• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would Jonny like some cheese and crackers with that Whine?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Apologies if this is mentioned in one of the match threads,

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/48794213

Jonny Bairstow says people are waiting for England to fail at the World Cup so they "can jump on your throat".

Former captains Kevin Pietersen and Michael Vaughan have criticised the hosts following back-to-back losses to Sri Lanka and Australia.

England currently sit fourth in the group table - the last of the semi-final places - with games to come against India and New Zealand.

"It is just showbiz. They are paid to have an opinion," said Bairstow.

etersen said one-day skipper Eoin Morgan was "scared" in the 64-run defeat by Australia, while Bairstow was played a clip from BBC Radio 5 Live of Vaughan saying England could be heading for their worst World Cup.

"As he said, he's been in two atrocious World Cups himself," the England opener responded. "We're still in the World Cup and we're playing a great brand of cricket."

England can give their qualification chances a huge boost if they beat India on Sunday. If they lose, it will come down to their final match against New Zealand at Chester-le-Street on Wednesday, as well other results.

"People were waiting for us to fail," added Yorkshire's Bairstow.

"They are not willing us on to win, in many ways, they are waiting for you to get that loss, so they can jump on your throat.

"It's a typical English thing to do, in every sport."

Michael Vaughan's response on twitter....

How wrong can @jbairstow21 be .. Never has England team had so much support but it’s you and your team that has disappointed Jonny .. WIN 2 games and you are in the semis .. With this negative, pathetic mindset I…

Zinzan

Furthermore some whining about the types of wickets they've been playing on .... I'd have thought the best team in the world could adapt to all types of wickets. not just roads.

Speaking after a visit to a Chance to Shine school as part of Yorkshire Tea National Cricket Week, Bairstow also took aim at the pitches which some groundsmen have produced at this World Cup.

There have been few of the flat, high-scoring, bat-friendly tracks England have enjoyed at home in recent years, with the home side failing to chase down modest targets on challenging surfaces against Sri Lanka and Australia.

“The pitches that we’ve been playing on the last two years are surely the pitches we [should] be playing on in a World Cup,” he said, “so I don’t know why they’ve changed.

“That wasn’t a typical Oval wicket we played South Africa on in the opening game. It wasn’t a typical Trent Bridge wicket we played Pakistan on. It wasn’t a typical Lord’s wicket that we played the other day. They’re not the typical wickets we’ve been playing on over two and a bit years. That’s just factual. But I’m not making excuses, we’ve not played well enough to beat sides when we should have done. We know that.”

Whatever conditions England face at Edgbaston on Sunday, they will not change the aggressive approach that took them to No 1 in the world – even though it has offered critics more ammunition in the past week.

“Our method doesn’t change,” said Bairstow. “Because of the way we go about it and the way we play, it doesn’t make a difference what’s been said here, what’s been said there. This group has been together for near-on three years now, if not longer. So just because we’ve lost two games in a crunch tournament and people start talking, it’s not going to change the way we go about it.”

Bairstow’s opening partner is one thing that could change on Sunday, however, should Jason Roy recover from a hamstring tear to take over from James Vince. The Yorkshireman said he and Roy have learned how their strengths complement each other’s.

“Because we’ve done it for a little while now there’s a relaxed confidence, if that makes sense,” Bairstow said. “I’ve batted with him and known him for quite a while so if he’s up or too much [up] then you can say: ‘Oi, come on’ or vice versa.

“It’s just having that understanding and you can only get that by spending time in the middle, so if he’s not fit then Vincey and I go out again and try to put on as many as we can.”

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's hard not to sympathize with him. Entered the comp with a huge reputation personally and has fallen way short. Don't think he would have made the same statement had he been doing as well as he's done before the WC (with England still having similar results somehow).

Zinzan

Makes it a lot harder to sympathise with him after that kind of performance in the media. And for him to moan about the wickets they've been playing on and then go on to say he's not making excuses...... C'mon.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess it's never a great look when a player reacts to criticism.........not sure I can see much wrong with what YJB has said there though?

Zinzan

I guess it's never a great look when a player reacts to criticism.........not sure I can see much wrong with what YJB has said there though?
Eh? You okay with the moaning about the pitches, just because they're not the perfect roads that only favour batsmen?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Vaughan is such a ****.

Suggesting that this might be one of the most disastrous WCs for England of all time is bloody rich coming from him, given he was at the helm during the whole Fredalo incident WC, which was far worse than this will end up being.

Daemon

Eh? You okay with the moaning about the pitches, just because they're not the perfect roads that only favour batsmen?
I mean you'd expect the pitches that you prepare on for years to be somewhat similar to what you get in the WC. It's a fair comment, especially considering his little disclaimer at the end.

Zinzan

I mean you'd expect the pitches that you prepare on for years to be somewhat similar to what you get in the WC. It's a fair comment, especially considering his little disclaimer at the end.
We'll have to agree to disagree. Sort of thing a player may want to comment on after the WC, not during.

Comes across poorly to me. Case of sour grapes, even with the disclaimer that they didn't play well enough.

Starfighter

The fact that it's been raining a lot (in June? Gasp!) wouldn't have helped in the creation of flat pitches.

harsh.ag

“Our method doesn’t change,” said Bairstow. “Because of the way we go about it and the way we play, it doesn’t make a difference what’s been said here, what’s been said there. This group has been together for near-on three years now, if not longer. So just because we’ve lost two games in a crunch tournament and people start talking, it’s not going to change the way we go about it."
This is my only problem tbh. They really didn't bother to have any sort of a Plan B.

Starfighter

This is my only problem tbh. They really didn't bother to have any sort of a Plan B.
It's such a poor attitude, and one that cost them a shot at the Champions Trophy. You've always got to have a backup plan, because you might just come up against something outside your comfort zone. The idea that not just giving it welly at the start of the innings or that batting first might be better should be on your mind.

I might add that I have no problem with calling Vaughan and Pietersen ****s because they are.

Top_Cat

Problem with English cricket isn't a losing team being potted by former players. This happens in Oz too. Problem is they don't shut the **** up when they're winning either.

Zinzan

It's such a poor attitude, and one that cost them a shot at the Champions Trophy. You've always got to have a backup plan, because you might just come up against something outside your comfort zone.
It's pure arrogance & a big reason many of us identified as to why they'd unlikely lift the trophy.

Only difference being, I'd thought they'd waltz though pool play and possibly fall over under pressure in a knock-out game. I did not think they could struggle to actually make the semis.

trundler

England ending the decade with 0 trophies after 'redefining the format' will be epic.