• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Country's XI who died during your lifetime

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Arthur Morris
Bill Brown
Don Bradman (c)
Lindsay Hassett
Jack Ryder
Keith Miller
Jack Gregory
Don Tallon (+)
Ray Lindwall
Bill Johnston
Bill O'Reilly

Richie Benaud (12th) - in at eight if it's a spinning deck with Johnston or Gregory missing.

Burgey defies any other XI listed in this thread to bother walking on the park, with the possible exception of one nominated by JBMAC.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1. Bert Sutcliffe
2. Walter Hadlee (*)
3. Bevan Congdon
4. Martin Crowe
5. Merv Wallace
6. Martin Donnelly
7. Frank Mooney (+)
8. Tony MacGibbon
9. Hedley Howarth
10. Tom Pritchard
11. Jack Cowie
Yeah, that's a good one. Maybe we could find room for Dick Motz as well, instead of either MacGibbon or Pritchard?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Arthur Morris
Bill Brown
Don Bradman (c)
Lindsay Hassett
Jack Ryder
Keith Miller
Jack Gregory
Don Tallon (+)
Ray Lindwall
Bill Johnston
Bill O'Reilly

Richie Benaud (12th) - in at eight if it's a spinning deck with Johnston or Gregory missing.

Burgey defies any other XI listed in this thread to bother walking on the park, with the possible exception of one nominated by JBMAC.
Are you old enough to squeeze in McCabe over Ryder? He died in Aug '68. I know you're about 50 so I assume it's touch n go

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, this is a bit morbid. I found myself wondering about the great John R Reid’s health and googling his age (he's 91 btw). I hope he is well. Are there any other members of the NZ 49ers who are still alive?

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Vijay Merchant
Budhi Kunderan
Vijay Manjrekar
Vijay Hazare
Polly Umrigar
MAK Pataudi(C)
Dattu Phadkar
Lala Amarnath
Ramakant Desai
Ghulam Ahmed
Subhash Gupte

This team is going to get better with the passage of time, albeit sadly.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Graham Stevenson and (if wpdavid was born early in 1971) Don Wilson.
I had forgotten about Graham Stevenson's passing, although now you mention it, I do remember something of this. He must have been pretty young.
Regarding the cut-off point, I was born in 1960 so Lillian Thomson pretty much nailed that as he is a similar age to me. The summer of 1971 was when I started watching the game and I was wondering about players who I had actually seen play for England who had passed on. I think Don Wilson was a bit before then? Obviously this is irrelevant to younger members. I also suspect that it wouldn't be possible for Australians of a similar vintage. My side was boosted (if that's the right word) because England played a number of 40 year olds when I started watching the game. Also England tend to use more players, so statistically we're going to lose more. Burgey or one of the other older Australian posters would know better than me. Apologies if my sub-thread has derailed things at all.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Don't really get this thread. The older you are the better the XI?
Don’t get what your point is. There’s no prize for the best XI. As with the “year you were born” thread it’s dependent on the accident of birth. In that thread if you were born in 2002 you’re probably picking your own college XI. There’s nothing to “get”, just an exercise to join in with or not as you feel fit.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
I had forgotten about Graham Stevenson's passing, although now you mention it, I do remember something of this. He must have been pretty young.
Regarding the cut-off point, I was born in 1960 so Lillian Thomson pretty much nailed that as he is a similar age to me. The summer of 1971 was when I started watching the game and I was wondering about players who I had actually seen play for England who had passed on. I think Don Wilson was a bit before then? Obviously this is irrelevant to younger members. I also suspect that it wouldn't be possible for Australians of a similar vintage. My side was boosted (if that's the right word) because England played a number of 40 year olds when I started watching the game. Also England tend to use more players, so statistically we're going to lose more. Burgey or one of the other older Australian posters would know better than me. Apologies if my sub-thread has derailed things at all.
Ah, forgot it was “players you’d seen”, not “players in your lifetime”... Wilson played one Test in NZ in 1971, seven years after his other Tests.