• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final.

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well Average alone does not does not tell the whole story. Its not just the runs one makes, but how they are made. Not many players in this world has dominated & Intimidated bowlers like Sanath. So compare the Average with his Strike Rate and you might get an Idea !
One question to pose to opposition captains - would you rather bowl to Sanath (proven, explosive match winner) or someone with a great average (eg: Bevan, proven match winner, but average bloated with so many not outs)?

I believe that the answer would be overwhelming in Sanath's favour as oppositions (Ponting included) fear him.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Saltua is Australia's answer to Sri Lanka's Elmo (probably two of the worst cricket journos)...he generally is off the mark and even cant get his facts correct - "his arm was broken by a rising Brett Lee delivery at the 2003 World Cup" When did this happen?
I think Saltau is a female journalist, while we're worrying about accuracy.....

Have a look above at one of my prior posts - in finals between Aus-SL, SL lead 3-2....Is it the Aussies turn to choke?
Maybe it's their turn to win.

On the actual topic of the thread, if Australia play their best cricket, they will not be beaten, but anything can happen in a one-off final. Malinga will be very important for SL given his unusual action (completely legal imo, before we get into any of that rubbish) and his ability to swing it in to the lefties, especailly Gilly who has that weakness around off stump. Despite both sides aving so many established stars, I'm really looking forward to seeing Malinga and Tait bowl on a fast, bouncy strip - should be great to see the ball flying around above waist height for once.

The issue of Maharoof v Watson is a good point - which of them will go for the bigest row with the ball may well decide things.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well Average alone does not does not tell the whole story. Its not just the runs one makes, but how they are made. Not many players in this world has dominated & Intimidated bowlers like Sanath. So compare the Average with his Strike Rate and you might get an Idea !
Yes, the S/R is good, I'm not doubting that.

Thing is he always gives the fielding side a feeling that they can get him cheaply, as shown by his overall average being where it is.

If he were averaging 40 or so at that S/R, it'd be a much more difficult proposition IMO...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
One question to pose to opposition captains - would you rather bowl to Sanath (proven, explosive match winner) or someone with a great average (eg: Bevan, proven match winner, but average bloated with so many not outs)?

I believe that the answer would be overwhelming in Sanath's favour as oppositions (Ponting included) fear him.
I'd much rather bowl to Jayasuriya TBH - for reasons detailed above.

For one thing I dare say Bevan has played more crucial innings in ODIs than Jayasuriya has.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If McGrath marks someone, he generally gets him. Jayasurya to fall for a duck before the might of McGrath.

Australia win by eight wickets.

Last edited:

JBH001

International Regular
Agreed SS. If McGrath marks him, odds are that Jaya is goneburgers for single figures.

There are some funny posts here from the Sri Lankan posters, all sorts of nonsense about mental scarring and what have you - sounds like reaching to me. Chill, guys.

This Australian side is playing some scary, good cricket born from a crazy level of focus and intensity. Frankly, I fear SL being blown away by it, unless they bat first.
( I would hate to say a repeat of 99/03 where the game is over by lunch)

Another thing, regarding Jaya vs Bevan - that is an unfair comparison as Bev is a middle-lower order bat, whilst Jaya is an opener. I do have to say though, that if forced to choose, I would rather bowl to Jaya than Bevan, Jaya (especially early on) always looks like he may give you a chance sooner or later, while Bevan looks immovable.

Last edited:

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
I sense a level of ****iness amongst our Australian members in this forum.

Whilst the Aussies have played very good cricket so far, its probably not a smart move to get ahead of oneself and make statements like "only way SL can win is if Aus play below their best". This situation reminds me of the lead up to the '96 finals where the ****y Aussies had virtually won the final, after the "come from behind win" against the Windies. When the blowtorch was applied in the "Sri Lankan strangle" mid-innings, Aus fell apart in an embarrasing manner.

This Lankan team can beat the Aussies, even if they are at their best. Judging by Pontings and Mcgraths remarks overnight, it sure looks like the threat that these Lankans possess, particular in big match situations, is well recognised.

The tactic to hold back the 3 bowlers in the meaningless S8 game is now looking to be threatening (refer Pontings comments) to the Aussies as they face an unknown, potent SL bowling unit. On the other hand, the SL bats have all had a good look at the Aussies bowling and can take a few lessons from it.

There is also another myth that if Sanath fails, then SL will lose. This is quite amusing. I say, take a look at the scorecard in the semi. The rest of the Lankan batting is strong enough to post a competitive score that will stretch Aus. Fighting back from a poor position is a hall mark of this SL batting team.

The final myth that Ponting is trying to exploit in his usual pre-match mind games (Yawn!) is that the Lankans cannot play the bouncing ball. Mmmm, this may have been true a few years back, but this this team has a bunch of experienced and skilled batters who can play the horizontal shots with ease, and also prefer the ball coming on. On the other hand, in Vaas and Malinga, SL probably have the best opening attack in the World Cup. So bring on the boucing pitch I say. Even Murali prefers pace and bounce as he can spin the ball on any pitch.

It should be a cracking match. I am obviously biased, but this SL team have the skill and temperament to beat the Aus team at its best...and this is the mindset the Lankans boys are taking into the big match.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If Australia play at their best, Sri Lanka will not win the match.

Australia's best > Sri Lanka's best.

That much should be obvious to all IMO.

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
If Australia play at their best, Sri Lanka will not win the match.

Australia's best > Sri Lanka's best.

That much should be obvious to all IMO.
Interested to find out how you arrived at this conclusion? I hope you are not basing it on the tripe being dished out in the Aus media right now....similar to what happened in '96.

If the match was played at the WACA, I may have to agree that Australia's best > Sri Lanka's best...but then again if the match is played at Premadasa, the reverse is true.

This is Barbados....a touch pacy and bouncy up front, low/slow in second half of match....not the WACA or Brisbane.

Both teams have 5 or 6 potential game breakers....On recent form, SL bowling unit is probably better than Aus, but Aus batting is a touch ahead of SL. Not much in it for fielding and captaincy as both teams are top notch in these areas.

Its a lot closer than Australians realise...or is a case of hoping the confidence and form of the Aus will get them thru. I say no, they will have to beat a strong SL team, currently running hot.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Interested to find out how you arrived at this conclusion?
Australia have a better team.

similar to what happened in '96.
You're obsessed with 1996. It was eleven years ago and has no relevance. Get over it.

Both teams have 5 or 6 potential game breakers....On recent form, SL bowling unit is probably better than Aus, but Aus batting is a touch ahead of SL. Not much in it for fielding and captaincy as both teams are top notch in these areas.

Its a lot closer than Australians realise...or is a case of hoping the confidence and form of the Aus will get them thru. I say no, they will have to beat a strong SL team, currently running hot.
Recent form has nothing to do with how teams will play at their best though. At a team's best, everyone's form is at maximum capacity. Sri Lanka may well win, but if they do, Australia will not have been at their best - because said best is better than anything Sri Lanka can produce.

pasag

RTDAS
Saltua is Australia's answer to Sri Lanka's Elmo (probably two of the worst cricket journos)...he generally is off the mark and even cant get his facts correct - "his arm was broken by a rising Brett Lee delivery at the 2003 World Cup" When did this happen?
Haha yeah, as Burgey said he is a she, so the point about getting facts straight is pretty ironic. I read her articles every day as she is the main reporter in the Caribbean and she is alot better then most of the crap posted here, especially some of the anti-Australian articles certain members supporting certain countries seem to continuously bring up.

Anyways, you're an interesting member. You remind me of Salamuddin in that from your location you live in Australia but support a different country, which is fine, but you go out of your way to target Australia and continuously underrate them, put them down and subject them to unfair and harsh criticism. Which is also 100% fine, it's just that I find it humorous and would not really pay much attention to your posts. I would probably call you a troll because most of your posts and the threads you start are trying to get a reaction from people like the one here, but that doesn't really bother me either.

Perhaps the "****iness" from Australian members comes from the fact that the side has not lost a single game in the World Cup. Perhaps it comes from the fact that this is one of the greatest OD sides in the modern form of the game. Perhaps it comes from the fact that every side has crumbled before it in the World Cup. Perhaps it comes from the fact that the side Australia are playing in the final, they thrashed only 10 or so days ago and had their top order in shambles early on. Sri Lanka had a full batting line up there, so talk of resting bowlers doesn't really make a difference.It seems you're confusing ****iness with the the realisation that Australia is a great side. Obviously Australia can't be complacent and they wont, thats why they are a great side.

Anyways, I don't expect it to be a close game really. Australia thrashed South Africa (who beat SL, mind), the second best side and New Zealand the equal third best side all in the past week and I don't expect Sri Lanka to stand a chance. It's a shame, I want a close final as much as anyone, but I'm not going to get it. I'm sure you'll stick around the forum after Sri Lanka have lost, I can't stand members who rock up, talk up their side, put down all the other ones and then piss off once they lose. ****s me like nothing else really.

[/prick mode] Btw, you have every right to bring up this post if Sri Lanka win.

Flem274*

123/5
Haha yeah, as Burgey said he is a she, so the point about getting facts straight is pretty ironic. I read her articles every day as she is the main reporter in the Caribbean and she is alot better then most of the crap posted here, especially some of the anti-Australian articles certain members supporting certain countries seem to continuously bring up.

Anyways, you're an interesting member. You remind me of Salamuddin in that from your location you live in Australia but support a different country, which is fine, but you go out of your way to target Australia and continuously underrate them, put them down and subject them to unfair and harsh criticism. Which is also 100% fine, it's just that I find it humorous and would not really pay much attention to your posts. I would probably call you a troll because most of your posts and the threads you start are trying to get a reaction from people like the one here, but that doesn't really bother me either.

Perhaps the "****iness" from Australian members comes from the fact that the side has not lost a single game in the World Cup. Perhaps it comes from the fact that this is one of the greatest OD sides in the modern form of the game. Perhaps it comes from the fact that every side has crumbled before it in the World Cup. Perhaps it comes from the fact that the side Australia are playing in the final, they thrashed only 10 or so days ago and had their top order in shambles early on. Sri Lanka had a full batting line up there, so talk of resting bowlers doesn't really make a difference.It seems you're confusing ****iness with the the realisation that Australia is a great side. Obviously Australia can't be complacent and they wont, thats why they are a great side.

Anyways, I don't expect it to be a close game really. Australia thrashed South Africa (who beat SL, mind), the second best side and New Zealand the equal third best side all in the past week and I don't expect Sri Lanka to stand a chance. It's a shame, I want a close final as much as anyone, but I'm not going to get it. I'm sure you'll stick around the forum after Sri Lanka have lost, I can't stand members who rock up, talk up their side, put down all the other ones and then piss off once they lose. ****s me like nothing else really.

[/prick mode] Btw, you have every right to bring up this post if Sri Lanka win.
Agreed. Australia are the best in the world ATM if they play at thier best they will win. This will not always be the case but at this world cup they are defintitely superior to the rest. Though in saying that, there's only two WC games that count, regardless of previous form.......

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Bevan. I'd back myself to get Jayasuriya out anyway, because if you bowl well to him early, it usually happens reasonably quickly. Bevan, on the other hand...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I can give five more reasons
1. Australia have a better team.
2. Australia have a better team.
3. Australia have a better team.
4. Australia have a better team.
5. Australia have a better team.

If they do lose in the finals, which can happen and I will love seeing that, it still wont change any of these five reasons :)

JBH001

International Regular
Also, regarding all this talk of complacency:

With all due respect, I frankly cannot see this Australian side being complacent for a WC final (its rather hard for me to imagine Ponting waking up on the morning of the final thinking "lets take it easy today"). Simply not going to happen.

Moreover, this match is the last hurrah for the old guard. It is probably Gilly's last major odi, and it certainly is Mcgrath's last odi. Again, no reason for complacency, in fact all the more reason for intensity and focus and a raising of performances.

It may be that Australia will have a bad day, they are due for one, but the odds are against it when we consider that with everything at stake, Australia will be doing their best not to have a bad day, and rather to have a very good day.

I doubt Sri Lanka will win it, but I do hope for a good game - even if I doubt a close one.

(It will take something truly exceptional for the Lankans to take this one out)

rpcfernando

Cricket Spectator

You're obsessed with 1996. It was eleven years ago and has no relevance. Get over it.

Recent form has nothing to do with how teams will play at their best though. At a team's best, everyone's form is at maximum capacity. Sri Lanka may well win, but if they do, Australia will not have been at their best - because said best is better than anything Sri Lanka can produce.
What a funny thought this is If Australia Lost they are not at their best. To the best of my knowledge every team produce there best for the world cup simply if they lost to sri lanka they are not better than sri lanka team. As I see they have 3 great players others are average players nothing special of them. Any body think if they come in to India , SL or Pak they could produce good cricket like when they are playing SA or EN then people can see what is the there position in world cricket

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, regarding all this talk of complacency:

With all due respect, I frankly cannot see this Australian side being complacent for a WC final (its rather hard for me to imagine Ponting waking up on the morning of the final thinking "lets take it easy today"). Simply not going to happen.

Moreover, this match is the last hurrah for the old guard. It is probably Gilly's last major odi, and it certainly is Mcgrath's last odi. Again, no reason for complacency, in fact all the more reason for intensity and focus and a raising of performances.

It may be that Australia will have a bad day, they are due for one, but the odds are against it when we consider that with everything at stake, Australia will be doing their best not to have a bad day, and rather to have a very good day.

I doubt Sri Lanka will win it, but I do hope for a good game - even if I doubt a close one.

(It will take something truly exceptional for the Lankans to take this one out)

I agree complacency is not part of the Aussie sporting culture...They will come intent on heaping the worst possible defeat on SL as they did to the South Africans.

But I for one do not doubt Sri Lanka's ability to pull this one.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
What a funny thought this is If Australia Lost they are not at their best. To the best of my knowledge every team produce there best for the world cup simply if they lost to sri lanka they are not better than sri lanka team. As I see they have 3 great players others are average players nothing special of them. Any body think if they come in to India , SL or Pak they could produce good cricket like when they are playing SA or EN then people can see what is the there position in world cricket
Agree... I hope no one starts digging for excuses like the conditions didn't suit them or somebody had a a tummy strain or a buttock cramp or rubbish like that..

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I sense a level of ****iness amongst our Australian members in this forum.

Whilst the Aussies have played very good cricket so far, its probably not a smart move to get ahead of oneself and make statements like "only way SL can win is if Aus play below their best". This situation reminds me of the lead up to the '96 finals where the ****y Aussies had virtually won the final, after the "come from behind win" against the Windies. When the blowtorch was applied in the "Sri Lankan strangle" mid-innings, Aus fell apart in an embarrasing manner.

This Lankan team can beat the Aussies, even if they are at their best. Judging by Pontings and Mcgraths remarks overnight, it sure looks like the threat that these Lankans possess, particular in big match situations, is well recognised.

The tactic to hold back the 3 bowlers in the meaningless S8 game is now looking to be threatening (refer Pontings comments) to the Aussies as they face an unknown, potent SL bowling unit. On the other hand, the SL bats have all had a good look at the Aussies bowling and can take a few lessons from it.

There is also another myth that if Sanath fails, then SL will lose. This is quite amusing. I say, take a look at the scorecard in the semi. The rest of the Lankan batting is strong enough to post a competitive score that will stretch Aus. Fighting back from a poor position is a hall mark of this SL batting team.

The final myth that Ponting is trying to exploit in his usual pre-match mind games (Yawn!) is that the Lankans cannot play the bouncing ball. Mmmm, this may have been true a few years back, but this this team has a bunch of experienced and skilled batters who can play the horizontal shots with ease, and also prefer the ball coming on. On the other hand, in Vaas and Malinga, SL probably have the best opening attack in the World Cup. So bring on the boucing pitch I say. Even Murali prefers pace and bounce as he can spin the ball on any pitch.

It should be a cracking match. I am obviously biased, but this SL team have the skill and temperament to beat the Aus team at its best...and this is the mindset the Lankans boys are taking into the big match.
Well said.:happy: