• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your solution to the BCCI - ICL standoff?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Aussie, the IPL might have negative effects, but it is better to have one tournament with negative effects than multiple tournaments with a greater magnitude of negative effects. T20 is here to stay. The players are getting their worth, and I'm not sure they'll agree with people denying them the chance to become financially well off just because some guys in front of the telly don't want them to.
I'd probably be willing to live with the reasoning, if the worrying factor that the BCCI could do some more damage wasn't likely.

Plus with the IPL likely to stay for a long time, i hope those clowns cut out stupid rule which only allowing 4-international players playing per team. Since it is clear nobody wants to see those unknown Indian youngsters.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I'd probably be willing to live with the reasoning, if the worrying factor that the BCCI could do some more damage wasn't likely.

Plus with the IPL likely to stay for a long time, i hope those clowns cut out stupid rule which only allowing 4-international players playing per team. Since it is clear nobody wants to see those unknown Indian youngsters.
No, you don't want to see 'unknown' Indian youngsters. We Indians (you know, the audience the Indian Premier League is targetted at?) certainly do. :dry: The IPL was made for us, we're paying for all of these players, they represent our cities, and to put it bluntly, if you have a problem with it, go curl up in a ball and cry yourself to sleep. I don't like talking to people like this, but then stop making statements like that which are a plain and simple insult to our players. I don't care particularly for English domestic cricketers, who are as unknown to me as Indian domestic players are to you, but I'm not going to criticize the ECB for employing these 'unknown' players when they get their EPL off the ground, so show some respect.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH, aussie seems to think of the IPL as some sort of international, rather than Indian domestic, competition. If that were true, such comments would be fair enough. However, the IPL is an Indian domestic competition and therefore it rather makes sense to ensure Indian players aren't swamped out of it.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Its is not that i think the "IPL" is so international competition. Jesus, the point i have been making ALL THE TIME, is that the IPL should have been created to market the entire cricketening community & not INDIA. How is that not obvious??

It was so god damn IRRITATING, watching some of those IPL games last years & seeing some top players benched & some unknown Indian player playing. That 4 player per game rule is wack.

If all the international players do like Johnson & pass up the IPL chance, they tournament pretty wouldn't even get an international audience.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why though should the Indian Premier League have been created to market cricket all over The World? If the idea was that, someone other than the BCCI would've created the thing and it'd be called the World Cricket Premier League or something.

However, the opportunity has been there pretty well ever since the start of Twenty20 (in fact even before it - Wisden's editor Graeme Wright was talking about the prospect of the thing as far back as January 2002), and no-one else has been interested. The BCCI were the first to put the idea into practice, so therefore the competition is going to be an Indian one, not a South African, Pakistani or anywhere else one.

Someone from the I$C$C board could've made the suggestion years pre-IPL, and the thing could've been organised by all boards jointly. But it wasn't.

If it was so god-damn irritating watching the thing, there's a nice simple solution - don't watch it. I didn't. I couldn't care less about the thing, because it's Twenty20, and I don't care two hoots for Twenty20. But I'm not about to go saying someone should be expected to be serving the globe rather than themselves when they've organised the show.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well i never heard about this Graeme Wright who was suggesting the possiblity of a 20/20 tournamet as far back as 02. News to me.

But who cares, of course the idea would have been turned back then. 20/20 didn't catch on till after the WC in South Africa anyway.

So for the one millionth time the IPL HAD to be created to benefit the entire cricket community becoming the EPL of cricket. India was always going to be the best place for it, since it has the funds & was going to draw the crowds. The BCCI still would have made huge profits.

If the ICC was structured properly that would have happened. Now we have a league that is going to be around for a good while & while it will still benefit the players financially, its crap to watch & worrying for the future of the game since who knows what nonsense the BCCI/I$C$C (as you would call them hahaha) will no next.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Well i never heard about this Graeme Wright who was suggesting the possiblity of a 20/20 tournamet as far back as 02. News to me.

But who cares, of course the idea would have been turned back then. 20/20 didn't catch on till after the WC in South Africa anyway.

So for the one millionth time the IPL HAD to be created to benefit the entire cricket community becoming the EPL of cricket. India was always going to be the best place for it, since it has the funds & was going to draw the crowds. The BCCI still would have made huge profits.

If the ICC was structured properly that would have happened. Now we have a league that is going to be around for a good while & while it will still benefit the players financially, its crap to watch & worrying for the future of the game since who knows what nonsense the BCCI/I$C$C (as you would call them hahaha) will no next.
If the reason you think its crap to watch is that it has 'unknown Indian players' , you're being plain pathetic. You don't need to watch it because it was created for you to watch.

And no, its an Indian competition without obligations to anyone else. There already exists a competition that will benefit the whole cricketing community; its called the Champions League. Try to think clearly before making baseless allegations. The BCCI might be nonsense, but they've certainly structured this one out the right way.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It wasn't the idea of Twenty20 - it was that of international inter-city tournaments. Sound familiar?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
If the reason you think its crap to watch is that it has 'unknown Indian players' , you're being plain pathetic. You don't need to watch it because it was created for you to watch. .
That clearly isn't my point though is it?. Are you debating that it wasn't a foolish decision for the IPL to have that "only 4-international player per match" clause??

And no, its an Indian competition without obligations to anyone else.
Yes it is. But you seem to missing my point all this point G.I.Joe sir.

The IPL SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN STRUCTURED STRICTLY AS AN INDIAN COMPETITION. simple.

If the ICC wasn't the way it is, the IPL has i said before would have been created to benefit everyone.

Now that the IPL basically is under the BCCI control, although the IPL will benefit players pockets greatly in the coming years given what happened with with Bond & MoYo (given their involvement in the ICL which shouldn not existed ITFP). Its very uncomfortable watching the IPL since we don't know what crazyness they might do in the future.

There already exists a competition that will benefit the whole cricketing community; its called the Champions League. Try to think clearly before making baseless allegations. The BCCI might be nonsense, but they've certainly structured this one out the right way.
How is the CL benefiting the whole cricketening community??. Tournaments like that & Standford, ICL are the rebel tournaments that should not even be existing if the ICC was really in control of everything, as i've been saying ALL ALONG..

Cricket only needs one MAJOR Twenty20 tournament.

Richard said:
It wasn't the idea of Twenty20 - it was that of international inter-city tournaments. Sound familiar?.
Nah yo..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Nah. I reckon many frustrated Pakistani fans plus a few Kiwis share my views. (Not necessarily on CW)

Not to forget the many people i know personally who got so excitied when the IPL started up, then to see the nonsense unfold in front of their eyes..

Precambrian

Banned
Nah. I reckon many frustrated Pakistani fans plus a few Kiwis share my views. (Not necessarily on CW)

Not to forget the many people i know personally who got so excitied when the IPL started up, then to see the nonsense unfold in front of their eyes..
Unreasonable expectations. After all it is just a mickey mouse cricket extravaganza particularly conducted by BCCI.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
That clearly isn't my point though is it?. Are you debating that it wasn't a foolish decision for the IPL to have that "only 4-international player per match" clause??
Yes. What part of the IPL did you not understand? Its Indian. Deal with it. We're going to stuff it with Indian players until the cows come home. Surely your remote control possesses an OFF button? You make very peculiar arguments.

Yes it is. But you seem to missing my point all this point G.I.Joe sir.

The IPL SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN STRUCTURED STRICTLY AS AN INDIAN COMPETITION. simple.

If the ICC wasn't the way it is, the IPL has i said before would have been created to benefit everyone.

Now that the IPL basically is under the BCCI control, although the IPL will benefit players pockets greatly in the coming years given what happened with with Bond & MoYo (given their involvement in the ICL which shouldn not existed ITFP). Its very uncomfortable watching the IPL since we don't know what crazyness they might do in the future.
And that is a ridiculous opinion. :unsure: India have every right to organize their own competition. Demanding that the IPL be structured as an international competition is like demanding that the Sheffield Shield or County championship become an international competition.

How is the CL benefiting the whole cricketening community??. Tournaments like that & Standford, ICL are the rebel tournaments that should not even be existing if the ICC was really in control of everything, as i've been saying ALL ALONG..

Cricket only needs one MAJOR Twenty20 tournament.
Teams qualify. Teams participate. Every qualifying state/franchise gets a guaranteed participation fee. Winner gets prize of $5 million. Pretty simple. Whats not to understand?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Don't agree that the CL benefits the whole cricketing community tbh, but that's based on what I remember which may be unreliable so I will read up a bit tomorrow and return

Can't agree that the IPL should have been ICC controlled though, crazy talk

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yes. What part of the IPL did you not understand? Its Indian. Deal with it. We're going to stuff it with Indian players until the cows come home. Surely your remote control possesses an OFF button? You make very peculiar arguments.

And that is a ridiculous opinion. :unsure: India have every right to organize their own competition. Demanding that the IPL be structured as an international competition is like demanding that the Sheffield Shield or County championship become an international competition.

Teams qualify. Teams participate. Every qualifying state/franchise gets a guaranteed participation fee. Winner gets prize of $5 million. Pretty simple. Whats not to understand?

Oh snap. We seem to be going around in circles. Let me clarify my position on the matter based on what has happened since the Twenty20 WC in SA which resulted in the ICL & IPL starting up:

- Firstly. As i've stated since the beginning. Given that the ICC is structed in the foolish state, in which it does not have TOTAL control over ALL governing matters & the BCCI has all this power. It will ALWAYS lead to problems.

The first major problem was the ICL, being created. In no other sport could, can any Entrepreneur type establishment decide they want to establish tournament & have players running towards it. But given that the BCCI controls the ICC, when the ICL intially commenced, no one really cared given that their was a genuine non-attraction towards T20cricket & the fact that retired/out of favour national players went to it.

- Secondly. Given that the BCCI does have all this power in the game. After the Twenty20 world cup last year, it is clear that they took advantage of the BUZZ that was created during the T20WC & established the IPL.

All the boards where behind the idea & while most fans found the whole thing very exciting, given how glamorous it seemed at the inception. NO ONE, really looked at the long term effects nor payed keen attention to the rules the IPL set-up & it was shown with the situations of MoYo & Bond.

So in essence what happened there, with the BCCI in control of the ICC. The ICL was allowed to be established lawlessly & then with the obvious revolution of Twenty20's that occured after the WC in SA. The IPL was created to counter it & suddenly the ICL was considered rebel, thus costing NZ & PAK two key players who just wanted to earn some extra clash while playing for their nations.

- Thirdly. Given as i just said, given the BCCI has ALL THIS CONTROL in the world game (i hope my repetition of this phrase makes this point clear). It is clear they IPL should have been created to benefit the ENTIRE CRICKET COMMUNITY, making it the EPL of cricket. India would have still made massive profit.

That 4-player per-game rule is an absolute farce & it should be scrapped. Since it is clear that if all the international players decided the hell with IPL, it wouldn't become like the the normal T20 tournament like the ones in England, AUS & SA.

So in the current state, although players will still make big dollars in the future. With the BCCI in control, its worrying since it is clear they can still harm the game in the future since they won't let anything get in their way.

On the Champions League. As i mentioned in my first point. Given the ICC's inadequate structure those are the kind of wild tournaments that should not be existing along with Standford (although he helped to revive enthusiam in WI cricket) & potentially that farce T20 competition over here in 2010. Just ONE MAJOR T20 tournament is required in modern day cricket, given all the jam packed schedules.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Fair points all, Aussie. The differences that we do have though, seem to be set in stone. Lets agree to disagree.