big 8. Then it clicked.

cricpk

U19 12th Man
What they say, "If you want to be the best, you got to beat the best" (I hope there wasn't any mistake in the line i wrote :D).
I think Pakistan's best chance of reaching semi's or final is, if they reach knock out stages after loosing a couple of mathces atleast.

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain
Losing to England in a knockout stage would be the last straw (especially if it was the final)

TumTum

Banned
Definitely SL and WI.

SL because I fear what Sangakkara might do to us on these flat pitches. Their pace bowlers are smart and their spinners are likely to choke us to death.

WI only because I fear their openers. Gayle on the 2009 T20 WC destroyed both Lee and Tait single-handedly.

I'm not worried about England at all tbh, we beat them easily 6-1, then Watson and Ponting easily chased them down in the Champions Trophy SF, we were supposed to beat them although the series ended 3-2 England, and now we got an early win against them here.

Last edited:

slugger

State Vice-Captain
From a Indian point of view, i would say Australia.

We will be facing Srilanka in India ,right?

Not worried about them much in India ,tbh . If however the match is in Srilanka i would be worried.
If Sri Lanka look likely to win, we will probably never know, the Indian crowd can get quite worked up, thus match abandoned and win given to SL the sad thing is the Indian team will never truely know if they could have turned the game.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
In NZ case it would be pakistan. but thats not likely to happen unless they both make the final, which would be by far an amazing turn around by both teams :huh:

smash84

The Tiger King
In NZ case it would be pakistan. but thats not likely to happen unless they both make the final, which would be by far an amazing turn around by both teams :huh:
i think NZ might have turned a corner when they beat Pak in the champions trophy semi final

Himannv

International Coach
If we're playing them in India, I think it would be India. Very strong at home IMO.

Maybe South Africa would be tough too although I would be relying on a timely choke there.

salman85

International Debutant
West Indies.

We are much more likely to self destruct in a game where we are favored than in a game where we are underdogs.

Blaze 18

Banned
West Indies.

We are much more likely to self destruct in a game where we are favored than in a game where we are underdogs.
The current West Indian ODI side is quite weak to be honest. It would take an abysmal performance from Pakistan to lose to them.

Himannv

International Coach
The current West Indian ODI side is quite weak to be honest. It would take an abysmal performance from Pakistan to lose to them.
I dont think they are that weak. If Gayle has a good day there's no stopping them. Plus they have the likes of Chanders, Sarwan Pollard, Bravo and a few others who can make telling contributions with the bat.

As for their bowling, thats not too bad either. Roach is a class act and Sammy is really stingy when it comes to giving away runs. Big Bravo and Pollard aren't exactly easy to score off and can keep it tight. Their only worry is really a lack of a top drawer spinner. Gayle might do a bit of bowling and he's not too bad.

I wouldn't say there are too many teams that are head and shoulders above everyone else. All of them are reasonably matched and taking any team here as easy pickings will probably come back to bite you in the butt.

Blaze 18

Banned
I dont think they are that weak. If Gayle has a good day there's no stopping them. Plus they have the likes of Chanders, Sarwan Pollard, Bravo and a few others who can make telling contributions with the bat.

As for their bowling, thats not too bad either. Roach is a class act and Sammy is really stingy when it comes to giving away runs. Big Bravo and Pollard aren't exactly easy to score off and can keep it tight. Their only worry is really a lack of a top drawer spinner. Gayle might do a bit of bowling and he's not too bad.

I wouldn't say there are too many teams that are head and shoulders above everyone else. All of them are reasonably matched and taking any team here as easy pickings will probably come back to bite you in the butt.
Well I haven't watched a lot of them of late (have they even played any ODIs recently ?), and after reading your post, I think I was wrong to call them "quite weak". However, I really cannot see them beating Pakistan (or any of Australia, India, Sri Lanka, England) in these conditions.

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
Well I haven't watched a lot of them of late (have they even played any ODIs recently ?), and after reading your post, I think I was wrong to call them "quite weak". However, I really cannot see them beating Pakistan (or any of Australia, India, Sri Lanka, England) in these conditions.
Got thumped by South Africa in their last ODI series but I'd say there were a few positives to take home even in those losses. I think their T20 form has been pretty decent recently and their domestic competition has given their players a bit of much needed game time. Wouldn't really call them weak.

Very hard to predict any game with Pakistan in it anyway.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Yeah, the West Indies are a funny team. Overall they're just not very good as there are so many weak-links but they do have some real class which gives them great upset potential. If their best players hit form they could really do some damage in the knockout stages,

TumTum

Banned
India or Pakistan should not be worried about Gayle at all, he only feasts on fast and straight bowlers from Australia and England.