• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Younis Khan refuses acting as ad-hoc captain - his future might be in danger

adharcric

International Coach
I don't like Younis' move ... if the reasons are simply along the lines of not getting full-time responsibility. Be a team player, Younis. He shouldn't be expelled from the team though.

Craig

World Traveller
WHo else would captain the team?

Mohammad Yousef?

It does tell me a lot about the team and the player if he doesn't want to captain his country, even if as a fill-in role. Can't handle the extra heat?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Um, more drama from Pakistan?

Yea, refusing to captain is not grounds for expulsion. There are a lot of reasons why someone wouldn't want to be captain. I sure wouldn't want to be captain of India. Though Australia, England, NZ, etc, I'd love to captain.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
This could be a blow for Pakistan going in to a busy few months of cricket. Younis is most definitely the best choice for Pakistan, even if Inzamam was playing. Its strange, because I never took Younis for a crybaby like Inzamam.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wow.

You can't ban him, but is it me or does Younis strike others as someone who would be one of the last people you'd think would do this? He looks like someone very passionate about cricket and playing for his country, and even captaining Pak for 1 match would seem like something he'd love. He plays the game in the right spirit, so this surprises me.

Fratboy

School Boy/Girl Captain
People, the grounds for expulsion put forth by the PCB is not his refusal to captain the team. It's apparently his failure to consult the PCB before going public with his decision that has them fuming. Sounds reasonable to me.

Fusion

Global Moderator
It's so incredibly frustrating that the Pakistan Captaincy issue is always controversial. More so than any other country. Here we have in Younis a natural successor to Inzi. Yet due to infighting, we've now got a major distraction ahead of CT and the World Cup. Why can't Pak cricket ever have a smooth transition?!?

Incidentally, whatever one thinks of Inzi's captaincy abilities (or lack thereof), at least the team is united behind him. That's why I'm against sacking him as Captain before the WC.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Wasn't Afridi (supposed to be in Inzy camp) and Younis almost hitting blows at each other some time back? Younis has stated he doesn't want to captain saying, "I don't want to be a dummy captain and the reason why I have refused the captaincy will be revealed afterward."

The dummy captain bit would be him not getting freedom to implement his moves as captain in some regards which he is not happy with. Surely PCB would have consulted Younis when they had appointed him captain and he would have accepted back then.

Also, I don't think Younis Khan's committment can be doubted as Jono said. His action without consulting PCB is to be condemned though.

Last edited:

FRAZ

International Captain
PCB has nothing to do with this . I guess it was me who discussed it our here as a prediction that "What might happen once Inzamam is retired" .
The thing is there is no coordination or mutual respect among the top 4-5 players in the team bar Inzamam and Yousaf .
Shahid , Shoaib , Younis and one or two others always have had some disruptive influence on this captaincy issue . This is what happens when players think of themselves above all . PCB has tried but I guess the discipline is necessary . I don't want Younis to be removed if he is stepping back as a captain due to personal performance reasons. But if he is quitting due to this bull "mid-ship captaincy reasons" ,then I guess he should be removed ... If I was there to make any decision then I was definately going to remove him to set some example .

FRAZ

International Captain
silentstriker said:
more drama from Pakistan?
Good thing is that "people do understand the hidden things over here " . Thats why I love this place .
And by the way I guess those days are long gone with the pentium 2 when clicking the spam mails or indirectly abusing and taunting others was considered "normal".

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
FRAZ said:
I don't want Younis to be removed if he is stepping back as a captain due to personal performance reasons. But if he is quitting due to this bull "mid-ship captaincy reasons" ,then I guess he should be removed ... If I was there to make any decision then I was definately going to remove him to set some example .
Little chance of it being personal reasons despite what Woolmer said. He has mentioned he doesn't want to be a dummy captain which means it is an issue to do with the powers or longevity of the captaincy he was entrusted with.

FRAZ

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Little chance of it being personal reasons despite what Woolmer said. He has mentioned he doesn't want to be a dummy captain which means it is an issue to do with the powers or longevity of the captaincy he was entrusted with.
Removable act by younis . Un-ethical and stupid act . trying to display the personal supremacy and publicly de-grading the unity of the team . I don't want to argue with younis about "who else said what "? I am just viewing the public display of team's inner attitude and I want him out right now ... No compromise on this discipline issue at all .

Fratboy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Pratyush said:
Must be something to do with him not being entrusted with full powers. Longevity is not an excuse IMO. Dravid and Gilchrist had no problems in their time.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
This temporary thing doesn't sit with me either, considering he was tagged to be the permanant captain after Inzy retires anyway.

Must be something else.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Younis was being groomed to replace Inzi in the future. I doubt that he was so impatient that he wanted to be Captain right now. I believe this has to do with the lack of input he had when made acting captain (specially in regard to Faisal Iqbal's selection) and the fact that certain players don't give him proper respect in the Captain's role. Regardless, for him to make such a public outcry of a sensitive internal issue is dumb.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Thing is it is not a very legitimate reason agreed but the possibility of it being a reason cannot be denied. That said, the way he went about it without consulting the PCB was poor IMO.