• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Young players who failed to realise their potential

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It always seemed to be what I heard. iirc Steve was picked earlier based on his bowling too.
Australia was the worst team in world cricket at the time so there were some odd selections

Both Steve and Mark were picked for NSW on potential with many better performed players passed over

From memory, Steve was picked first & Mark was almost seen as a marketing ploy as he was out of runs in grade at the time

He was definitely regarded as the more talented of the 2 and was a much better bowler IMO (actually opened the bowling for NSW at one time)

Blenkinsop

U19 Vice-Captain
How rapid was Foottit? I remember his name in the mix for an England call up.
At his quickest, properly fast -- maybe even in the ballpark of someone like Mark Wood. I saw him in a one day game where Steven Finn was playing and he made Finn look like a medium pace trundler.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Think we can safely say Haseeb Hameed won't get to the hype when he burst onto the scene as a youngster .
A bit of a sad case but think he over-achieved when called up in the absence of any compelling alternatives in CC at the time, was over-hyped and then reverted to the mean. He's had his struggles on and off the field but his probably carving out a career at Trent Bridge that matches his ability. Rehan Ahmed could end up in a similar place, albeit hopefully without the off-field problems.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Mohammad Zahid. Took 11 wickets on debut against NZ. Lara apparently rated him the fastest he had faced at the time. Akhtar thought Zahid was faster than him. Only played 5 tests after back problems derailed his career.