• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist a cheater?

pup11

International Coach
WTF? Have these blind Lankan fans gone mad, i think they probably are still in shock after their lose to the Aussies in the finals.

I mean WTF, from where the hell does drug thing come into all this and what has Shane Warne got to do with all this (he just took some weight losing pills, and faced its consequences too), whoever this Dr.Fernando is seriously needs some medical help.

Comeon Lankans learn to accept defeat.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is that a genuine article? It has to be extremely close to libel if so. :-O

The energy boosting drugs have definitely being taken by these 2 batsmen-the banned drugs!

I challenge these players to have urine and blood tests taken to ascertain whether this charge is true. There will still be some residue of the drug left.

Genuine shocker.
Hey don't knock the article, I agree with it whole-heartily.

Particularly about nulling all results of the crims recently. I personally think they should go back about, erm 6 months perhaps:unsure:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
A well thought out post !! Let's talk about the Lees, Malingas and Akhtars etc to conveniently forget the BIG CHEAT. I guess the smoke screen approach deflects attention from the GREATEST CHUCKER OF ALL TIMES !! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Give him seven.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Was this not mentioned in other countries during the actual game? On Sky over here Slater called it more-or-less straight away. He said Gilly had felt as if he was playing with too much bottom hand all through the tournament & the squash ball helped that.
Exactly. The point of the squash ball is that you can't grip the bat firmly with your bottom hand, making your top hand do all the work. It's an obstacle that is used to try and ensure that the bottom hand doesn't take over.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I am amazed at whats being made of an impressive innovation by a cricketer. How does it make Gilchrist a cheat?

1. He made no attempt to hide it. In fact the whole world came to know about it because he showed it up for all to see. So much for his intentions being dishonourable. (which is different from being innovative)

2. Where is the law that says what kind of gloves can be worn by the batsman and what kind of inners inside them. I would love to read that.

3. Suppose we got a batsman tomorrow who was physically capable of handling a 3 kgs bat (hypothetically speaking) do you know what he would do to the ball even with slight mis hits ? As far as I can read the law in this regard says absolutely nothing about the weight of the bat or the thickness of the blade. Could you ban such a player or call him a cheat. Not unless he did it even AFTER you had modified the laws to outlaw such a bat?

One could think of other such situations. If a type of glove or bat or any other equipment enhances performance it can be considered illegal only if it contravenes any laid down laws regarding the same. If not, its for the law makers to take a call on whether this new development needs further legislation/ammendment/modification to/of existing laws.

Finally it is only about the legality (purely technical) of the matter. How does cheating come into it - except by the wildest stretch of imagination assisted by dollops of latent angst against team/player in question.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
I completly agree with SJS, Gilly has done everything by the book and it was just a superb and innovative idea.

Enough crap has been said about this already and i hope this topic is over once in for all.