• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your England Ashes squad?

Firebreaker

Banned
What is your Ashes squad?

Mine would be almost the same but replace Stoneman,Westley and Malan with Hales,Hameed and any batsmen who piles run in next round of CC.

TRJ might be dropped as well in favour of someone like Ball or Finn

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rather hard to see Ball coming out of a series in Australia with an economy of less than 4.5, but if that's what you want, go for it.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cook
Hameed
Root
Westley
Malan/Hales
Stoneman?
Bairstow
Stokes
Moeen
Foakes/Buttler
Anderson
Broad
Woakes
TRJ
Wood
Finn
Crane

Personally wouldn't pick Finn or Crane but both will be in the squad I reckon so no point not including them.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Boycott
Amiss
Edrich
Hayes
Fletcher
Steele
Hampshire
Greig
Knott
Taylor
Snow
Arnold
Hendrick
Lever
Ward
Pocock
Underwood

Gnske

Cook
Stoneman
Root
Hales
Bairstow
Stokes
Ali
Woakes
Broad
Roland-Jones
Anderson

Buttler
J.Clarke
Hameed/Robson
Crane
Finn/Ball

Woakes is a funny one for me, replace him with a batsman and he ends up too low or Stokes ends up playing way too low in the order.

Also Robson for the traitor story line. And you may as well go back to visiting old friends if you're picking opening bats who can't even average 35 in County. The same comp which is already well known to be a substantial step down from test level, as you hear every English summer.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Cook
Stoneman
Northeast
Root
Hales
Bairstow
Stokes
Ali
Woakes
Broad
Anderson

Roland-Jones
Wood
Mason Crane
Foakes
Trego

grecian

I've been an unbeliever on Rashid from the start really, when he was first picked for England in ODI's he basically spun nothing it was flat nothingness.

Then he learnt to spin the ball but became a guy that bowled so many bad balls it was ridiculous, took wickets but with no control, He did kinda ok at this in India, so at the start of this Summer I had to have ridiculous conversations about if Rashid should be preferred to Ali. Which was always no.

Yet if Adil should have been preferred to Dawson, well thats a totally different matter, he's a better cricketer in every way and now we're getting Mason rCane ahead of him, WTF.

So I've in a few months come from Rashid is over-rated to under-rated, both massively BTW.

He's clearly the second spinner.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've been an unbeliever on Rashid from the start really, when he was first picked for England in ODI's he basically spun nothing it was flat nothingness.

Then he learnt to spin the ball but became a guy that bowled so many bad balls it was ridiculous, took wickets but with no control, He did kinda ok at this in India, so at the start of this Summer I had to have ridiculous conversations about if Rashid should be preferred to Ali. Which was always no.

Yet if Adil should have been preferred to Dawson, well thats a totally different matter, and now we're getting Mason rane ahead of him, WTF.

So I've in a few months come from Rashid is over-rated to under-rated, both massively BTW.
Haha yeah this has basically been my journey as well.

theegyptian

Craig Overton has been quietly having a nice season. Possibly still just lacking that touch of pace to be really effective. However I rather feel like he could be an asset in Aus conditions. Gets good carry and fairly relentless with hitting that top of offstump line with some lateral movement. Bowls slightly fuller than your typical 6'5'' seamer. Whilst he's not sharp, he does have a bouncer that seems to trouble county bats.

Maybe next season he gets a chance after a winter with the lions - and Finn/Ball/Broad/Anderson/Wood/trjwhoever are dropped/retired/injured/whatever.

S.Kennedy

Finn and Ballance. Guaranteed.

They should probably start stocking up on their bottles of zinc now.