• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Best Football XI

BoyBrumby

Englishman
GeraintIsMyHero said:
I'd have Bergkamp in a dream team of mine tbh, somewhat shocked he never even made the bench, but fair play to ya.

Also disappointed you left out Bould and Winterburn, thought any Gunner would put the ol' back four in there!!
Couldn't leave Smudger out tho. Absolute legend &, as I said, hero of mine when I was at an impressionable age. Incidentally, how insane is it that an English striker who was the top scorer in the top flight in 1989 didn't go to the 1990 World Cup?!? He repeated the trick in 1991 to highten the mistake.

WRT Bould & Nutty Nige, I love them both, but Keown & Fat Ken were just the better players in my humble estimation. Big Sol unlucky to miss out too really, but always had something of the hired hand about him rather than being an Arsenal man.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
aussie said:
i'd be tempted to have Rooney in a United side already..
No.

He may have talent, but he's far from even being a United legend as yet, as Cantona and to a lesser extent RvN were.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Keeper - Tough one, we've had some decent keepers without one really standing out. I suppose the choice comes from Andy Goram, Andy Rhodes, Paul Gerrard and John Hallworth. Hallworth is discounted as i never liked him. Goram was an outstanding sportman (played cricket for Scotland and even took a wicket against Yorkshi*e) but his best years were after he left Oldham. Rhodes was about during our early glory years and was solid without being spectacular. Gerrard is a story of unfulfilled promise, he was one of if not my favourite player for a time and seemed destined for big things. Sadly that hasn't happened but his years at Oldham were top notch so he gets the nod.

Back 4 - Earl Barrett, Paul Warhurst, Ian Marshall and Dennis Irwin. The likes of Andy Holden, Chris Makin, Gunnar Halle, Richard Graham unlucky to miss out but i always hated Andy Barlow. All 4 of my defence would later continue their careers with some success, Irwin admittedly at a lower level, whilst Barrett was unlucky with injuries. Marshall and Warhurst also offer versatility if we are chasing the game.

Centre midfield - Neil Redfern, Nicky Henry. Redders was again one of my favourite players, frequently scored cracking goals and put away the penalty in 91 that sealed the championship. Henry was a terrific player and i'll always remember the cracker he scored against the Arse in the cup - was his first goal aswell. Mike Milligan, John Sheridan, Paul Bernard unlucky.

Wingers - Tommy Wright, Neil Adams. Honorable mentions to Rick Holden and David Eyres. We always used to use our wingers heavily, i was brought up on Holden, Adams and Wright torturing full backs and whipping it in for Rog, Frankie and Stitch to finish. Eyresey brought some of that back to us. Never really liked Holden that mutch so thats why he misses out.

Forwards - Andy Ritchie, ooh Roger Palmer. A certain mr Bunn would probably be there if it wasn't for the injury that messed up his career. Palmer and Ritchie are a worthy pairing in any case,.

Royle to manage of course

Gerrard
Barrett
Irwin
Warhurst
Marshall
Henry
Redfearn
Adams
Wright
Palmer
Ritchie

Can't think of any that i've missed but there's probably a few who deserved a mention. The fact that none of them are from recent times indicates both our poor recent history and the constant moving of players these days.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For Mansfield town:

Goalkeeper: It's really only between Ian Bowling and Kevin Pilkington. Bowling a legend from 95-00 and Pilkington took over him. Going for Bowling because Pilkington went and signed for Notts County.

Defence: Warren Hackett, Ian Baraclough, Stuart Watkiss. Hackett was our first signing after i started supporting them and was pretty solid, Baraclough scored from 45 yards (only equalled by Greenacre) and Watkiss was the backbone of our 90s defence.

Midfield: Liam Lawrence, Craig Disley, Lee Williamson, Wayne Corden, Steve Parkin. 3 of them came up through the youth team and made up a strong midfield that got us promoted. Lawrence went on to play for Sunderland in the Premiership. Corden was my favourite player when at Mansfield and i still maintain he'd have solved the late 90s Left Midfield problem for England. Parkin was a solid CM that went on to manage us for a period.

Forwards: Between Lee Peacock, Chris Greenacre, Richard Barker and Stewart Hadley. Definitely having Greenacre in there, and i think Barker has done more for us now than Peacock did.

GK - Bowling
DC - Hackett
DC - Watkiss
DC - Baraclough
DMC - Parkin
ML - Corden
MR - Lawrence
MC - Williamson
AMC - Disley
FC - Greenacre
FC - Barker

Subs: (everyone old who had Prem experience)
Bobby Mimms
Scott Sellars
Keith Curle
Carlton Palmer
Des Walker (Was going to play for us, but then got injured at the start of the season)

EDIT: Forgot Luke Dimech, our Maltese international. Pretty good centre back who for was amazing at making bursting runs up the pitch somehow.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
For Mansfield town:

Forwards: Between Lee Peacock, Chris Greenacre, Richard Barker and Stewart Hadley. Definitely having Greenacre in there, and i think Barker has done more for us now than Peacock did.

GK - Bowling
DC - Hackett
DC - Watkiss
DC - Baraclough
DMC - Parkin
ML - Corden
MR - Lawrence
MC - Williamson
AMC - Disley
FC - Greenacre
FC - Barker
Always liked you Matteh. Sir Chris makes into two CW XIs, therefore prving himself to be better than Pele :cool:

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Alan Rogers?
Ian Moore?
Gareth Taylor?
Alan Rogers - Fat sluggish thing who only scored when he crosse dthe abll

Ian Moore - Didnt see enough of Ian More to get a proper Judgement of him

Gareth Taylor - As the Capital one corner sang on Saturday "Gareth Taylor, What a wan..." you know where Im going with this

It's Bennett ffs. I hate people who cut off an "n" or a "t" :sleep:
It was an accident

Craig

World Traveller
--------------------------- Julio Cesar -----------------------------------------

---------- Maicon - Materazzi - Samuel - Grosso ----------------------------------------

-------------- J. Zanetti - Vieria - Cambiasso --------------------------------------------

------------------------ Crespo -- Ibrahimovic ----------------------------------

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Cudicini

LDF: Lahm
CDF: Ayala
CDF: Cannavaro
RDF: Neill

DM: Pirlo

LM: Van Der Vaart
RM: Farfan

CAM: Van Persie

ST: Torres
ST: Kezman

SUB1: Schweinsteiger (cbf spelling)
SUB2: Valeron
SUB3: Kewell
SUB4: Sorin

No real reasons, just a bunch of my favourite players.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
'95 United - '06 United;

GK - Schmeichel

LB - Irwin
RB - Neville
CB - Bruce
CB - Stam

RM - Beckham
LM - Giggs
DMC - Keane
AMC - Scholes

FW - van Nistelrooy
FW - Cantona

Bench:
van der Saar
Parker
Pallister
Yorke
Sharpe

I have, in all probability, forgotten someone exceedingly obvious.
I thought Paul Parker left/retired/died/whatever in about 1992.

The Foxtrot

U19 12th Man
GK - Petr Cech

RB - Lucas Neil
CB - Roberto Carlos
CB - Terry
RB - Rio Ferdinand

RM - Ronaldinho
CM - Ballack
CM - J. Cole
LM - Viera

CF Rooney
CF Shevchenko

DJellett

International Debutant
GK - Petr Cech

RB - Lucas Neil
CB - Roberto Carlos
CB - Terry
RB - Rio Ferdinand

RM - Ronaldinho
CM - Ballack
CM - J. Cole
LM - Viera

CF Rooney
CF Shevchenko
2 x right backs, Ronaldinho on the right wing, Viera on the left and Joe Cole in the centre?
Intriuging...

The Foxtrot

U19 12th Man
yeah kinda did that in a hurry and didnt really check over it

dont know what i was thinking

GK - Petr Cech

RB - Lucas Neil
CB - Rio Ferdinand
CB - Terry
LB - Roberto Carlos

RM - J. Cole
CM - Ballack