• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Country's XI who died during your lifetime

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Sounds a bit morbid. But you're born, you run up bills, have a daft haircut and then die.

1 Jack Hobbs
2. Len Hutton
3. Wally Hammond
4. Denis Compton
5. Ken Barrington
6. Tony Greig
7. Les Ames
8. Fred Trueman
9. Brian Statham
10.Harold Larwood
11.Jim Laker

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pakistan only produced 2 world class players in their early days. Both Hanif and Fazal died in my lifetime. Imran, Wasim, Waqar, Younis and the rest are still around.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1. AR Morris
2. WA Brown
3. DG Bradman *
4. NCL O'Neill
5. PJP Burge
6. KR Miller
7. RG Archer
8. RB Benaud
9. GJ Gilmour
10. GRA Langley †
11. WA Johnston

Main thing I lack is an express bowler. Ernie Toshack was also a bowling option but would make the bowling even slower and the batting weaker.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Sounds a bit morbid. But you're born, you run up bills, have a daft haircut and then die.

1 Jack Hobbs
2. Len Hutton
3. Wally Hammond
4. Denis Compton
5. Ken Barrington
6. Tony Greig
7. Les Ames
8. Fred Trueman
9. Brian Statham
10.Harold Larwood
11.Jim Laker

I'm guessing that you and I are similar ages.
If so, I probably can't beat that line-up. Born in January 1960 btw.

On a related train of thought, I'm old enough to produce a side of England players I saw play who are no longer with us.
That takes us back to 1971, so we have Luckhurst, D'Oliveira, Cowdrey, MJK Smith, Titmus, Greig, Woolmer, Slack, Dilley, Bairstow and Denness.
There are probably others.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Your side is light in bowlers but I wish Australia had 6 batsmen as good for Leeds.
Yeah, I was checking people like John Price, Peter Lever and Geoff Arnold, but they're still around.
Ditto England's batting of course.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I'm guessing that you and I are similar ages.
If so, I probably can't beat that line-up. Born in January 1960 btw.

On a related train of thought, I'm old enough to produce a side of England players I saw play who are no longer with us.
That takes us back to 1971, so we have Luckhurst, D'Oliveira, Cowdrey, MJK Smith, Titmus, Greig, Woolmer, Slack, Dilley, Bairstow and Denness.
There are probably others.
Apart from John Hampshire who's now been mentioned I could only think of Ben Hollioake and Chris Balderstone. I always get the feeling I've missed someone of distinction.

Edit: Somehow forgot Closey.

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
South Africa (died after 1979)

Eddie Barlow
Bruce Mitchell
Trevor Goddard
Jackie McGlew
Dudley Nourse
Colin Bland
Clive Rice
Johnny Waite
Hugh Tayfield
Neil Adcock
Peter Heine

morgieb

Barnes not in the OP XI? Died after Hobbs did.

My XI would be the same as Starfighter's except with Lindwall making it.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Len Hutton
Colin Cowdrey
Peter May (c)
Denis Compton
Tom Graveney
Tony Greig
Les Ames (wk)
Harold Larwood
Jim Laker
Fred Trueman
Alec Bedser (replaced by Johnny Wardle on a turner)

Last edited:

morgieb

Interesting that the English dead ATG XI would probably smash the living one, whereas for Australia it's arguably the opposite.

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
1. Bert Sutcliffe
2. Walter Hadlee (*)
3. Bevan Congdon
4. Martin Crowe
5. Merv Wallace
6. Martin Donnelly
7. Frank Mooney (+)
8. Tony MacGibbon
9. Hedley Howarth
10. Tom Pritchard
11. Jack Cowie

trundler

Probably because cricket just doesn't occupy the same place in English society anymore. It's all been going downhill since the 70s. In Australia and the subcontinent most period would be able to name their test match captain but not in England. Bit of a shame. In the mid 60s England could leave out Edrich and Barrington. Right now they've got 1 test class batsman.