• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your gutsy calls for 2020

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ashwin here is like Warne in India. It won't end well. He even got dropped last year and he was bowling to Marcus Harris ffs. Don't get me wrong, as an Australian supporter, I hope they both play.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ashwin here is like Warne in India. It won't end well. He even got dropped last year and he was bowling to Marcus Harris ffs. Don't get me wrong, as an Australian supporter, I hope they both play.
Come on, that's a bit generous to Ashwin. He's more like Murali in Australia.

Burgey

Not really, Warne was terrible in India. There's nothing wrong with accepting it.

OverratedSanity

Nah, he injured himself bowling a billion overs at Adelaide, wasn't dropped. But I do think he would've been dropped by the end of the tour anyway if he had played at Perth or Melbourne.

Burgey

He needs to be here to use his galaxy brain at press conferences, even if he’s not in the XI.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah, he injured himself bowling a billion overs at Adelaide, wasn't dropped. But I do think he would've been dropped by the end of the tour anyway if he had played at Perth or Melbourne.
To me he bowled better than Lyon at Adelaide and I don't see any reason he would have been dropped given Jaddu was only just about servicable in the games he did play. Like I said earlier, I did not see him bowl a fully bad spell except when he was carrying the injury at Southampton and even then he was at least maintaining control, which was not a plus for him during his earlier tours.

I think he understands his bowling a lot better and with the fast bowling attack taking shape, his role within the side better as well. So I remain optimistic of how he will go, provided Shaz and Virat don't go bonkers and drop him for no reason, as they have done with Rahane, Pujara etc.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Playing two spinners in Australia really shouldn't be thing unless your best two bowlers are spinners and your third best seamer isn't really Test standard. So Bangladesh should do it, Afghanistan and Sri Lanka should consider it but try to avoid it, and everyone else should pass on the idea.

If Jadeja is deemed enough to bat 6 (or 7 with Pant at 6 if they go with him) then that opens up a great opportunity to play all four quicks, not Ashwin. This isn't because I don't rate Ashwin; it's because Australian Test pitches are by and large pretty terrible and take one style of bowling completely out of the game, at least against batsmen who have primarily set up their games around such pitches. Ashwin is a very good bowler but nowhere near better than Umesh Yadav by enough to make two spinners a good idea at the home of bouncy roads.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Playing two spinners in Australia really shouldn't be thing unless your best two bowlers are spinners and your third best seamer isn't really Test standard. So Bangladesh should do it, Afghanistan and Sri Lanka should consider it but try to avoid it, and everyone else should pass on the idea.

If Jadeja is deemed enough to bat 6 (or 7 with Pant at 6 if they go with him) then that opens up a great opportunity to play all four quicks, not Ashwin. This isn't because I don't rate Ashwin; it's because Australian Test pitches are by and large pretty terrible and take one style of bowling completely out of the game, at least against batsmen who have primarily set up their games around such pitches. Ashwin is a very good bowler but nowhere near better than Umesh Yadav by enough to make two spinners a good idea at the home of bouncy roads.
choosing to take your words out of context to suggest the inverse is also true and england should play five seamers when they next come

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
choosing to take your words out of context to suggest the inverse is also true and england should play five seamers when they next come
Nah five seamers is illegal.

Maybe they should play four seamers and make Joe Root send down some pies though.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Nah five seamers is illegal.

Maybe they should play four seamers and make Joe Root send down some pies though.
honestly on a real it’s why i disagreed with dropping ali... outside of the india tour, pretty much the only overseas spinners to not get absolutely destroyed when they came here and played the full tour were rangana herath and keshav maharaj... but captains here still insist on bowling shunt spinners and watching them get tonked (talking in the last decade or so here), and then comes the obligatory drop your spinner for the reserve in the last test... borthwick, tastle, and somerville, santner 2016, jomel warrican, you name it we’ve seen it

Shady Slim

International Coach
honestly on a real it’s why i disagreed with dropping ali... outside of the india tour, pretty much the only overseas spinners to not get absolutely destroyed when they came here and played the full tour were rangana herath and keshav maharaj... but captains here still insist on bowling shunt spinners and watching them get tonked (talking in the last decade or so here), and then comes the obligatory drop your spinner for the reserve in the last test... borthwick, tastle, and somerville, santner 2016, jomel warrican, you name it we’ve seen it

this is all very stream of consciousness but what i’m saying is essentially overseas captains in australia play these useless finger spinners and try to use them as containment bowlers and it never works, maybe they should stop trying

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

You did see Umesh stink up the joint at Perth last year, didn't you? Trust me, I would rather play Ashwin away from home than Umesh. He is always going to be good in home conditions but away from home, he is a 1 4 an over bowler and his magic deliveries won't be so much magic anymore. Now, if you say Bhuvi, I would agree with you.

Put it this way, if Hardik plays at 6, they may want Ashwin at 8. If Jaddu plays at 6, they may want Bhuvi at 8. But dropping Ash for anyone else would be a mistake IMO. And you under rate what spinners can do on good for batting decks with a bit of bounce. If the seamers can do a job, the spinners can get the wickets. Especially if Jadeja is only seen as the all rounder and therefore just 10-15 overs a day.

Flem274*

123/5
ashwin is far too proper to succeed as a foreign spinner in australia.

jadeja is a jammy bastard who is exactly the sort of hackfraud who will meme it up with ball, bat and in the field to contribute to indian overseas wins. he'll huck in ugly darts for a million overs and it will be far better for india than ashwin trying to bowl properly.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not really, Warne was terrible in India. There's nothing wrong with accepting it.
Was joking that Ashwin was even worse than that, not being serious at all. Ashwin has been bad over here, just like every other offspinner to tour in the last fifty years.

OverratedSanity

jadeja is a jammy bastard who is exactly the sort of hackfraud who will meme it up with ball, bat and in the field to contribute to indian overseas wins. he'll huck in ugly darts for a million overs and it will be far better for india than ashwin trying to bowl properly.
This would be a perfectly accurate description of Jadeja in 2017. The guy's batting has been thoroughly non-hackish the last 3 years.