• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your preferred WC format

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well I thought it gave an edge to group games. Take Eng V NZ in 07. We realistically knew both teams were going to progress but that game still had plenty riding on it because of the prospect of the points bearing fruit in the Super 8s.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I didn't actually mind the 07 format, but they needed more games each day. Would also do away with semis with that format, get the best two teams in the final
Nah, IMO we need as many knockout games as possible. Every game should have a lot riding on it. You don't want the finals decided with several games still to play. What exactly would the other teams be playing for at that point?

Invite as many teams as possible, get the group stage over fast, and move on to the exciting phase.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah, IMO we need as many knockout games as possible. Every game should have a lot riding on it. You don't want the finals decided with several games still to play. What exactly would the other teams be playing for at that point?

Invite as many teams as possible, get the group stage over fast, and move on to the exciting phase.
I can see both sides of the argument.

From what I remember, most people were salivating over the 2007 WC format prior to the tournament. It was like 92 - all the top teams playing each other. Then India and Pakistan both screwed up and there were a lot of one-sided games in the Super 8s.

Would the top 2 be decided with loads of game to spare? Possibly, but then again you could go into the final weekend of the Super 8s, with four games being played and heaps of permutations where any couple of teams could make it through.

At the same time, knockouts ARE what tournaments are all about and they are exciting. I think cricket needs to find a balance, because a WC with a group stage of three games then quarters seems a bit too short, really. When we live in an age of 7-match ODI series, 6 games to win a WC seems like too few.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yes, those universally loved 7 match ODI series :p.

But yes, six games may seem too little but IMO more is not always better.