• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yousuf or Ponting?

Yousuf or Ponting

• Total voters

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Hey, it could be 12 in 12 if he was that good.

Mohammed Yousuf, when he scores, he scores big. Really big

shortpitched713

International Captain
silentstriker said:
11 wins out of 12 matches. Baaaaad captain.
I think you mean 11 series out of 12, right.

I know some people like to say the Ashes isn't anything special, but lets not devalue it to one lost match for Ponting. 8-)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
shortpitched713 said:
I think you mean 11 series out of 12, right.

I know some people like to say the Ashes isn't anything special, but lets not devalue it to one lost match for Ponting. 8-)
Since the last Ashes, he has won 11 matches and drew 1. Zero losses. Zero.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Overall, his match record is 22 wins, 3 losses, 5 draws. Please. Pick on someone has a higher than 10% losing percentage.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
The win percentage has been down to Australia just being awesome, not Ponting's captaincy.
But wouldn't being a 'bad' captain mean he would manage to lose even one of the past 12 tests? And if he hasn't how do you know he is a bad captain, considering, you know, he wins all the time?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I didn't say he was a bad captain, just that it is difficult to state his winning percentage as proof of being a good captain, when he is such a good side.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
silentstriker said:
Since the last Ashes, he has won 11 matches and drew 1. Zero losses. Zero.
Bet you would rather of lost them twelve other matches than just the two during the Ashes, yeah?:)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Tomm NCCC said:
Bet you would rather of lost them twelve other matches than just the two during the Ashes, yeah?:)
Doubtful. Not everyone shares the preoccupation with the Ashes that most English do. Not even the Aussies. Among the tests were those against Bangladesh and South Africa. Losing to Bangladesh 2-0 and South Africa 6-0 would be much worse for Ponting and the rest of the Aussies and their careers, you can be assured of that.

I think the Ashes is the best competition in cricket, even better than IND vs PAK, and easily the most enjoyable. But a little perspective is needed.

Jasim

Cricket Spectator
Muhammad Yousaf

No doubt both are great batsman and both have class.If we see the overall Performances of both these players then Ponting is better than Yousaf but the performance of Yousaf in 2006 makes him ahead of Ponting.

Last edited:

Kriketer

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
MoYo is being compared by Ponting. Well according to me that's quite an achievement, b/c hardly anyone used to recogniz MoYo as a really good batsman, like Ponting. If he contineous similar kind of hunger for runs in the future, then who knows he myt overcome Lara and Sachin.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jasim said:
the performance of Yousaf in 2006 makes him ahead of Ponting.
That's arguable. Yousuf may have more runs and centuries than Ponting, but then Ponting hasn't played as many innings. He's played 4 less innings and has 504 less runs. It seems like a vast difference, but Ponting is scoring at 105.80 per innings this year. It's not out of the question that he would be chasing Viv too if he had as many innings.

Just 1 less fifty and 2 less hundreds too.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
That's arguable. Yousuf may have more runs and centuries than Ponting, but then Ponting hasn't played as many innings. He's played 4 less innings and has 504 less runs. It seems like a vast difference, but Ponting is scoring at 105.80 per innings this year. It's not out of the question that he would be chasing Viv too if he had as many innings.

Just 1 less fifty and 2 less hundreds too.
That's excluding the most recent match. Ponting has one less century and the same number of fifties. I think it's fair to say they are pretty comparable this year. Yousuf has made big runs on more occasions, and has scored in excess of 190 four times this year compared to Ponting's one, but Ponting has been more consistent and has around the same number of runs per test, and nearly as many centuries from fewer innings. Ponting has also played in much more difficult conditions, though the opposition might favour Yousuf slightly, as two of Ponting's seven tests are against Bangladesh.

Either way, they've both had astonishing years. Ponting will play 10 tests for the year to Yousuf's 11, so I doubt he can touch Richards, but he may well break the 1500 run barrier again, as Yousuf already has.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
you cant compare them at the moment

ponting has played 30 odd more tests than yousof and people lok at stats,

take a look at pontings record at 73 tests

haroon510

International 12th Man
as simple as it is yousuf's record against south africa is so bad. if he continues the same form that he is right now for afew other series including the upcoming SA tour and improve his record against SA than me might have a chance to be campared with pointing. right now he is as good as kalis, dravid, inzi and jewardne is.

adharcric

International Coach
haroon510 said:
as simple as it is yousuf's record against south africa is so bad. if he continues the same form that he is right now for afew other series including the upcoming SA tour and improve his record against SA than me might have a chance to be campared with pointing. right now he is as good as kalis, dravid, inzi and jewardne is.
Jayawardene yes. Inzy almost. Kallis not really. Dravid hell no.