• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Isolator

State 12th Man
How would you define "massive amount of luck"? How do you define luck in sport in general?
I don't see New Zealand comprehensively outplaying SA, SL or OZ in the matches to come (including possible semis, and final). So it seems to me that the only way they can win is through luck - the opposition playing below-par in a number of games, for instance.

If NZ can somehow raise their game I think it will be down to Bond and/or Taylor, and possibly Styris. I don't see anyone else performing consistently over the next 4 (possible) matches.

Isolator

State 12th Man
Gillespie and Franklin bowled an assortment of pork, mince & cheese, and steak & kidney
Franklin has been bowling crap for a very long time now. He hasn't been swinging the ball at all. Without swing, he's nothing. With swing, he's still quite crap.

el grapadura

Cricket Spectator
I don't see New Zealand comprehensively outplaying SA, SL or OZ in the matches to come (including possible semis, and final). So it seems to me that the only way they can win is through luck - the opposition playing below-par in a number of games, for instance.

If NZ can somehow raise their game I think it will be down to Bond and/or Taylor, and possibly Styris. I don't see anyone else performing consistently over the next 4 (possible) matches.
Well, we don't need to "comprehensively outplay them"; in fact, it's pretty unrealistic to expect that, given that they're all top ODI sides. A simple win will do... :)

Also, I wouldn't say that a team having a below-par performance is particularly lucky for their opponents, who still have to play well to beat them. For me, luck in sport has more to do with freakish events which help you out and happen once in a blue moon, everything else for me is the matter of ability and preparation meeting an opportunity. But maybe it's just me....

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don't see how this is a positive as such. I would call something a positive if it was a sign of a strength or area of improvement. This was just an isolated thing, I don't see what it has to do with the team in general.
Its a positive because 50 odd runs came off the last 3 against Ireland. New Zealands death hitting seems to be going very smoothly. All we need is a platform so that this no holds barred hitting can go on from the 40th over.

thierry henry

International Coach
That's nice - now how about you offer some alternatives?
What do you mean? Shall I start making up imaginary players?

All I'm saying is that one or two out of Franklin/Gillespie/Mason/Patel will need to be in the side, and I can accept that. However, if pressed for an opinion, I'd say they're all fairly rubbish. Most international sides have a few rubbish first-string players though.

Styris omfg gun. Bond, gun, Vettori I don't really like but can't deny his performances in ODI cricket, Taylor gun, etc etc. ftr I regard myself as an optimist about NZ cricket. I agree with Perm about this morning's result, two evenly matched teams and SL were better on the day. I reckon we can win the WC but I'm not actually picking us to do so. However, it could very easily happen.

btw LOL at McCullum up to the stumps to Gillespie today- how embarrassing.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Gillespie was ****e.

It was like have 2.5 Franklin's :@

It's only one game, and its NZ, ofcourse we gonna have 1 or 2 or 3 bad games, hopefully only 1 this World Cup. 4-0 from here

Dasgupta

School Boy/Girl Captain
Gillespie was ****e.

It's only one game, and its NZ, ofcourse we gonna have 1 or 2 or 3 bad games, hopefully only 1 this World Cup. 4-0 from here
I'm pleased we've got the bad game out of the way. Confident we can beat SA on Sun morning then whether we beat Aussie or not in the next game doesn't really matter until the semis and/or final

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
I'm really not attacking the team's performance because I saw this coming a mile away. What I am irritated by is the totally unrealistic hype about their previous performances. They have many, many, many problems. They had them in the CH series, they had them in all the matches they've won in the WC. This team is not as good as you think it is.
New Zealand's had these problems for years. They're not going to suddenly disappear.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Ive been optimistic about NZ's chances all along. But you can only fool yourself so much. My fears of NZ losing there last 3 and missing the semi's seem very close to reality.

I just hope we can beat RSA tonite

meatspx

U19 Cricketer
Something different and potentially quite surprising. A good idea to use Franklin's skills a bit more since he's destined to be in all the starting 11XIs and isn't providing enough with the ball.

Perhaps Bracewell should have kept it a sercret though, the teams will be analysing his batting more now.

GGG

State Captain
Why not open with him? Fultons a good player but his foot work isn't up to scratch to be a opener, he is a much better player down the order when the ball isn't seaming.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Why not open with him? Fultons a good player but his foot work isn't up to scratch to be a opener, he is a much better player down the order when the ball isn't seaming.
Maybe they will!!

Maybe even something like this

1.Fulton
2.Franklin
3.Fleming
4.Taylor
5.Styris
6.McMillan
7.Oram
8.McCullum
9.Vettori
10.Bond
11.Patel

:ph34r:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
hay we r gr8 we beat austrlia 3-0 we r d best in wrld crkt ritenow... bond is d best bolwer in teh wc evn tho he doesnt takke wkts whn there really impotant like of top ordr also jkb oram is gr8 env tho hes got shot selection of a ****** HEWAS GUNNA CUT OFF HIS FINGAR OMG CAN U GET MORE COMITMENT!!! and chk out craig mcmilans beard hes so tuff omg and rite now fleming is d best captan evr.
Isolator=waste of space.

Natman20

International Debutant
Gillespie was ****e.

I don't think he was to different from his normal self that game. He bowled a few bad balls because of his lack of cricket particularly in his frist over but I actually think he bowled better than Franklin in that match. Franklin does not deserve his place in the squad which is what I have been saying for the last couple of years or so. He isnt a good bowler in the ODI format nor will he be unless the ball swings which generally doesnt happen that often.

Good performance from todays match particularly the stand out players. TBH I thought SA might have got the better of us before the match started and I still believe they would have if they had won the toss. Semis is a great effort by NZ and I hope they can make it to the final although they will need to be on their top game to do so.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Great performance.

On the down side this probably confirms John Bracewell's position as coach for the next few years....