• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Crowds

Beleg

International Regular
LA ICE-E,

people in WI, from my understanding, don't earn as much as you folks in the states or europe do. It's much more sub-continent-lite in that regard. It's also easier for the students to skip a day of school/college/uni to watch a game, hence, with if they have the incentive, and are anything at all like their sub-continental counterparts, they will do it and come to watch the games.

$50 is more than £25. A general labourer in Jamiaca earns around $2000 anually. (upper bracket) Jamiaca is also one of the more prosperous of the carribean nations. Expecting someone to fork over 1/40th of their annual earnings over a game which doesn't even involve their own team on weekdays is ridiculous and shows a grave lack of planning.

The onus is on the organizers to encourage the people to come to the games - that will only happen if the people feel they are getting an excellent deal, which dwarfs the ease with which a game can be followed on TV/radio/internet.

Last edited:

quytst0rm

School Boy/Girl Captain
LA ICE-E,

people in WI, from my understanding, don't earn as much as you folks in the states or europe do. It's much more sub-continent-lite in that regard. It's also easier for the students to skip a day of school/college/uni to watch a game, hence, with if they have the incentive, and are anything at all like their sub-continental counterparts, they will do it and come to watch the games.

$50 is more than £25. A general labourer in Jamiaca earns around $2000 anually. (upper bracket) Jamiaca is also one of the more prosperous of the carribean nations. Expecting someone to fork over 1/40th of their annual earnings over a game which doesn't even involve their own team on weekdays is ridiculous and shows a grave lack of planning.

The onus is on the organizers to encourage the people to come to the games - that will only happen if the people feel they are getting an excellent deal, which dwarfs the ease with which a game can be followed on TV/radio/internet.

Maybe its because people from the Caribbean aren't as interested in cricket as people from subcontinent are.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
yeah thats what i was saying though...they should have game residents discounts for the minnow games...but as you know even if tickets were sold people couldn't come because-visa. one perfect example- sri lanka and india game- reported it was sold out but it didn't even look half packed...in all the organizers did everything right except for planning a better way to get the crowds at the game

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Maybe its because people from the Caribbean aren't as interested in cricket as people from subcontinent are.
no, they are but even in india there weren't crowds in games not involving india...its if people like cricket or not which they do...its the marketing and planning(visa) that ruined it for them...the organizers for the next world cup needs to do a better job at that and probably will but WI almost did it right...

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
$50 is too much, $90 is ridiculous. I know it's the World Cup, but here it costs the equivalent of about US$15 to get into any ODI.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
thats because no one would go to the games in NZ...people would be there in the wc but they just cant get to the WI

_Ed_

Usually about 30,000 go to ODIs in NZ, which I would suggest is a few more than are going to these games.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
but again if you can afford a trip all the way to the WI, than you can afford the price...
Too true but as I stated earlier, the issue with this competition is the theory behind the business model.

The local population isnt large enough to support a competition of this size. Add in the fact that it isnt a particularly affluent population and it looks crazy.

To completely rely on people traveling thousands of miles to even get half capacity is a very risky move.

The local population must provide the bulk of any spectator base with the tourist trade being a bonus. The theory behind this WC is entirely flawed.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Too true but as I stated earlier, the issue with this competition is the theory behind the business model.

The local population isnt large enough to support a competition of this size. Add in the fact that it isnt a particularly affluent population and it looks crazy.

To completely rely on people traveling thousands of miles to even get half capacity is a very risky move.

The local population must provide the bulk of any spectator base with the tourist trade being a bonus. The theory behind this WC is entirely flawed.
That's not a secret at all. There's a reason why there's a revolving door within the committee for this tournament.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
i dont think the wc will come back to the WI again even though the opening ceremony was great and they almost did it but they just aren't strong enough...but may it will come back again after a while they will solve the visa issue...

cause look they did almost ok- at the last minute- but ok, you look at england(who didn't need the special visa) and they seem to have a lot of crowd.even canada had crowds(because these teams didn't need that special visa) but countries that need it aren't really getting a lot of crowds...so if they just gave free visa to all the countries participating they would be set to have a successfull tournament...

but you cant blame them either because all they were trying to do was make it easier for the travelers so they don't need like 9 visas but it back fired because they didn't do that right...so one thing they didn't do right really back fired on them

LA ICE-E

State Captain
yeah...but its the world cup...its basically the main way the icc makes money...i wonder how much it costs for a ticket in fifa world cup

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
They need to follow the Aussies' lead at the 2003 Rugby World Cup. They made all tickets for games between minnows (ie. Romania/Japan/Namibia etc) about $5-$10 and encouraged the locals to "adopt" a team to engender some atmosphere. Worked a treat at places like Hobart.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Today we have the first super 8 game, with the biggest possible teams, and the ground is half full, its really pathetic and unbeleivable. The game has a cheap feel to it, not like a world cup match. Looks like it was a bad mistake for WI to host. Crap stadiums and crappy crowds, if this was in australia or england every match would almost be a sell out of 30,000.

Puts a downer on the WC if you ask me.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Today we have the first super 8 game, with the biggest possible teams, and the ground is half full, its really pathetic and unbeleivable. The game has a cheap feel to it, not like a world cup match. Looks like it was a bad mistake for WI to host. Crap stadiums and crappy crowds, of this was australia or england every match would almost be a sell out of 30,000.

Puts a downer on the WC if you ask me.
Crap stadiums? Most of the stadiums are in superb conditions. What are you on about?